INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trouble with file names, artist, album, etc when ripping CD  (Read 1108 times)

Lala412

trouble with file names, artist, album, etc when ripping CD
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:18:57 am »

For some reason, about two weeks ago all of a sudden MJ started giving me trouble when I try to rip a CD.  It accesses the database for the info, but then the answers it puts in all the data fields are either really weird symbols or file names from completely different areas of my computer.  The times, artist, album name - none of the information is right.  I did have a virus, but McAfee cleaned it, and this is still happening.  Is there anything else that anyone knows of that could be causing this?  It started happening right after I stopped my free trial of Napster (which also caused OTHER problems, but I uninstalled and deleted and used registry fix and fixed THAT problem).  I was able to to rip a couple of CDs using the software that came with my Zen Micro, but that was irritating.  I like MJ.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: trouble with file names, artist, album, etc when ripping CD
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 05:57:10 am »

Perhaps the cleaning broke something in MJ.

I assume you are using the version 8. At first you could reinstall MJ on top of the current installation. Use the latest installer (v. 8.0.400)

If that does not help you could first uninstall MJ using its uninstaller and then reinstall it.

You should backup your Media Jukebox library before trying these fixes. If I recall corretly MJ has a tool for making backups. Check the program Help if needed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Lala412

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 12:07:13 pm »

It started having the problem before I found out I had the virus.  I had hoped that after the virus was found and cleaned, the problem would go away, but it didn't. 

Ugh.  I have to back up a lot of playlists...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 12:24:09 pm »

Reinstalling MJ on top of the old installation should not change your media library. The backup is just a precaution. I think a backup file made with the backup tool includes all playlists. Perhaps someone with recent MJ8 experience can confirm this.

In any case just copying your library data folder to a safe place would be adequate. You don't have to export your playlists one by one.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Lala412

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:33:07 pm »

Okay - thanks.  The only experience I have with reinstalling MJ is on to a completely different hard drive, so I wasn't sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up