INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody connect their soundcard to their a/v receiver?  (Read 9170 times)

Click Cardo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Anybody connect their soundcard to their a/v receiver?
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:08:12 pm »

I have an Audigy 2 in my pc and an Onkyo sr-602 audio/video receiver.  I wought to connect the two so I can play my MP3's on my receiver.

I bought a 1/8" mini-plug Y-Adapter audio cable from Radio Shack, but later found that the analog jack on my card was a slightly bigger 3.5mm.  Has anybody done this already?  What jacks did you plug into the card and what connections on the receiver?  What parts went between?

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Anybody connect their soundcard to their a/v receiver?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 01:35:46 pm »

I believe you bought the wrong plug, or maybe you're just putting us on.  If you're putting us on, shame on you.  If you bought the wrong plug, go back to Radio Shack and exchange it.  You appear to have bought an RCA mono splitter, not a mini-jack Y adapter. 

While you're there, get a dual RCA cable instead.  Your Audigy has a variety of I/O ports, and the red and the white brass nubbins are left and right stereo outputs.  This is a cleaner connection than the mini-jack. 

If you really want to get fancy, you can buy a single RCA cable and connect it from the single black brass nubbin on your Audigy to the single black or orange nubbin on the Onkyo.  That would be a digital connection where the Onkyo is doing the decoding.  There is also an optical output with a small cover on it, and the Onkyo probably has an optical input, but on the Audigy and most consumer cards the optical conversion is generally inferior to the digital coax (black nubbin).

Of course, you'll have to match source and destination I/O ports and that can take years off a man's life, so you might want to listen to the radio instead.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 01:45:30 pm »

I believe you bought the wrong plug, or maybe you're just putting us on.  If you're putting us on, shame on you.  If you bought the wrong plug, go back to Radio Shack and exchange it.  You appear to have bought an RCA mono splitter, not a mini-jack Y adapter. 

While you're there, get a dual RCA cable instead.  Your Audigy has a variety of I/O ports, and the red and the white brass nubbins are left and right stereo outputs.  This is a cleaner connection than the mini-jack. 

If you really want to get fancy, you can buy a single RCA cable and connect it from the single black brass nubbin on your Audigy to the single black or orange nubbin on the Onkyo.  That would be a digital connection where the Onkyo is doing the decoding.  There is also an optical output with a small cover on it, and the Onkyo probably has an optical input, but on the Audigy and most consumer cards the optical conversion is generally inferior to the digital coax (black nubbin).

The OP may have had the Audigy2 ZS, which has all 1/8" mini jacks outs.  The digital out requires a 1/8" mono miniplug to single RCA cable to connect to the usual coax in.  There is no optical out on this card.

Of course, you'll have to match source and destination I/O ports and that can take years off a man's life, so you might want to listen to the radio instead.

Can you explain the above a little?

Click Cardo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 08:37:30 pm »

i got referenced to wrong stereo m ini-plug.  could not find 3.5mm at radio shack website, but found it at pc connection.

plugs perfectly and sounds great over my receiver.

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 09:20:15 am »

i brought this one get full digital good Strong cable, and it work beautiful, fast delivery

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html

i connect my X-Fi XtremeMusic to my Pioneer

i have the Belden 1505F cable

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 03:51:57 pm »

You can get the same type of cable at Radio Shack.

I connected my Audigy to my Onkyo, but may have fried the coax digital input for the Onkyo by doing so.  The Audigy spdif has a voltage of 5v, HT equipment is, as I understand, spec'd at .5v.  I don't know what the voltage is for other sound cards.

The Audigy -> Onkyo worked fine for 3 or 4 months, but then sound got choppy and then died althogether.  Now the coax input on the Onkyo doesn't work with coax digital from any source.  From this, I conclude the over-volting fried the input.

Moral of the story is to connect your soundcard to your receiver with an optical connection.  Unfortunately for me, that's not an economical option, since the receiver is 60' away from the PC.

mata7

• World Citizen
  • Me Drunk Singing Salsa
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 10:42:45 pm »

i have this setup for almost year, never have a single problem

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 06:57:22 am »

Just did this too. see here and here. SOunds great!  :D

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:16:51 am »

A for the record post.

I picked up a Radio Shack Audio and Digital-Camera Cable (just a 1/8" mono miniplug to RCA phono plug) for about $5 to hook up my Audigy 2 to my Marantz.  Seems to work fine.

A stereo miniplug to RCA phono plugs also works if you just use the left channel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up