INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music library filtering view is VERY SLOW  (Read 1723 times)

1ns4nity

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Music library filtering view is VERY SLOW
« on: August 12, 2005, 03:30:12 am »

Hi guys,

I just love all the features of MC 11. I've been a faithful user since v9. However, I have always thought that the filtering feature (using the filter box in the top right hand corner) is extremely slow. I know the search runs as you type but why does it appear to lag terribly?

Compare that to the way itunes can display its filter results almost instanteously! Is there any way that this can be fixed/improved? Like turning on music indexing??? THanks....

BTW I have a P4 3Ghz/1.5GB ram system so I don't think its lack of power...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Music library filtering view is VERY SLOW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 05:31:46 am »

It is called searching in MC. The search speed is not a constant factor in MC. It depends on the size of your media library, number of the library fields, the complexity of the search expression, etc.

It might help to understand what you mean if you could post detailed examples.

I have about 40000 library items and over 40 fields. I have not found the Search excessively slow. A simple text search in the whole library takes perhaps two seconds. Complex search expressions are slower though.

I imported once a subset of my library to iTunes (only the supported formats). I recall that the whole program was sluggish with about 20000 tracks. That was several iTunes versions ago and I did not try the search speed.

Edit

I re-read your post. Do you mean just typing and the text display in the Search dialog? It seems to be instant on my PC. I never type so slowly that the search starts before the string is ready. (MC 11.0.311)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

1ns4nity

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 09:00:14 am »

My library is only about 4000 big and it takes about 2-5 seconds. I find that extremely slow given that desktop search software (eg Google desktop) can scan through all the files on my computer in < 1 sec.

Just wondering why the search has not been optimised even though most people using MC have a huge library collection  ?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 11:33:32 am »

Well my library is approx 21k+ items, using a P3 700 with 256Mb RAM.

switching from PN to library  takes 2-5 secs as well. searching using Locate-> artist etc takes slightly less. In any case most operations i perform on a daily basis conform closely to the 3 second rule.

With your specs i would have expected it be twice as fast a mine at least.

If you are talking tagging, which seems slightly slower than in MC 10, there is a thread discussing it already.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 12:14:19 pm »

That's sounds way too slow for a 3ghz machine.

Try creating a fresh library.  Import just a few tracks.  Then some more.  Time it at each step of the way.

Restart MC after the import to make sure you're doing a fair test.

Let us know what you find.

Best,
-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 12:20:29 pm »

My library is only about 4000 big and it takes about 2-5 seconds. I find that extremely slow given that desktop search software (eg Google desktop) can scan through all the files on my computer in < 1 sec...

MC has several default search fields. If you don't define in which field you like to search MC will search them all. When you search HD files you are searching only for the filenames. This can make some of the difference.

Out of curiosity I searched for *.* in the filenames in My Computer with Windows Explorer. The search found 334410 files and it took at least 10 minutes (I lost the count). After the search was finished explorer.exe was using 220 MB of memory. MC performs quite well in this comparison.  :)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 02:31:38 pm »

Defnitely, it helps to memorise the keywords for comon fields

Options->Library-> (Tag )  Edit

any field you want to see what keywords it uses, or add your own

typing al=<a word of the album title>

is way quicker than just typing the album name in the search field.

1ns4nity

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 08:37:29 pm »

Thanks for that tip :) It did help speed up the search a little. I only choose fields like title/album/artist as default search fields.

In response to the other person's results from using windows search, I never talked about window's search. Window's search is just about the worst search implementation I've seen. I was talking about new desktop search engines like yahoo's or google's which use indexing. Thanks anyways :)

I might try rebuilding the library now...

Defnitely, it helps to memorise the keywords for comon fields

Options->Library-> (Tag )  Edit

any field you want to see what keywords it uses, or add your own

typing al=<a word of the album title>

is way quicker than just typing the album name in the search field.

Pages: [1]   Go Up