INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double queing songs  (Read 1803 times)

arsenal

• Recent member
Double queing songs
« on: August 17, 2005, 02:10:19 pm »

I posted about an issue Media Center has of double-queuing songs from the Explorer extension about 1-2 months ago and the issue is still here.  I'm currently using 11.0.309 but I read the changelog for the last 3 versions and this hasn't been addressed there either.

To reproduce:
Open Windows Explorer, have folder tree view active, navigate to a directory containing mp3's, right-click that directory in the tree -> Media Center -> Play.  If there's 10 songs in that directory you will have in your Playing Now: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.

Specs:
P4 3.4 w/HT
2GB RAM
Massive disk space.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Double queing songs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:24:05 pm »

I can't duplicate this.

What do you mean by "have folder tree view active"?  In IE?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 03:14:46 pm »

Thanks, Marko.  I still can't duplicate the problem.

arsenal

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 04:09:44 pm »

Yes, marko described the setup perfectly with the explorer side-bar thing.  That's what I meant.  Just now I opened MC, deleted the Playing Now list and closed it.  Then right-clicked a directory containing mp3's -> Media Center -> Play.  It double-queued them.  So no, appending the imported songs to an existing Playing Now list isn't what's causing this.  This is reproduceable every time for me.  Perhaps the Hyper Threading feature of the cpu is doubly executing the shell import function?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 04:12:24 pm »

Doubtful.  Is it possible you actually have duplicates in the directory?  Or in a sub-directory under it?

If not, please try an uninstall, reboot, reinstall.

arsenal

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 04:23:49 pm »

Just did 2 more tests:

1. Right-click a folder containing mp3's -> Media Center -> Play.  There's 3 songs in this dir and each  shows up twice in Playing Now.  Close MC, right-click same directory -> Media Center -> Play.  It looks same as before, the 3 songs show up twice each in Playing Now.  No appending.

2. Right-click a folder containing mp3's -> Media Center -> Play.  The 3 songs show up twice each.  Don't close MC.  Right-click the same folder containing mp3's again -> Media Center -> Play.  Now those 3 songs show up 4 times each, for a total of 12 songs in Playing Now.  So if you don't close MC yes it appends, but it's still double-queuing the songs (at least here it is).

arsenal

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 04:25:04 pm »

Doubtful.  Is it possible you actually have duplicates in the directory?  Or in a sub-directory under it?

If not, please try an uninstall, reboot, reinstall.
This problem has existed for me for quite a few months.  It's spanned MC reinstalls and upgrades as well as OS formats and reinstalls. 

Edit: And no, no mp3's in any subdirs exist.
Edit 2: Come to think of it, this problem has existed for me across different pc's.  Just upgraded my system a couple months ago and I remember it doing it on the old system (that cpu had HT as well).

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 04:34:00 pm »

I can not reproduce this

Media Center Registered 11.0.309 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3047 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 130 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive J: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GMA-4020B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: IDE-DVD  DVDRW8651          Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive J: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 05:04:56 pm »

Do you wear bi-focals?

Just kidding.

If the Hyperthreading is the factor, then the bug is in the OS.  But it's unlikely.

Did you try the uninstall I suggested?

Try the MC options for general/behavior also.

Check the OS file associations.  Try deleting it for MP3 and letting MC add it.

221bBS

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 05:08:05 pm »

I can't reporduce this either...well not completely true...I remember it doing it when I had a playlist of the songs in the same folder but I'm guessing thats not why this is happening

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 05:19:42 pm »

I can't reporduce this either...well not completely true...I remember it doing it when I had a playlist of the songs in the same folder but I'm guessing thats not why this is happening

yes it will add dups if a play list of the files is in the folder (just tested that).

i don't think that is a bug however
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

arsenal

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 09:04:37 pm »

AHA!  It was the playlist doing it.  I moved that out of the dir that had those 3 .mp3's and now.....no double-queing.  :D  So any time you play songs through the Explorer extension and there's a playlist file in the same dir as some .mp3 files, MC will load both the physical .mp3's as well as the songs that the playlist refers to.  Most likely the playlist file will be pointing to the same .mp3's as are in that folder with it so you end up with dupes..

Thanks for helping to figure out what was causing this guys.  I'm curious if it would benefit everyone to either not load playlist files through the shell extension at the same time while loading audio files that way, or load playlist files as well as audio files but do some type of check to ensure there's no dupes. 

Now that I know what's causing the dupes I can work around it but it means actually going into the dir and searching for the playlist file to double-click on (which would be a little bit less convenient).   :P

arsenal

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 04:34:12 pm »

Hehe.. so did anyone have any feedback about my suggestion of not loading playlists through the shell extension?  I'd really prefer to not have to go into the dir and hunt for the playlist file..  But maybe someone else finds it useful to double-queue the songs ?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 04:51:02 pm »

Doubtful if will happen. It just might be quicker to change your behavior.

Instead of queuing up from the folder why don't you use the right pane and add the playlist instead.

Or, use the panes and select the album from there. I have hardly needed to use explorer at all for finding stuff. Except for moving directories..but that that's another topic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up