INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help: Probs importing & autoplaying files  (Read 1298 times)

markballou

Please Help: Probs importing & autoplaying files
« on: September 21, 2002, 11:31:41 pm »

First, nice new forum.
Now...
I downloaded a bunch of files from MP3.com a while ago (I guess they were streamed) and for some reason, even though they are not on my hard drive, whenever I prompt MJ to import media from my specified folder on the drive it always finds these songs and puts them back in my library. Here is an example of the file name in a songs properties:

http://downloads.mp3.com/AAIBQvGnAgBB_Sa7JAGAwARub3JtUAQAAABS74UAAFEKAAAAUwcAAABUAgAAAEME5SI83g_UuJs93_VKwkOXWe7v.w--/Broken.mp3

How can I get these files to stop importing every time. Deleting from MJ doesn't do anything.

My other problem is that for some reason when I put a CD in one of my drives or click on a file associated with MJ, the player will open but the file won't start playing. I have to then navigate to the file from within MJ or double click it's link again to get it to play. This seems odd, since every other media player I've ever used always starts playing the files when you click them. I checked settings and I couldn't find any solution.

Look forward to a responce.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Please Help: Probs importing & autoplaying fil
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 04:04:22 pm »

Sorry, but I didn't see your post.

When you import, don't import the entire drive.  Just point MJ to the folder you want.

The CD problem, can be solved by loading MJ, selecting a drive and pressing the Play button.

More info is in the Help file.

markballou

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 04:33:24 pm »

:-/
Maybe I wasn't clear:

...whenever I prompt MJ to import media from my specified folder on the drive it always finds these songs and puts them back in my library.

The files are not in that folder, nor can I find them if I do a search of the whole drive-- whether for the whole file name or just "broken.mp3". If I I rt. click the file name in the library and chose "locate file" on the disk, it just opens the C drive and that's it. I don't see the files there either. Again deleting them and confirming deletion from the hard disk does nothing. The file return on the next import.

As far as my other issue:

The problem with CDs is because I turned off "Auto Insert Notification" on the CD drives to avoid some drive related issues I was having, but that shouldn't effect auto-playing when clicking on icons for associated file types from my hard drive, as well as links to media on the internet. As I said before:

This seems odd, since every other media player I've ever used always starts playing the files when you click them.

Opening the player first to play supported/associated file types seems like an extra unnecessary step. I don't know a media player associated with a file type to ever work that way.

markballou

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 11:16:46 pm »

I have tried MJ on another machine and experience the same problem double clicking a supported file type via Explorer & links via IE.

I feel like I'm supporting myself here. Hello??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2002, 04:48:11 am »

I can't diagnose the problem from the details you're providing.  Probably the same for others.

Try giving a specific example with more detail.  

Also, it might help to have your system info from MJ Help.  Copy and paste it here.

markballou

Just want to double click...
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2002, 12:27:47 pm »

Problem 1-

I want to be able to double click a supported/associated file type and have it open MJ and start playing the file.

An example
With MJ associated with MP3 files:
1. MJ closed
2. Double click on MP3 file on desktop
3. MJ opens but does not play file
4. Double click file with MJ open, file will play[/list]
Shouldn't MJ open and begin playing the file immediately?

Problem 2-

On my desktop I have a problem importing files.

Occasionally I will click the "Import Media" button to make sure my library is up to date with any newly downloaded files.  I assume that is what one would do if they have new files that they want included in their library.

From what I can tell, MJ doesn't automatically update the library when you open it. Correct?

I keep my media files in a folder on my second hard drive, drive D. I think it is, "D:\My Saved Files\My Music\".

That's where I download all music files, as well as rip to. I organize the files into subfolders using MJ's organizing features. If I have new files there, I update my library to reflect it. I always specify that MJ should only look in this folder for media.

For some reason, even though these files are not in this folder, I keep importing 5 songs that I streamed months ago. I gave the file name from the properties of an example file in my initial post. I'll give it again:

http://downloads.mp3.com/AAIBQvGnAgBB_Sa7JAGAwARub3JtUAQAAABS74UAAFEKAAAAUwcAAABUAgAAAEME5SI83g_UuJs93_VKwkOXWe7v.w--/Broken.mp3

As you can see, it is a (streaming?) link and not an actual location on my drive. Why does this keep importing?

I'm hoping, assumming we don't find a solution, that when I switch over to XP, which I expect to do in a few weeks, that these probelms will go away. But, the file type issue, happening on both my 98SE laptop and 98SE dektop, doesn't inspire confidence.

My laptop:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.372
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD K6 2 450 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 45 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2002, 01:41:03 pm »

I just downloaded the same version and it works as you want it to.  Check how you have "enable shell integration" set in settings/options/general.

On your streaming link, right click on the track in MJ and do a locate to see where it is.  If MJ is finding it, it's there.

markballou

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 07:53:22 pm »

I give up

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 10:41:58 pm »

Ergolad,

I found that I had problems under Win2K with the files not autolaunching Media Jukebox, even though the Shell-Integration option was ticked in MJ.

Further investigation revealed that MS Media Player had stolen the file association for MP3.

Modifying the file association in Windows fixed the problem perfectly (ie double-click songname.mp3 in Explorer, and MJ launches immediately and starts playing.)

As far as the phantom file imports, what Jim was saying is to locate the entry in the MJ media list, RIGHT-CLICK it and select LOCATE -> FILE ON HARD DISK. Presto! An Explorer window opens with the location on view.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up