INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with UpNP and Real Audio  (Read 1213 times)

pjgregory

• Recent member
Help with UpNP and Real Audio
« on: August 05, 2005, 09:20:25 am »

Hi

I have MC 11.0.309 and and am using the UpNP server to stream my Audio Library to  a Roxan Soundbrige.  No problems, it worked as soon as I selected convert audio (WAV)  to mpeg and downloaded the wav to mpeg converter.

However I cannot find how to stream RealAudio internet radio, in particular my set of BBC stations.   What is the process for making them visible to the Roxan? Do I have to create a playlist? Do I need to download a format converter?

Many thanks for any help

Paul

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Help with UpNP and Real Audio
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 10:00:14 am »

Hi Paul,

We cannot stream RealAudio via the UPnP server. We don't have access to the internal format. Sorry.

j

pjgregory

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 10:20:00 am »

Hi John

Ahh! Another gotcha!!

Its my dream to have one piece of media management software that can store, manage and distribute all my different forms of media - CD's, images, internet radio, podcasts etc. - via UPnP to different rooms in the house.  MC 11 is way ahead of anything else I have tried - until this.  :(

Is the problem with RealAudio radio a technical problem or a "Rights" problem?

With a bit more searching, I have found a way to send RealAudio stations over UPnP.  It is described fully here:

http://www.expansys.com.hk/forumthread.asp?code=111214&thread=113

In short-

1.  Use WinAmp 5.09 with a TaraAudio plugin to received RealAudio encoded stations.
2.  Use a Shoutcast plugin to WinAmp to output this as streaming MP3
3.  Use Shoutcast server v1.9.5 to take the MP3 stream and create a local host streaming internet radio station.
4.  Use a Twonkyvision UPnP server to redirect this output to the Soundbridge.

All of this software is free, but it still takes up a bit of processing power.

Can I shortcircuit some of this by inputing either the streaming MP3 (Step 2) or the streaming Shoutcast (Step 3) directly into MC 11.   At the moment, I cannot find any way of specifying an internet radio station directly by URL.  Then I would only need the WinAmp front end as a sort of "radio tuner".  I could create a single playlist in MC11 with all my radio stations, both MP3 and RealAudio.

Another small step towards audio nivana.

Paul

pjgregory

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 12:08:02 pm »

Hi

It's all working!  I should have actually read the MC11 help section which tells you how to open a sream by URL.  ;D

By setting the URL to 'http://localhost:8000', I can point MC to the output of the Shoutcast server.  Once BBC Radio4 is playing in MC, I just added it to the Radio Playlist and its visible on my UPnP device.

The only downside as mentioned in orignal post, is that you need to run a separate instance of WinAmp for each station you want to tune to.  Still its much better than nothing.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to tune in to RealAudio Stations

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up