INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's an idea  (Read 1236 times)

Alban

• Recent member
  • A Saucerful of Secrets
Here's an idea
« on: October 02, 2002, 11:02:02 am »

Forgive me if this has been suggested before, but I have searched though the threads and haven't found anything similar.

The Problem:
YADB doesn't recognise your CD, but you know it's in CDDB

The Environment:
You don't have an old CDDB registration
You don't want to fiddle about with Winamp

The Proposed Solution:
You ask J River nicely if they can allow you insert the track names in a list format, as found on the CDDB website.

The Conclusion:
You would then be able to go to the cddb website, find your album, copy the track listing and paste it into the track listing within MJ.  You then fill in the artist/album etc and upload to YADB.

So, how about it JR?  ;)
Without Music - I'd Die

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Here's an idea
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 11:16:59 am »

The main issue for me is: how many people will choose this way over  using an old CDDB registration, Winamp, or other techniques.  A secondary issue is that the info from the CDDB web page does not include genre or year.

I'll keep it in mind, but it would help to see a few people say "this is really cool, I'd use it".

Finally, YADB has a surprising success rate (much better than indicated by the stats page). I tried to find a CD I owned that would not be recognized, and out of 50 I found 2. One was a bug (that only affects CDs with more than 40 tracks, a rarity), and the other was a pretty obscure CD (The Residents/ Not Available). If you have a different experience, I'd like to know the details.

j

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 12:56:13 pm »

John
The Residents are that much an obscure band?
I cannot  help you to upload them cause i have it in lp.
But most of they records are on Emusic.
Now a +40 songs cd..........not a kind of various artists punk\hardcore?If yes plug the burner .i am looking for ot since years......

Back to work
As i said the FreeDB data comes from people more on the 'alternative side' music and softwares.
Correcting YADB-not that much at this time,but "free' at the end of the week,will have more time-i can see that most of the king of music are here,but there is a lot of alternative.

Concerning my cds,YADB has data for cds not on cdbb.
The AMAZING rate for my cds is around99%

But i'am sure that there is a kind of music that is not well represented in YADB.
You may open a topic:'cd i did not find on YADB"
Like it you can know where YADB needs to improve his data first.
Or there is a problem with out USA cds

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2002, 01:12:34 pm »

Hi Zevele,

The Residents are not as obscure as they once were. But the "Not Available" CD was not one of their more popular ones. I'm going to see them in November. I saw them almost 20 years ago in Chicago (a friend said "Let's go see this band" and I saw them without having heard anything).

It really shocked me to find out that 25 year old kids are into them these days.

The many track CD is Tool's Undertow. It has a bunch of blank tracks to pad the total number to 69, a suggestive number.

Nice idea on the thread, I'll do that.

j

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2002, 01:46:39 pm »

For me it must be 30 years!
We had contact with them when they had only one or two lps out.Each one with an hand-make sleeve.
To put a record out on our label.But to no result.I do not remember why .
Our label means a DIY small label where i was only 'a small piece'
Anyway some of our records are +100 english pounds now[Throbbing Gristle , Joy Division ]. One of the band is a band i love:Savage Republic

Look like you do not have the 'clean 'edition concerning Toll.

My new craze is drone\funeral doom.Want to make a band playing it.

Drone\feneral doom is kind of a 7" from Black Shabbat played at 16 rotations minute with much less melodie
Pages: [1]   Go Up