INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problems burning CDs  (Read 1599 times)

Jgoul

• Recent member
problems burning CDs
« on: October 10, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »

I have recently upgraded form 10 to 11.   Since then I have been having problems with burning CDS.   I guess I could have changed a setting but I have gone thru that several times and don’t see anything that would cure this.

What happens: once I start the burn it got thru the entire burning process.  then once it completes writing the final track I get an error that reads: Device Codes 255,5,0

Then the CD continues to spin and can not stop it.  Actually the pc does not even recognize the CD at this point.  I have to do a hard reset of the computer to get it back.

Any ideas?

thanks

Jgoul

• Recent member
Re: problems burning CDs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 09:31:17 am »

I have recently upgraded form 10 to 11.   Since then I have been having problems with burning CDS.   I guess I could have changed a setting but I have gone thru that several times and don’t see anything that would cure this.

What happens: once I start the burn it got thru the entire burning process.  then once it completes writing the final track I get an error that reads: Device Codes 255,5,0

Then the CD continues to spin and can not stop it.  Actually the pc does not even recognize the CD at this point.  I have to do a hard reset of the computer to get it back.

Any ideas?

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 09:42:38 am »

No ideas.

Make sure you have 11.0.316, the latest build on our downloads page.

More information about what you're burning and what your settings are might help.

Try burning a single file.

Audio CD or Data CD?

Jgoul

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:49:47 am »

thanks for the reply. 

Not sure what you mean by DOWNLOAD PAGE?

I am trying to burn MP3 Music files from Media Server to a CD.  What setting would i be looking at?

I know the burner is good.  I can burn the same friles frm Windows Media PLayer ok.

thanks

Jgoul

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 10:49:02 am »

Jim,  Thanks again. 

2 things:

It starts to burn the tracks then when closing it either freezes up my laptop or the cd drive just keep sspinning and and error shows up in Mediacenter that says "Unknown erroe. Device codes 255,5,0

also, in my "Systems Info" is has 11.0.314  not the 11.0.316 that you mention below.

thanks

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 11:54:35 am »

-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 03:00:25 pm »

I am trying to burn MP3 Music files from Media Server to a CD.  What setting would i be looking at?
You can't burn from Media Server if you're on another PC.  It isn't allowed.

Jgoul

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 03:18:00 pm »

Jim,  Thanks.  Please bare with me.. 

I misspoke.  I meant I am trying to burn from "Media Center" NOT "Media Server".   I never had a problem with version 10...  ever since i upgraded to 11.

I am sure it is a simple problem but its hard to find out info on this.  You have been responsive so far and that great.  thanks

Also,  among the two symptoms I mentioned earlier.  The CD starts the burning process and actually burns the tracks...   It at the end (i guess when its trying to close the cd) is just freezes.  It actually freeze the computer and the CD drive.  the drive disappears form my computer.  I have to reboot.   And when I look on the CD that I just burned.. the tracks show up but get nothing but a screeching noise.   Hope

again the error message states:  "unknown Error. Device Codes 255,5,0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 03:22:49 pm »

Try burning a single file that you know you can play.

Maybe you're trying to burn more than the capacity of the drive.

But ... are you burning an Audio CD or a Data CD?

If the drive freezes and disappears from Windows, there may be a hardware problem.  Try a search for PIO mode.  Windows can put the drive in PIO mode if it gets errors and that is hard to fix, but google may help.

Jgoul

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 03:31:38 pm »

ok,  but I already tried a single file.  Again these are Audio (MP3) files.

Again,,   The hardware, I think, is fine becaseu I can burn CDs from Windows Media Player (which is on the ame machine)...   So I assumed the problem was with JR Media Center.

is there any other type of support I can get for JR Media?

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 03:37:29 pm »

ok,  but I already tried a single file.  Again these are Audio (MP3) files.

You can burn an audio or a data CD with an MP3 file.  It's one of the first questions you have to answer when you burn.

Can you play the MP3 file?

Can you convert it to WAV?

What happens if you try to burn the WAV file?

Jgoul

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 03:42:09 pm »

Jim,  I am buring audio files.

Yes, I can play MP3

yes, I can covert to Wav

Yes, same things.  It go es thru the burning process and completes the tracks but when closing the CD iis when it fails. 

Does 255,5,0 mean anything?

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 03:56:53 pm »

Someone else recently had a problem with a Plextor burner which I haven't been able to figure out yet. Is this a Plextor burner?

Print your system info here and also send me a log file of the burn process at johnt @ jriver.com

Here's the info on creating the log file:

Turn on MC's logging for CD burning by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 11\CD Writer\Logger

(note: if you are using Media Jukebox, substitute "Media Jukebox" for "Media Center 10" or "Media Center 11" in the above registry location.)

Then just start up Media Center and try to burn a CD or DVD (you can leave test mode checked to avoid creating a coaster). Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdwriter.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC. It's quite large so you may want to zip it before sending.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up