INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Original Artist" field  (Read 1767 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
"Original Artist" field
« on: August 04, 2005, 02:01:55 pm »

In Winamp I got used to (and therefor filled) the field "Original Artist" for every track but somehow in MC11 I can't find neither that field nor the information itself even when "Show all fileds" is checked in Tag Info.
What is wrong?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: "Original Artist" field
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 06:58:58 pm »

I suppose you are speaking about MP3 format. ID3V2 tag TOPE (= Original artist) is not used in MC. I don't know about other file/tag formats.

You could copy the contents of the TOPE tags to TPE2 (=Band/orchestra), TPE3 (=Conductor/performer) or TCOM (Composer) field with a third party program like Tag & Rename. MC supports these fields. Inside MC you can make new fields without a limit and copy or move contents between the fields.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 04:47:32 am »

>Alex B
You are right - MP3, ID3v2 TAG, TOPE (sorry for not mentioning it).
But why this field is not used in MC? Isn't it a standard field? Those you suggest (TPE2, TPE3, TCOM) are really something different to "Original Artist"...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 03:52:01 am »

I started to write this answer:
As many users have found MC does not use all standard ID3v2 tags. I don't know why, perhaps for historical reasons. The programmers developed the system years ago.

That doesn't bother me. I use MC as my main media organizer and tagger. I use many file formats. Some of them use different tagging standards, some don't support tagging at all. I have also many custom library fields that don't exist in any standards.

It is enough for me that the most basic tags like Artist, Name, Track # and Album, use standard fields and show up correctly when the files are occasionally used with other programs or devices. ...

However, I decided to check what happens when a custom field named Original Artist is created. To my surprise, MC used the TOPE tag for it. So I was wrong. MC supports TOPE.

Just make a new library field in Tools > Options > Library > Add and name it exactly as Original Artist. I selected Extended for the category, but you can choose anything you like (the field will show up in the selected category in Action Window > Tag Info). Tick Store in file tags (when possible) too.

You can add this new field to your views in View > Customize Current View.

You need to do Update Library (from tags) once for importing the field info.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 06:55:21 am »

>Alex B
Wow - it really works! What a great advice! Thank you

BTW I suppose I can see your point - being satisfied with MC as it is...
Pages: [1]   Go Up