INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Playback Filter: Bug?  (Read 3343 times)

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
Media Center Playback Filter: Bug?
« on: September 05, 2005, 04:11:10 am »

I have searched the forums without success...I hate to make a stink, but it seems that when Media Center jumped from 9 to 10 we lost something that was very useful: the playback filter.  This was a great way to avoid playing songs (e.g. Christmas songs) that might come up in a smartlist (especially random ones).

This was attached to the DSP button, as a playback option I think...

Did it move somewhere else that I am unable to find, get removed, or is this a bug?

Sorely missing my playback filter,

Thx, roog.
==
roognation
human electrode

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Media Center Playback Filter: Bug?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 05:21:11 am »

Hmm... I guess I never used that with MC9.

I would use this search expression for filtering my four "Christmas" genres out:

-[Genre]=[Christmas],[Christmas // Classical],[Christmas // Electronic],[Christmas // Soundtrack]

Edit: as marko said...

(I really miss the forum SW notification about new posts arrived during writing my own post.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 05:42:12 am »

I missed it too as I also was using it for filtering bad songs and christmas songs etc... The advantage with the playback filter was that is was global. Searches forces you to do those extra steps of 1) Remembering to apply it, 2) Remembering what criterias to filter out.
A positive side effect was that you could actually see the files filtered out (they were greyed out, I believe).

But...the world goes on even without it :)

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 01:51:09 am »

Too bad it is gone; this is the best way to filter out music that does not fit.  I tried the view schemes, and that kinda works, but like you guys say, it just removes the files.  The old method with the greying out of the media file is great, because you can still make CDs and things with those files without having to go back and mess with stuff, it just wont play the files; and Global is good!

When I am just looking for a good random mix of things, I like to weed out the Christmas/Country/Rap genres since they are not appropriate most of the time; and this playback filter was the

Can we put this on the "put back in" request pile, please?

Mahalo!

roog
==
roognation
human electrode

Cookie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 08:41:25 pm »

Here Here!!
The playback filter was SO easy! why does everything have to get more complicated.
If a song was playing that I didn't want, I'd just add it to my skip list. DONE.

Please put it back!
 :'(

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »

This is a slight bump.  BUT, now that I am using MC to store and manage all my audio test files (test tones, noise, etc) the lack of the OMIT/filter list is becoming a major problem.

Gentlemen: please put the playback filter back in so I don't have to listen to 1 kHz tones at 0 dBFS mixed in with my Sinead Lohan.

Of the 4 people I have preached/converted to MC, they too miss the omit/filter list.

Mahalo from Maui
==
roognation
human electrode

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 03:28:12 pm »

Could you not just create a seperate library for the stuff
you don't want to play most of the time?

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 02:42:12 pm »

That could be a good solution, but...upon first examination, the problem there is that I have a number of disparate machines ripping to the same drive that stores all the media.  So, every once in awhile I have to rescan the entire drive to absorb all the new library entries (all kinds of genres, too).  And keeping a separate library to weed out the test signals, classical, Rap, etc. that I do not listen all the time would have to be recreated each time I rescanned for media.  The older Media Center (9 I think) had this wonderful feature to weed out things with a Smartlist.  And everyone I personally know that has MC loved that feature.  Now it's gone.

Call to developers: please put it back in.  Am I missing something like, that feature adds 75% more code?  That feature adds 50% more cycles to perform?  There has to be some good reason to take a good feature out, no?

Mahalo.
==
roognation
human electrode

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 03:03:51 pm »

Smartlists are there.  You can add them under playlists.

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 04:43:34 am »

How do I make a smartlist of material to omit during playback?

Mahalo
==
roognation
human electrode

Cookie

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 06:57:15 pm »

Call to developers: please put it back in.  Am I missing something like, that feature adds 75% more code?  That feature adds 50% more cycles to perform?  There has to be some good reason to take a good feature out, no?

I don't suppose the Playback Filter made it back into MC12 ?
That was one of the main features I used - it was so easy to skip stuff I didn't want to listen to in my usual "play all" routine. All the other options are much more complicated, so I end up listening to boring stuff I haven't got around to hiding.

Ho hum.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up