INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem in XML export  (Read 955 times)

Dean Roddey

• Recent member
Problem in XML export
« on: August 20, 2005, 06:39:24 pm »

I'm not sure you want to do anything about this or not. But one our customers was trying to load his exported XML file, and it wasn't working. He sent it to me and it's because an invalid character being generated:

The production for XMLChars is:

Char    ::=    #x9 | #xA | #xD | [#x20-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] | [#x10000-#x10FFFF]

So only 3 chars below space are allowed. There were trailing \x04 characters on some of his lines. The stuff it was on was actually source code. I'm not sure why source code is in the database but it looked like it was all legitimately there, not just junk.

Anyway, though you guys are correctly escaping characters, you aren't filtering for illegal ones, and it might save a lot of sanity down the line if you would warn about this during the export process.
Dean Roddey
droddey@charmedquark.com
Charmed Quark Systems

Dean Roddey

• Recent member
Re: Problem in XML export
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:53:58 am »

Just making sure that someone has seen and acknowledged this problem? There doesn't seem to be any other official way to report errors, so I just want to know that this problem has been noted.
Dean Roddey
droddey@charmedquark.com
Charmed Quark Systems

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 03:14:59 pm »

We'll see if we can duplicate the problem.

Dean Roddey

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 06:45:13 pm »

From what he said, I guess when you do an automatic scan for files, that it will pick up development projects or source files? They were clearly supposed to be there, since they were marked as such in the exported XML, so I assume they were legitimately imported.

So that means that you can effectively import random data, and unless you are explicitly checking that text files you import really are just text, then this problem will happen, since you'll then export it back out and generate invalid XML.
Dean Roddey
droddey@charmedquark.com
Charmed Quark Systems

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 07:03:21 pm »

It's entirely possible.  This is, for the most part, an area that's little explored in MC.  But we'll try to make it right.  Thanks for reporting it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up