INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed to import Track # from wma files  (Read 3365 times)

Alban

Failed to import Track # from wma files
« on: September 01, 2002, 05:27:39 am »

Hi,

I have just loaded Media Jukebox 8.0.356 and have got it to import all my wma files. It did this fine apart from the fact that all the track# data is missing.  If I point windows media at it, it reads it fine.  All the wma files were ripped with windows media player 7.1

Is there anyway that I can get all this information back.  I have over 10,000 tracks and I really don't want to have to rip them all again.

Thanks

DeathRider

• World Citizen
RE:Failed to import Track # from wma files
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 05:52:26 am »

hello, Did you go to settings then options and check to see if track number box's are checked in the general settings and tree and view settings. hope this helps.
Robert Long

Alban

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2002, 06:29:44 am »

Yes, the relevant options are checked.

It's not that I can't see them, it's that they are all set to 0.

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2002, 12:48:56 pm »

Sorry I couldnt help more.  The MJ crew are off for the weekend, It is Labor day holiday weekend and they said that their offices would be open again on tuesday, Matt or JimH should be able to help you further, that is if one of the techno wiz users out there dont answer you first. Hang tight, all will be right..
Robert Long

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2002, 12:54:55 pm »

>> I have over 10,000 tracks and I really don't want to have to rip
>> them all again.
The first mistake was using windows media player, and the second was WMA format.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alban

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2002, 02:59:00 pm »

>The first mistake was using windows media player, and the second was WMA format.

Agreed, I was happyish with real jukebox and mp3 until they came out with real one and started sending details back to their servers.  Then I went for the best of a bad bunch (i.e. Windows Media Player), until I finally discovered Media Jukebox....At last, a jukebox that did exactly what I wanted it to do.  Now I've just got to get the tracks back to MP3 with the right track # information.

sekim

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2002, 03:17:28 pm »

>>> Now I've just got to get the tracks back to MP3 <<<

Alban,

Are you considering a format conversion from wma to mp3? This is awful at best. They are going to lose more data during the conversion. Guess what, you are better off re-ripping unless you like the sound of an AM transistor radio. Try a few first and you'll hear what I mean.

Alban

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2002, 03:02:37 am »

I've tried this conversion, and agreed, it is not brilliant, but a lot better than an AM radio If I want to hear top quality musak, then I dig out the cd, not listen to an mp3/wmp or any other loss-compression format.  But I REALLY don't want to have to re-rip all my CDs again - I've already done the whole lot twice.

Artzie

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2002, 09:07:38 am »

I had no problem going from wma to ogg. Just make sure to decode before encoding, if you have 128 in wma, put ogg in 2.30 and you'll be happy

Alban

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2002, 10:19:41 am »

I will have a play with Ogg, thanks.  

This is however, getting away from the original purpose of the thread which is that the app doesn't seem to recognise the track# data which is saved in the file by WMP 7.1 (on Win2K if that's any help).

Has anyone else had this problem, or is anyone else able to reproduce it.  The track# is definately saved in the wma file, because if I import it on another machine (with WMP), the track information is there, but not if I use Media Jukebox.

Musicmatch has this problem too. I'm wondering if there's a new wma format which is used by WMA 7.1, but not handled correctly by some of the wma tag readers out there.

sekim

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2002, 10:29:12 am »

Could this have something to do with WMP licensing or security or whatever it is called?

Alban, have you tried to associate all files with MJ? Just a shot in the dark...

WMP should be able to read these files on any machine, they all work the same. And, if I'm not mistaken, they were all created on WMP.

Alban

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2002, 11:55:06 pm »

>Could this have something to do with WMP licensing or security or whatever it is called?

Nope, I have no licensing on the files

>Alban, have you tried to associate all files with MJ? Just a shot in the dark...

All associations are in place

>WMP should be able to read these files on any machine, they all work the same. And, if I'm not mistaken, they were all created on WMP.

They were all created on WMP.

The problem is not playing the wma files - they play fine.  The problem is that media jukebox does not read the tags correctly, in that it doesn't collect the track # data.  It reads the Artist / Album etc fine....just not the track data.

sekim

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2002, 12:52:34 am »

Duh on my part. 356 had track tag reading problems. Try 360 and see if that helps. I just looked again to see that you are using the older version. Once installed try and import again to see if MJ can now read them there tags.

Alban

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2002, 06:10:13 pm »

Sorry, no go with both version 8 (360) or v9 released today.

I have also discovered another wma problem.  If I play the wma files on the machine they're on, they work fine.  If I import them into media jukebox froma networked drive, then they play fine too.  BUT, if I attempt to play them though the media server, then I get some message about not being able to find the license.  These files have NOT been recorded with licenses or with any form of protection.

So, either microsoft have changed the goalposts with WMP 7.1 or the wma handling routines out there need some updating.

Any ideas?

joe mama

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2002, 11:28:50 pm »

Have you checked to see if the track # is there when you look at the File Info in Winamp or other players that play wma?  I haven't used WMP for quite a while, but I seem to remember that I had problems because the track info I entered wasn't necessarily saved with the file, but appeared to be saved in some kind of database that only WMP used.  I could be trippin' though.

Rob

Alban

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2002, 01:51:14 am »

Yep, thought of that, which is why I tried importing the wma files into WMP on a different machine.

WMP does save the track information in the file, but as I said before, it seems to save it in a way that other applications (musicmatch as well as media jukebox) cannot read.  This is why I'm thinking that there maybe some difference in the way WMP 7.1 writes the wma tags.

Alban

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2002, 04:39:39 am »

Bump

Alban

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2002, 02:13:35 pm »

So it looks like I'm gonna have to go through all 10,000 files, updating the track Number data from the date and time recorded.

