INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto rip  (Read 3437 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Auto rip
« on: June 13, 2002, 03:57:56 pm »

I'm not using MJ (yet).  The feature I've been holding out for is "auto rip" - the ability to set MJ up so that it automatically starts up and rips a CD, when the CD is put in the drive.  I've been dying to switch to MJ from Siren Jukebox, but, up to now, Siren supports auto-rip and MJ didn't.  Does it now?

- Dave

sekim

RE:Auto rip
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 04:42:50 pm »

It doesn't at this point. However, this might be something to add to the wish list for future releases.

Is this really the only thing holding you back from MJ? Seems that a couple of mouse clicks shouldn't be a stumbling block from getting the BEST jukebox on the market.

Chris Fox

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 04:45:17 pm »

Funny you should ask for this.  I just added an item to the wish list earlier today.  Great minds think alike Next Page

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 05:24:51 am »

Rats.  I've posted this on the wish list a couple of times in the past year.  Hopefully, it will make it into the product eventually.

Machinehead - yes, believe it or not, this is what's keeping me from using MJ.  I'm actually fairly happy with Siren, and I won't switch until MJ has auto-rip.  The problem for me is that I run this on a computer that's connected to my home theater, and the display is a projector.  I need to fire up the projector to interact with the program.  Actually, I also am able to remote-control the computer from a laptop.  But, it's a nuisance.  Especially when I've just bought a pile of new CD's, I like to be able to pop a couple into each of my drives and walk away, without having to bother with waiting for the program to start up, and navigating the UI to tell it to rip my music.

- Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 06:16:34 am »

Here's where we are with this now:

The next version of MJ will have an "Auto Rip" mode.  You'll have to start MJ, open CD Copy, and then click "Auto Rip"

However, after that point, you can just load CD's into any of your CD drives at leisure and MJ will do the rest.  Should work pretty slick for powering through a stack of discs.

Hopefully that'll make ya' a happy camper... (if not, let us know)

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 06:55:18 am »

Matt:

Awesome!!  Let me just clarify that you're describing what I want.

When you say that you have to "start MJ, open CD Copy, and then click "Auto Rip"" - that is a one-time thing, right?  It wouldn't help me if you had to start MJ each time you want to start ripping.  What Siren does, and what I (and I'm sure anyone else), would prefer, would be if MJ auto-started when a CD was inserted, and then ripped.  If you have to start it manually, that doesn't solve my problem - I'd still need to turn on my projector.

Also, you didn't mention it, but I assume that you can pick the default settings for auto-rip (codec, data rate, etc).  Correct?

Thanks.

- Dave

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 07:13:20 am »

As it's currently planned, you'll have to start up MJ and select the CD copy tool bar button, then click "auto rip" to get the process rolling. Then you just feed new disks when the previous ones finish. We'll think about adding an option to auto-rip on startup of Media Jukebox. Anyone else interested in this feature?

Thanks,
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 07:29:17 am »

I don't think I like the sounds of Auto Start/Auto Rip.  I prefer the scenario Matt describes.  However, if I can turn off Auto Start/Auto Rip, fine.

Also, some policy has to be in place for CDDB lookup failures (you wouldn't want MJ to automatically rip a bunch of unnamed tracks, would you?).  Ditto multiple matches.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2002, 07:32:22 am »

The auto-startup rip if implemented would definitely be optional. For CDDB lookup failures, you would still have to click on the message boxes or cancel the procedure.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2002, 07:33:33 am »

Thanks, John.

Well, again, that only half-way implements what I need, and as such, doesn't help me.

So, please, please implement the auto-start auto-rip thingy.  I'm not sure I can think of a reason why this wouldn't be preferable.  The only reason I can think of is if you have something else that you want to happen on insert of a CD.  What else would you want to happen?  Hmmm.  Perhaps to play the cd?  Even this is solvable - just have MJ first look to see if the CD has already been ripped.  If it has, play it - otherwise, rip it.  Maybe even have a third option - "Always Rip".  This would be useful if you decide that you want to change your compression ratio, for example, and decide to re-rip your whole collection...

