INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capturing Smartlists  (Read 921 times)

MattM

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Capturing Smartlists
« on: September 03, 2005, 12:31:19 am »

I use a bunch of smartlists to create randomized playlists loosely based on genre.  MC is set up to sync these smartlists with my IPod to keep a fresh supply of music on it.  After months of usage, I've noticed that the "random" smartlists plays favorites with some songs and ignores others.  I would like to ensure a proper of rotation of songs from my library to my ipod.  I've experimented with play count, but the Ipod is a pain for this since you have to scrub to the end of the song to increase the count.

One solution to this problem is to create a smarlist that will create a random list of songs not currently on the ipod.  I have no idea how to create such a smartlist

Another option would be to maintain a static playlist of songs previously transferred to the IPod.  This has ended up being harder then it would initially appear.  Since smartlists automatically refresh there is no way for me to capture the songs actually transferred to the ipod.  I have at least 5 smartlists syncing at any particular time and cutting and pasting from the smartlists to static lists is not desirable.  I've tried copying all of the files on the ipod to a playlist, but the copied files have no correlation with the files in my music library (assuming that the filename is functioning as a unique identifier).  There is no correlation because the copied files refer to the files on the ipod and not in MC.  I have expeimented with expressions to see if I can establish such a correlation  but have had no luck.

Does anyone have suggestions?

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Re: Capturing Smartlists
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 01:45:41 am »

Two ways to create a smartlist of songs that are on your iPod.
1. See the 'Larry's iPod Notes' thread in this message section to create a field to flag which songs go on your iPod and use that field to filter songs that are not on your ipod for your smartlist.
2. Create a master smartlist called something like 'All iPod Songs' that includes all of the other playlists and smartlists that you sync to your iPod.

Both methods will give you a smartlist of songs on your iPod. Then create a new smartlist that excludes the master iPod songs smartlist and includes some limited number of random songs from the rest of your collection. Good luck.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Capturing Smartlists
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:03:44 pm »

Thanks for the post BlueGlow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up