INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11.1 Alpha & closing 11.0  (Read 2699 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
11.1 Alpha & closing 11.0
« on: September 27, 2005, 05:44:05 pm »

I am starting a new thread for discussion as requested.  :)

11.1 -- Don't get too excited yet.... 

Great! I was getting a bit bored without anything new to test, but I try to keep cool.  ;D

But

11.0 development is now closed.  11.0.316 is the last build.  Any fixes or new features will appear in 11.1.

4. Fixed: The TiVo Server wasn't always recognized.
5. Fixed: Empty folders would not be detected / deleted when a background tagging operation was still in progress.
6. Fixed: Ripping to Ogg Vorbis would leave temporary files and not save cover art.
7. Fixed: Having "Change underscores to spaces" as the only cleaning option selected would not work.

Have you really thought this through? What is the logic here? Naturally the bug fixes should appear in the latest stable version in the first place. MC 11.0 was just released and this should be prime time for it.

I don't understand why the fixes appear only in the non-recommended experimental alpha version, which may introduce new bugs.

Especially the ogg ripping bug is serious in my opinion. (Btw, besides the left over temp files also the file tags were completely missing. Hopefully that is fixed too.)

NOTE: Not all changes will be in the history.

Do you mean that each time when a new alpha build is released it may include changed features that are not mentioned anywhere?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jgreen

Re: 11.1 Alpha & closing 11.0
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 06:26:09 pm »

I would have to agree.  Certainly 11.0.316 is a great build and stands on it's own, but if there's future fixes to 11.0.x  they ought to go there, not into an alpha.  The alpha was exciting to preview, but I saw regressions just in the few minutes I fooled with it. 

Do you want us to report bugs in the alpha just like a beta?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:17 pm »

Have you really thought this through? What is the logic here? Naturally the bug fixes should appear in the latest stable version in the first place. MC 11.0 was just released and this should be prime time for it.

11.0 and 11.1 are very close cousins.  You might have trouble with installing, but that's about all, I think.

In any case, you can use 11.0 as it is, or try 11.1 when you're ready.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 06:38:04 pm »

The alpha was exciting to preview, but I saw regressions just in the few minutes I fooled with it. 
I had some problems installing today but uninstalling 11.0 and removing registry entries cured it.  I don't think 11.1 itself is unstable.

Just to be clear, we're not going to change 11.0 now.  If stability is what you want, stick with it.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 07:10:18 pm »

I'm sticking with it--Alpha .028 was too scary for me.  I confirm your difficulties installing, and I would caution that you might have a real festival trying to uninstall it--it hung the add/remove programs in win2k.  I eventually manually deleted directories and did a regedit for the bitlets.
I also found that media keyboard support has regressed, and that the action window was leaving graphical hang-ons, FWIW. 

11.0 is a great program, and I look forward to watching 11.1 develop (as a spectator).

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:17:45 am »

I'd guess the primary reason they're closing 11.0 is because it is really a pain maintaining 2 active development branches (11.0 and 11.1). Also, as was mentioned, 11.1 is pretty close to 11.0. I believe we can expect 11.1 to be a much quicker release (and many fewer builds) between 11.1.0 alpha and the final release that the 11.0.0 alpha and the final (316 is it now?) build. Remember, the differences between 10 and 11 were huge. Those between 11.0 and 11.1 are much smaller.

Now, I'm just wondering why Steve was so coy about when 11.1 would be released in the portables forum.   :P

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 02:41:47 pm »

I have to actually agree with the JRiver folks on this one.  11.0 is closed.  It was declared final, and continued to be worked on for a time afterwards, but now it is time to move on.

Unless there is some really critical bug discovered, I feel new development should be devoted to 11.1.  A critical bug such as one that causes a reformat of the C drive, erasing My Documents, or launching nuclear-tipped warheads towards Canada (or a more likely a remotely exploitable buffer overflow or some such nonesense), I think it's time to move on.

And I'm glad to have some alpha's to test again.  Thanks!   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 03:12:11 pm »

Hey!!  Watch the Canada stuff.

Seriously though I think it would be a really good idea to create a new forum for 11.1 to avoid confusion with bugs that may exist in both versions but are only going to be addressed in 11.1. When 11.1 is further along, maybe beta stage, then slide it back into the main forum.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 09:05:45 am »

Hey!!  Watch the Canada stuff.

Seriously though I think it would be a really good idea to create a new forum for 11.1 to avoid confusion with bugs that may exist in both versions but are only going to be addressed in 11.1. When 11.1 is further along, maybe beta stage, then slide it back into the main forum.

Naaah, it's better if everything is in one place.

hb

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 05:01:43 pm »

This may sound a little like a gripe, I really do appreciate this product, but...

When I originally switched from MJ9 to MC11 there were only two features that I cared about:  being able to convert back from wma to wav and having a time limit on the audio recorder.  I figured I could ignore the other features if I didn't choose to use them.

Now I have all sorts of features that have nothing to do with why I wanted a media organizer in the first place and one of the two reasons that I switched, even though still listed on the set-up options, doesn't work (Maximum Track Length). 

So I waited patently and posted repeatedly to the forum about the broken feature in the media recorder.  But to no avail.  As each new version came out, I tried them, but still no fix.  Also, other things that I found and even liked about version 11 stopped working (eg. being able to use a null keyword in the renaming of sound files eg. '[]" to delete unwanted strings in the file names).

Now, I find that, in order to get the one thing fixed that I was interested in I will have to go to 11.1 which is now implementing new features that I didn't need or want and I will have to put up with more new glitches in those while still waiting to get one thing fixed.

This whole product is sure getting far-a-field from my original need - to simply organize and play music. 

Thanks for putting up with this expression of frustration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up