INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Art shows in Media center but not in itunes  (Read 2335 times)

Scott Mayfield

• Recent member
Album Art shows in Media center but not in itunes
« on: October 08, 2005, 02:59:34 pm »

Hey all,
I am planning on using itunes until album art for mc comes out, but when i use i tunes, none of the album art present in media center is seen. Am i missing a folder, where does media center put the album art and is there an easy fix?
thanks,
Scott

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: Album Art shows in Media center but not in itunes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:34:38 am »

MC11 stores the artwork in a database (or separate folder).  iTunes stores the artwork in the file itself.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 07:42:17 am »

Actually, MC11 stores the image file in the cover art folder or in the file folder (configurable) and optionally inside the file (if supported with the file format used).

When an external track image is used MC's database stores only a file link (= filename + additionally the path if the image is in a separate folder).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:55:51 am »

So... if I opt to store cover art inside the MP3 files, will it be displayed in an iPod Photo?  From all the posts here asking for ipod album art support I assume not. 

Just thought I'd check?  If the answer is no, is this because iTunes and Media Center store the album art inside the file differently?

Thanks,
Trent

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 12:08:13 pm »

MC's way to embed the images is compatible with iTunes and other programs that can read images stored in the iD3v2 tags, but I don't know what iTunes does when it sends the files to an iPod Photo.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 06:15:11 am »

Is there a way to embed the images using MC11 so that itunes sees it?

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 09:38:11 am »

Tools > Options > File Location - Make sure "store images in tags also" is checked.  If MC already has album art associated with a track but is not storing it within the track file, choosing Tools > Library Tools > Update tags (from library) will then put it in the file.

This embedded art will be seen by iTunes.

Currently MC can't transfer the art to the iPod in the way it needs (I believe iTunes generates different sized thumbnails when the track is synced and adds it to the correct place on the iPod [itunesDB?]) - this is what Steve is working on I believe.

carfac

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 10:35:27 am »

Please note that WAV files do NOT imbed artwork- just not part of a wav file. (It also does not store artist/title/track info, but that is why MC has the import from filename option!)

Because MC has much better art handling capabilities that iTunes, and will associate WAV files with art (iTunes CAN not!), MC is what I use to sync files to the Pod.

I have occasinly found the art from MC not showing up on the pod. Solution: in iTunes, unselect "Show Album Art" from the iPOd sub menu in Prefs. CLOSE iTunes! Reopen iTunes, and re-enable Album Art.

Depending on how many songs you have, the rebuild can take a while. But once done, they should all be there!

Good Luck!

Dave

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 10:19:42 am »

Tools > Options > File Location - Make sure "store images in tags also" is checked. 

Aha! That's what I was missing. Thanks a lot.  ;D

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 10:22:52 am »

Actually, this brings me onto another question... I'm currently in the process of putting together a PC to transcode FLACs into MP3's when I'm transferring to the player. It's not a big issue for now especially as MC doesn't support album art transfer to the iPod, but assuming you guys can make it work, what happens to album art during transcodes?

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 09:37:20 am »

Tools > Options > File Location - Make sure "store images in tags also" is checked.  If MC already has album art associated with a track but is not storing it within the track file, choosing Tools > Library Tools > Update tags (from library) will then put it in the file.

This embedded art will be seen by iTunes.

Currently MC can't transfer the art to the iPod in the way it needs (I believe iTunes generates different sized thumbnails when the track is synced and adds it to the correct place on the iPod [itunesDB?]) - this is what Steve is working on I believe.

Um... it doesn't seem to work. MC went through a lengthy update, I deleted all the tracks in iTunes and re-imported.
Is there a third-party tag image reader that I can first double-check that the images are now embedded?

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 05:33:57 am »

In MC you can check the tag info for the file - "Image" should show as "Inside file."  If that's the case then iTunes should show the art ok.

If it doesn't then I'm not sure what went wrong.  Is MC linking to album art before you choose to update the tags from the library? 

Personally I set MC to look for art next to the file (I have folder.jpg in the same folder as the mp3 files) and once it's being shown ok updating the tags whacks the art into the mp3 files.

I'd experiment with just one track or album to make sure the process is working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up