That is NOT good.

Is there no-one that can confirm they get the same problem - can't believe I'm the only one!

DocLotus

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2002, 05:44:23 am »

Hi Alban;

I'm having problems importing WMA track numbers also.  I have all the track numbers as part of the file name so they won't be lost as I move to different players.  My problem is that MJ is stripping them off when I import the WMA files.  This should not be happining.

MJ 9.0.053
Bugs…

* WMA track numbers not being imported with ‘Import Media’ command.

* Import Media Files ‘Get file information from filename/directory’ seems to do nothing. Have tried importing WMA files with the check box marked & unmarked… no difference. The track numbers is the first part of the filename on the hard drive…
EXAMPLE… ‘07 - Windsong.wma’ but the track number is stripped off & does not show up in any of MJ9’s fields.

Richard

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2002, 09:28:52 pm »

Alban,
Just wanted to assure you that no, you are not the only person who is experiencing this.  I have a handful of songs that I ripped using WMP a couple of versions back.  When play them in MJ, the track # doesn't show up.  They play fine in MJ and in any other player I've tested them in, but the track # consistently shows up as "0" for all of the .wma tracks that I have.  I didn't sweat it because I only have about 10 or 20 .wma files, but it would be nice if there were a fix within MJ or even within the newest WMP that could correct this.

Richard

Alban

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2002, 04:46:23 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one then.

Any Ideas folks - Bump

Bird.of.Prey

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2002, 06:38:54 pm »

I had the exact same problem but found an easy fix in MJ 8.0.356 (I haven't tried it in other versions):

If WMP ripped your WMAs like it ripped mine it named the files in the following format '01 track name.wma'. Just select all your WMA files in MJ and get the properties for them. Go to 'Tools' then 'Fill Properties from Filename...'. Only check 'Filename' and fill in the input box with 'TRACK#' (without quotes, of course). Click 'OK' then save the changes. It might take awhile (especially with 10,000 files) but it's definitely faster and easier than ripping all of them again or fixing it by hand.

P.S. You might want to try this on just a couple files first to make sure it works and then you don't ruin all 10,000.

Hope this helps.

Bird.of.Prey

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2002, 05:52:19 am »

Forgot to mention that my files are WMA 8, so it isn't limited to just 7.1 and I had the same problem in MusicMatch (which I won't even touch anymore after finding MJ).

As far as re-encoding all your files to MP3 or Ogg - please don't take offense - but that doesn't make much sense. I agree; WMA is nothing compared to Ogg. But changing all your already ripped files to Ogg accomplishes nothing but lowering their quality. The only reasons to re-encode to another format would be if you ripped with one of those DRM lisences (which you didn't) or to make some 'statement' that no one but yourself will know about. But in making this statement you wasted a lot of your time and lowered the quality of your music. And lowering the quality of the music kind of defeats the purpose of Ogg.

Do what I did when I realized how much better Ogg was: rip all your new music into that format and re-rip any CDs that you want to be of a higher quality. Don't re-encode a lossy format to another lossy format... period.

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2002, 07:47:50 am »

Everybody,

Please try new version of WMA input plug-in. It should fix the problem.

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/mj_data/plugins/in_wma.mjp

Make sure that plug-in version is 2.0.43

Or you can download MJ 8.0.370
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox80370.exe

Nikolay

Alban

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2002, 04:44:21 am »

I tried both the new wma plug-in and the full download of 370 and neither worked, all track numbers are still coming up as Zero.

Sorry!

Oh and BTW, unfortunately, I didn't let WMP record my files with the track number first (i.e. ‘07 - Windsong.wma’).  Foolishly I thought, "what's the point of having a tag if you're going to put all the information in the filename" - Doh!

Bird.of.Prey

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2002, 02:35:26 pm »

Sorry I wasn't able to help.

You may already know about this, but if you don't it will make manually changing the track # tag a little easier.

Choose an album that doesn't have the track numbers and have it list the files in order of date. Get the file properties up for the album and go to the 'Tools' menu then click 'Fill Track Numbers from List Order'. It'll still be a pain, but hopefully it will be a little easier.

Bird.of.Prey

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2002, 08:21:14 am »

One more thing to check, although I really doubt it will make a difference, especially since you said that when you brought WMAs over to another computer the track # came up fine in WMP.

Go to one of your WMAs in Windows Explorer and bring up its properties, then go to the summary tab and make sure it is on the advanced view. It will probably show the track # info with the correct information (it did with me) but it's still worth a check.

Alban

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2002, 05:42:08 am »

Hi

Bird-of-prey, thanks for the suggestion regarding date-order - I have in fact been doing that ever since I originally posted this thread.  But I am still only up to artists beginning with "G".

For everyone's information, I did find a utility that does read the wma tag properties correctly.  It is called DB Power-Amp.  It's only a small shareware utility, but what it does, it does well.

So, if they can do it....why can't MJB?

Is it really that difficult to read a tag correctly?

Alban

• Recent member
  • A Saucerful of Secrets
Re: Failed to import Track # from wma files
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2002, 08:55:18 am »

Ok, now that I have gone through my entire collection of 11,000 files and added the track # info, I find the answer.

I've recently rebuilt one of my machines (a clean OS install) and when I put MJ back on, it recognised the track # info from a few files that I hadn't converted.

So, it seems, that despite uninstalling previous versions of MJ and installing the latest version (as instructed), there is something which hangs about on the machine causing this problem.

It also explains why the bods at MJ couldn't reproduce the problem.

Oh well!.....at least I have track numbers now...even if it meant quite a few late nights!
Without Music - I'd Die
Pages: [1]   Go Up