INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1 and serious iPod problem  (Read 1447 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
MC 11.1 and serious iPod problem
« on: October 09, 2005, 01:51:59 am »

I upgraded to the new 11.1 alpha version. After connecting my iPod it seemed to work okay. After uploading music it appeared that all music was gone. I tried a database rebuild because MC didn't see any songs but when I wanted to upload 1 song it informed me about the amount of free GB after the sync. That would be the amount with all the music on the device as it was before connecting with MC11.1 alpha.

Trying to upload resulted in an error. Eventough configuring it for MP3 MC tried to install WMA. Since then I can't access the iPod anymore. Downloaded the lastest updater but the iPod doesn't even appear anymore in the updater or PC. Only thing it does is show an apple logo. This normally appears after a complete reset.

Resetting the device does not help. It seems to react to the reset command but eventually nothing happens.
Is this an MC 11.1 alpha thing or just concidence that my iPod might be defect.
Marsies .....

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 11.1 and serious iPod problem
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 08:49:34 am »

Most likely an 11.1 thing. Please wait for the next build of 11.1 this week.

jims

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 10:53:04 am »

It sounds like you have the same problem I did, your iPod is stuck in a continious soft-reset.  To get it working again you have to do a hard reset.  To do this on the latest iPods, press the 'select' and 'menu' buttons for about 6 seconds and you'll see it start the soft-reboot, then immediatly press and hold the 'select' and 'play/pause' buttons.  This will put it into 'Disk Mode' so you can mount it on your computer, then delete the itunesdb file, unmount it, and do a soft reboot again.

Then go back to MC 11.0.xxx.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 03:55:17 pm »

Hi jims,

I went back to the shop were I bought it. They tried to get into disk mode and that worked. But even then they couldn't see the iPod on their PC. I found out that you can run even more test if you press the 'select' and 'back' button after the soft reset. Then you can run tests like memory, I/O and other things. Worth to try.  :)

They advised me to let mister Apple take care of my iPod. Now I'm waiting for them to pick it up and give me a refurbished one back. But your advise sounds good and I will try it again because it looks like your right.

Marsies .....

lOth

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 05:12:15 pm »

Marsies: did all this happen as a consequence of your trying to use your iPod with 11.1 alpha??

Now I'm scared.

Cerebro

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:04:12 am »

Same problem here.

I updated to 11.1 and plugged my ipod mini 1.4. The soft recognized the ipod and transfered the music like nothing was wrong. At last, I enabled the option to unplug the ipod automatically when MC is closed. What happened? I close MC and my ipod is stuck in a software loop, showing my only the apple like described. No hard reset possible. I had to go to an apple store and am now wating for it to be serviced  >:(

I have to say that I'm getting really disappointed with MC recently. The ipod playcount and rating issue came up late June, since then I cannot use the ipod properly anymore. And the first bugfix makes it even worse..I know it is still an alpha and I would happily endure some crashes, if it just worked. But it is impossible for me to accept that  MC now shoots an ipod off so badly that it has to be serviced..

Sorry guys for the hard words..I just have to voice my anger here. I warn every ipod-owner to think twice before using this build..

jims

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:10:40 am »

Same problem here.

I updated to 11.1 and plugged my ipod mini 1.4. The soft recognized the ipod and transfered the music like nothing was wrong. At last, I enabled the option to unplug the ipod automatically when MC is closed. What happened? I close MC and my ipod is stuck in a software loop, showing my only the apple like described. No hard reset possible. I had to go to an apple store and am now wating for it to be serviced  >:(

This is the exact problem I had, but I was able to do the soft-reset/hard-reset sequence.  It's possible that the sequence is different for the mini.

I have to say that I'm getting really disappointed with MC recently. The ipod playcount and rating issue came up late June, since then I cannot use the ipod properly anymore. And the first bugfix makes it even worse..I know it is still an alpha and I would happily endure some crashes, if it just worked. But it is impossible for me to accept that  MC now shoots an ipod off so badly that it has to be serviced..

Sorry guys for the hard words..I just have to voice my anger here. I warn every ipod-owner to think twice before using this build..

I totally agree.  I never really saw a good response from jriver about the iPod playcount/rating/lastplayed problem for 11.0.xxx.  I understand it was an issue with the latest iPod firmware, but I don't remember seeing a response about even trying to fix it in 11.0.xxx.  Also, I've had to re-initialize my iPod from within MC probably a half a dozen times in the last few months, which is a 2 hour process to get all my songs back on it.  Like you, I totally understand this is an alpha release, but It's pretty bad when it totally hoses the most popular digital music player.

If I could figure out how to get my id3 ratings pulled into iTunes, I would go back to using the "free" software, instead of MC which I paid for.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 11:54:25 am »

You might want to wait a few builds on 11.1 if you're having trouble.

The whole handheld system was completely overhauled and it's still buggy.

I think you'll be extremely pleased with what you see in the next two weeks.

That said, 11.1 is not for the faint of heart and that's what we said in the build thread.  Use at your own risk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up