- Dave

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2002, 08:11:36 pm »

Dave T:

Just a question.  What is your current procedure with regards to CDDB lookup in your "auto-rip" setup?
Do you not use it?
or do you just accept whatever comes?
eg: it can be flakely with "various artists" cds, or live recordings and special editions.

Thanks
p.

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2002, 10:15:03 pm »

I've also been begging for this on the wish list, calling it "mass ripping". I'm not so much into the omigawd-i-have-zero-control over it ripping, but just the ability to copy and encode and then copy more while the encoding is catching up, a metaphor I was fond of in 7.2. Also the ability to rip sequentially using multiple drives if you have them.
Severian

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2002, 04:02:44 am »

I completly agree with Dave T about a fully automatic Auto Ripping feature.  Not only does Siren have it but Real JukeBox has had it for almost two years as does the current RealOne Player.

The Auto Ripping feature should of course be an optional item as it is in the Real products.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2002, 05:34:49 am »

Peleton:

Yes, I use CDDB (actually, Siren uses FreeDB, but same idea).  I'd be lost without it.  And, yes, I take whatever comes.  It's rarely an issue.  I'm not that picky, though, so ymmmv.  I'd much rather have the convenience of auto-rip, than having to go through and pick how things are labeled.

Severian:

I forgot to mention in my request that it copies to the hard drive asynchronously from the encoding.  If you've got a lot of free space on the hard drive, this would make things a lot easier.  Siren can't do this, and I've often wished it did.  That way, you can feed in all your CD's to be ripped in much less time, and then let the encoding run overnight, or whatever.

- Dave

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2002, 09:57:53 am »

Matt, et al:

It's been a couple of months, so I thought I'd check in.  Are you any closer to implementing auto-rip as discussed, or do you have an ETA for it?  Or (even better), is it in the maintenance release that you guys just emailed me about?

- Dave

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2002, 10:09:08 am »

Dava,

ETA for Auto rip is version 9.

Nikolay

cjdshaw

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2002, 01:15:04 pm »

As long as you made a command line switch that started MJ in auto-rip mode, you could associate audio CD's with

mjextman /autorip

or something. Then it would automatically start ripping when you put a CD in. Hopefully, it would recognise if you'd already ripped a CD and not do it again.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2002, 10:16:21 am »

Ok, since nobody seems to want to project when 9 will be out, would it be possible for me to get a beta copy after auto-rip has been added, so I can provide some feedback?

- Dave

lee269

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2002, 11:01:59 am »

Dave T

Previous betas have been posted on here (sometimes at the rate of one new build each day) for all forum members to try, with no need to register for a beta testing programme. Assuming this will happen with v9, just keep monitoring Interact.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2002, 01:45:30 pm »

Yes, Auto-Rip is in the preview of 9 available here. (it's not at all ready for real use though)

Auto-startup isn't there yet, but we'll see what we can do...

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2002, 01:49:28 pm »

Thanks, Matt!

I tried downloading V9, and it blue-screened my NT machine (not my real music machine).  So, I think I'll wait until it's more stable before I put it on my jukebox machine.

And, please do add the auto-startup.  It can't be too hard, right? - you must already support auto-startup on CD insertion to play CD's, so this is just another mode it would jump to on startup.

Finally, you didn't say, but I assume that it would support auto-ripping from more than one CD drive, and auto-overwriting music that's already there (in the case of accidental re-rips, or intentional re-rips to change the bitrate, for example).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out!  Then, I can finally retire Siren and become a full-time MJ user!

- Dave

Dave T

• World Citizen
Re: Auto rip
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2002, 11:55:15 am »

For anyone interested, I started a thread in the Beta forum here, to discuss this feature.

- Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up