INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble with Shoutcast "Tune In" links - SOLVED.  (Read 1925 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Trouble with Shoutcast "Tune In" links - SOLVED.
« on: August 22, 2005, 04:25:11 pm »

I used to be able to use the "Tune In" buttons on the Shoutcast directory page to play the stations with JR Media Center.  I just tried this, however, and it no longer works.  When I click the "Tune In" link for a radio station, I get an "Open file" dialogue.  When I hit "Open," I get an error showing a link to a "temporary internet files" file, and the words "Invalid Menu Handle."  If I instead "Save" the file to the desktop and play it, it works fine, but not when I "Open" it directly.

I tried playing with my security settings and clearing my IExplorer cache, but this didn't help.  I can't switch to another browswer, so I need to get this to work with IExplorer.

Thanks for any assistance with this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Trouble with Shoutcast "Tune In" links.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 02:00:16 pm »

Does anyone else here ever use Shoutcast links that might be able to help with this?

Thanks,

Larry

dNj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 10:52:43 am »

I was just checking the forum, for the solution to my same problem.  Hopefully, we will get a response soon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 11:16:52 am »

I have no problems with 11.0.311. (I have not updated yet, because there was nothing for me.)  What version are you using?

I played some links in this address: http://yp.shoutcast.com/.

My firewall software asked for the permission, but after I granted it I had no problems.

Could you guys provide example links that don't work for you or is it any link?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 03:10:40 pm »

I have no problems with 11.0.311. (I have not updated yet, because there was nothing for me.)  What version are you using?

I played some links in this address: http://yp.shoutcast.com/.

My firewall software asked for the permission, but after I granted it I had no problems.

Could you guys provide example links that don't work for you or is it any link?

It's any link -- I tried the first few at the address you linked (I usually use "www" instead of "yp" in the address, but the result is the same.)  When I hit the link, the windows "open/save file" dialogue comes up.  When I hit "open," I get the "Invalid menu handle" error.  This happened with version 311, and happens with 313 as well.

We're both talking about the "Tune In" buttons, correct?  Are you using Internet Explorer?  As I said, I can save the .pls file to the desktop and play it, but I cannot play it directly.  I did notice one thing that "may" be a clue as to what's happening.  When the error comes up, it refers to a file that has a number added to it -- i.e. "...shoutcast-playlist.pls" is shown as "shoutcast-playlist[1].pls" in the error message.  This has something to do with the way IExplorer downloads files, but could this have something to do with what's happening?

I realize that MC is most likely not responsible for why this is happening, but I think our best chance of a solution will come from an MC user.

Thanks for any help with this,

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 04:19:41 pm »

After pressing the "Tune In!" button IE shows this on my PC:

After selecting "Open" MC plays the stream just fine.

I guess the altered filename has something to do with your problem, but I don't know why it happens.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 06:35:32 pm »

Thanks for posting the picture.  I noticed that your "file download" box looks different than mine -- yours has a "More info" button that I don't have (I just get Open, Save, and Cancel as my choices.)  I also get a little blue shield with a question mark at the bottom of the window that you don't have.  This is the litte security "info" blurb that talks about potential harm to the computer and has a "What's the risk" link.  It looks like you may be using an older version since I believe these security notices started showing up with SP2.  Are you using the latest updates of everything?

If anyone has any idea why some of us are getting this streaming issue, please let us know.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 06:39:20 pm »

Is there perhaps some security setting in IE that could be causing this (since it works if I download the pls file to the desktop and THEN open it)?  Maybe some "Active X" or other security setting in IE?  I tried playing around with the basic settings, but I still get the error.

Thanks again for any help with this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 06:45:22 pm »

I solved it!

I have both MC10 and MC11 installed on this system, and this issue was apparently caused by the file association settings.  The file association for pls files (i.e. "Audio Playlist" files) was checked in MC10's settings.  I unchecked this box, then closed MC10, opened MC11, and went into MC11's file association settings and checked the "Audio Playlist" box there instead.  The Tune In links now work.

Thanks again for your help,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Trouble with Shoutcast "Tune In" links - SOLVED.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 07:27:04 pm »

Larry,
You're the Poster Child for Steadfast Determination and Undaunted Courage.

Nice work finding the solution!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Trouble with Shoutcast "Tune In" links - SOLVED.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 05:31:48 am »

Larry,
You're the Poster Child for Steadfast Determination and Undaunted Courage.

Nice work finding the solution!

Ah -- the good ol' S.D.U.C.

Thanks.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up