INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zen Micro Playlists  (Read 4872 times)

WavePhile

• Recent member
Zen Micro Playlists
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:23:36 pm »

Hi,

Is it not possible to transfer a playlist in MC to a Zen Micro as a playlist?

I'm having no problems moving the actual files, but the playlist doesn't get added as a playlist in the Zen Micro.  Even though playlists are shown (and can be added) in Zen's Explorer, they aren't visible and can't be added in MC.

Actually, nothing can really be accessed from MC, although I can see "Album," "All Content," "Artist," and "Genre."  When I right-click on "Creative Zen Micro (My Zen)," nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Zen Micro Playlists
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 07:58:48 am »

What firmware do you have installed for the Micro? If you have the MTP firmware installed, you should have no problem. If not, browse to Program Files\JRiver\Media Center 11\Data\Default Resources and find  a file called PDT.xml. Open it with notepad and find the entry for Zen Micro and then edit the 'Type' field to '1' instead of '2'.

Steve

WavePhile

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 12:23:15 am »

Thanks.  That worked.  I had 1.02.XX installed and went all the way to 1.11.03.  Then I edited the xml file.

I must have not had that MTP firmware installed.  What is the advantage of the MTP firmware, if any?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 09:31:55 am »

No Creative drivers or driver upgrades are needed. On the MC side, MC recognizes and remembers what files are on the Micro so the interaction with MC should be much faster.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:44:52 pm »

Steve, it's been a while since I helped my daughter transfer files to her Zen Micro.  There are two choices of firmware upgrades available now, but I'm not sure how MC11 will run with each.

At nomadworld.com, I see
version 1.11.01 dated July 1, 2005 and 
version 2.11.02 dated March 10, 2005. (for Napster To Go (NTG)).

I never went to the Napster To Go version because it had been listed as beta for a long time.  It doesn't say beta anymore, so I guess the 2.11.02 should work with Napster To Go now.  This might be our preference since we would be able to use it with NTG.

Does MC11 support Zen Micro firmware 2.11.02 with NTG?
If not, is 1.11.01 considered MTP firmware? 
Would either of these firmwares need the edit to the PDT file?

What do you recommend I use, and what if anything needs to be done with MC11?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 09:46:23 am »

MC will work with 2.11.02. You do not need to edit the PDT file or do anything special to have this work. I recommend that you go with that version.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 01:18:54 pm »

Steve, I wasn't able to transfer Napster To Go songs to the Zen Micro using MC11.  I assume this isn't supported yet? Please confirm.

Also, I transferred a Playlist (non Napster To Go) and the tracks transferred fine.  I used the Synchronize button and selected just the one Playlist to test the transfer. The Playlist name transferred to the Zen Micro too, but when I select the Playlist on the Zen Micro it is blank--no tracks listed. 

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 10:13:13 am »

BullishDad,

I am able to transfer subscription tracks from Yahoo using MC with no problem and have no problem with the playlists. I can setup an account with Napster to test your issue. Are you trying to transfer purchased tracks or subscription tracks? Also, I presume you set up a Partenership within Yahoo with your Micro, correct?

Thanks,

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 11:55:29 am »

Steve, these are subscription tracks from Napster To Go.  I set up a partnership for the Zen Micro to work with NTG.  I had no problem transferring when using WMP10 or from Napster itself.

The other issue was the blank playlist which consisted of non-protected files.  I did notice that the ZM showed the playlist in a subfolder (which was empty) whereas WMP was directly under the Playlist Menu.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 03:34:55 pm »

Can you detail how you got the Napster To Go subscription track into MC and then initiated the transfer?

Thanks.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 06:21:29 pm »

Steve, I used the Napster client to download the track, played it for a few seconds, then closed Napster.  Next I opened MC, did Library Import to add the track.  I played it in MC for about 10 seconds and it played fine.  After that I plugged in the Zen Micro, clicked on Handheld Player in the Action Window and dragged the file to the transfer area.

When I clicked the Transfer button, I received this message:
The following 1 files cannot be transferred.  Common errors include insufficient rights or filetype.

Remove the unsupported files and continue the transfer.

Errors
Mood Indigo-No rights

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 06:35:12 pm »

Are you using MC11?

And is MTP turned on?  I looked up your old posts and it looks like you know about the pdt.xml file.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 07:11:25 pm »

Jim, how do you turn on MTP?  The device name in MC11 says "Creative Zen Micro".  I was under the impression that the MTP firmware (2.11.02) didn't need an edit to the pdt file.  I tried it anyway with no success.

I noticed the entry in the pdt file for MTP Device.  Maybe this is what I need.  Looked in options-Handheld players and didn't see any checkbox for MTP.

Media Center Registered 11.0.311 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1693 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 193 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2713 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050702-1513) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: TDK     CDRW401240B       Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: TDK      CDRW401240B        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 07:20:23 pm »

I'm not the expert on this, but I believe you can edit the pdt.xml file with Notepad.  Try reading other posts here to see what Steve had to say.

This file tells MC what to expect, how to treat the device.  The firmware may have converted your device to be MTP capable, but MC may not know that.

This is a problem area for us right now, since everything is moving.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 07:36:04 pm »

I read thru Steve's posts and tried the edit even though I didn't think it would be necessary if I was using the Creative MTP firmware 2.11.02.  I only edited the pdt file under the entry for Creative Zen Micro.  I changed it back after it didn't work.

I did have some problems with Windows XP recognizing the Zen Micro as an MTP device.  However, it now does, so if there is a way to let MC know there is an MTP device connected, that may do the trick.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 07:44:08 pm »

... so if there is a way to let MC know there is an MTP device connected, that may do the trick.
That's what the pdt table does.  It's possible you need to restart MC.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 08:55:02 pm »

Jim, I did try restarting MC11 as well as rebooting the PC.  In addition I tried a similar test with my Dell DJ (Gen2) on a different PC.  Same problem as the Zen Micro when I try to transfer Napster To Go tracks from MC's library.  No rights.

I noticed also that when looking at the transfer queue info it says, "No Rights" under Status.  So somehow MC is failing to recognize that I do have Napster To Go rights.

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 09:38:49 am »

I downloaded Sheryl Crow's 'Good is Good' this morning and transferred it to my Micro and it played without problem. One possibility is that you have exceeded the allowable number of transfers with the files you are testing. Could you get the track that I mentioned and attempt a transfer with MC before transferring it with another application?

Thanks.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 11:09:38 am »

Steve, are you using Napster To Go (NTG)?  Sounds like you are. 

I know I did not exceed the maximum allowable transfers because I purposely picked an obscure title that I hadn't downloaded before and immediately imported it into the MC11 library.  I've tried various NTG tracks and always get the same error message.  Also after Indigo Mood failed to transfer using MC11, I was able to transfer it successfully using WMP10.

I'd be happy to try "Good is Good", but frankly I don't think the title will matter.  My daughter may have already downloaded that track as well.

I noticed "No Rights" under the Status column when I viewed the transfer queue.  What does it say for you when it works properly?

SteveG

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 01:16:21 pm »

It says 'Ready' and then transfers.

Yes, I am using Napster To Go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up