INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APE to MP3 to iPod  (Read 1631 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
APE to MP3 to iPod
« on: August 22, 2005, 07:52:47 am »

I have a library of about 2,500 CD’s in APE format.  I use an iPod, so the synchronisation process is slow, as each file has to be converted to MP3.  I also use an iShuffle and a thought occurred to me…

If the storage availability exists, I am sure most people chose a non-lossy format.  In doing so I also assume that most people update the tags from the library once in a while.  [There are some issues there, but that’s another posting for later.]

What I would like is a conversion “service” to take a selection of files based upon tagging criteria and convert them on a regular basis ( if changes have been made ) so as to keep a replica of an APE library in MP3.

For instance:-
i)   Select all songs rated 5Star and convert to 128bitMP3 – e.g. for an iShuffle
ii)   Select all songs rated 3 star & above and convert to VBRMP3 – e.g. for an iPod.
And this runs as a task daily, or maybe as a “service” with a low priority.  I believe the latter choice may not work as the APE conversion is somewhat archaic and cannot be prioritised.

Is this workable in MC??

nick

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Re: APE to MP3 to iPod
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 11:45:57 am »

Yeah, I'd be interested in the same thing but it is probably too much of a niche thing...but then again iPod... ;)

NickM

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:18:35 pm »

Would MC be able to do this from the command line interface?

nick

NickM

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 09:35:52 pm »

I looked though the command line listing, and I presume that I can do a command to  MCC_SELECT_ALL then MCC_CONVERT.  How are the parameters for convert passed in the command?  And where do I find the list of them?
nick

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 08:39:17 am »

I do not know the answer. Try starting a thread on the command line questions and see if you get any responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up