INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet PC controlling media server...how?  (Read 3357 times)

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Tablet PC controlling media server...how?
« on: September 08, 2005, 08:50:55 am »

G'day,
   Despite thinking of myself as computer and network savy, I am stumped.  How can I set up Media Center (11) so that I can...

1) Have all my media files stored on my server
2) Have the standard media center interface running on my tablet PC and use this to select which tunes I want to play etc. as I do now with MC
3) have the music play on my server which is connected to the stereo (ie. not on the tablet PC - it's just the user interface).

Basically the tablet PC is a fancy remote control...showing the interface to the server which actually plays the music through the stereo.

Hope that makes sense...

I am sure it must be simple but all the info. on the server seems to be around streaming media...not what I want to do.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tablet PC controlling media server...how?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 08:57:24 am »

You can't get exactly the MC interface, but you can get a nice graphical interface with the programs below.

There is a web server built in to MC.  You can turn it on in Options/Startup.

You can then connect to it from another PC and play music on the "server".

NetRemote www.promixis.com
MusicLobby www.cinemaronline.com

There's more information on the board.  Please try the FAQ or a search.

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:36:03 pm »

Hello,

You could run MC on your server and remote connect (Remote Desktop) to it from your Table PC.

It would be like running MC from your server.

Take care,
lpr

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 09:29:14 pm »

Thanks for the replies.. :'(  Unfortunately the suggestions do not solve my problem...bugger!

1) re. Mainlobby etc...I like the MC interface, it's comprehensive, and flexible and I already paid for it...so I do not want another interface...so that's no good.

2) While the tablet has wireless 54Mbit (g), I find remote desktop software (tried loads) slow and unreliable...so that's not a solution either unfortunately.

I find it amazing that the programme I love so much does not cater for this (apparently) simple and obvious need.  Surely others, many others, run home (headless) media servers that perform as PVR's and media centers..and control these remotely via. a LAN.

Also, I am not sure I understand the value of the client/server option over just a mapped LAN drive then...

But I guess you can't be all things to all people...Oh well...the idea of a central home media server built around MC11 goes back into the drawer...and I'll have to put up with an intrusive loungeroom PC for a few more years.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

davros

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 10:31:07 pm »

Just occured to me...Is there ANY way that using the MCclient/MC server type setup, (ie. runing MC on the tablet PC and connecting to a PC running MC server), I can...

1. Stream picked up and played on another PC of UPnP device that's always sitting there istening for the stream (port) and is plaugged in the stereo

or,

2.  Have the audio (via plug-in/code change, or some fancy media player/re-routing trickery eg. having a media player listening for and playing the stream on the server) so that the music plays on the the server rather than streaming it to the client (or even as well as - I can always mute the tablet PC)....

I think that would solve my problem! Nice UI on the tabletPC and playback on another device? Seems so simple (but perhaps not!).

Alternately...can I set up MC on the tablet PC to stream music and have this be picked up from another pc or device...kind of like a streaming radio station?

Comments please? Let's get creative here people!
Pages: [1]   Go Up