INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11.314 Thumbnail problem  (Read 1658 times)

JONCAT

MC11.314 Thumbnail problem
« on: October 28, 2005, 12:01:20 pm »

I just started re-arranging my library. I realized that some the box to attach images to tags was not checked.

When I display AUDIO view scheme as album thumbnails I have an album with no thumbnail (I rebuilt the thumbs first), but when I search for the album it pops up so I can add (paste) the cover art in....but the art is displayed there!

The image file has not been copied into the album directory (I want to do that from now on), I had been using one folder to store all cover art.

Any idea what's going on here?

JC

JONCAT

Re: Album Thumbnails not shown ~except in search~
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 02:19:17 pm »

Okay ...here are pics.

Take this one album, Reggae Sunsplash, I believe that the image has been added to the tag because I can delete the album file in the cover art directory and then the thumbnail still appears in Playing Now. Now maybe MC has some other database or something to track this so I don't know.

If it truly is tagged, then the thumbnail simply isn't shown when browsing panes and view schemes; library browser seems to work okay and seems to act like you are highlighting the album in a pane which is also the quivalent of playing now.

The result is that there are album thumbnails NOT VIEWABLE in pane view schemes, but are viewable only in Playing Now or Library Browser.

I have spent about three hours so far updating thumbs I already have, once it dawned on me that something didn't feel right.

www.catuccio.net/sunsplash%20thumbnail.jpg
www.catuccio.net/sunsplash%20thumbnail%20appears.jpg
www.catuccio.net/search%20for%20sunsplash.jpg
www.catuccio.net/search%20for%20sunsplash%20thumbnail%20appears.jpg

FYI, same result if in Audio View Scheme.

JC

JONCAT

MC11.314 MAJOR THUMBNAIL BUG NEEDS TO BE FIXED
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 11:11:48 pm »

Wish there was still some support for bugs in 11.314.....as reported by others, this experience of mine seems widespread. MC does not rebuild album thumbnails and over time starts to not display random ones that do not have an image copied into a main Cover Art folder or the album's folder (for way to repair [sort of] see below).

I am adding my cover art and it seems that the bug definitely occurs on files that are tagged with images but don't have a copy of the pic in a folder...sooner or later the thumbs dissappear where yesterday they were clear as day.

Be nice if this bug and the ripping with multiple cd drives bug could be fixed. .314 doesn't feel complete or like a "job well done" to me whatsoever. It's felling a tad bloated right now as well with the way it reacts to things like finishing discs, stopping various funtions, and shutting down correctly (random exits).

You guys need to nurse this thing back to full health; a lot of people choose MC for the thumbs ability. Can't a "Copy album art from tag to folder" become an option, since the workaround is to copy the apparently blank thumbnail and re-paste it. It is then copied to the folder and re-tagged, and is visible in Album Thumbnail View.

JC

Media Center Registered 11.0.314 -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 11\

Workstation 5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
AMD Unknown 2409 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 366 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.1830 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: _NEC    DVD_RW ND-3520AW  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: _NEC     DVD_RW ND-3520AW   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive N: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-811S     Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:9  MaxSpeed:9  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC11.314 MAJOR THUMBNAIL BUG NEEDS TO BE FIXED
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:52:22 am »

No bugs will be fixed in 11.0.  That's what 11.1 is for.  

If you think there is a bug, try 11.1 and then report it if it's still a problem.

BTW, the last build of 11.0 is 11.0.316.  It's the default download here:

www.jrmediacenter.com .

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:23:47 am »

Thanks Jim, I'll check it out and then the alpha...been meaning to.

But if it's there in 316 don't you think it could warrant some attention.

I love MC and I;d hate to see new users get turned off but some of the quirks that remain in a "complete" build; just trying to play devil's advocate here.

I'll post back in a bit w/ results.

JC

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 08:31:36 am »

Thanks Jim, I'll check it out and then the alpha...been meaning to.

But if it's there in 316 don't you think it could warrant some attention.

I love MC and I;d hate to see new users get turned off but some of the quirks that remain in a "complete" build; just trying to play devil's advocate here.

I'll post back in a bit w/ results.

JC

That sounds like a good idea in principle, but in an application as large
as MC there are always going to be a few bugs unfound,
and with the best management team in the world, and the best
software management tools, fixing bugs occasionallyl leads to new bugs.
It's easier/more reliable therefore to have just one build line at
a time. Of course the waters will get muddied when new functionality
is being added, but I guess it just requires a bit of patience  :)
Chris (Not affilated with JRiver in anyway)

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:33:02 am »

Point well taken....MC still rules. Checking out 316 now.

JC

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 09:51:48 am »

Ok kiddies gather round for the workaround.....

I figured out:

If you have blank thumbnails in any panes and your tree is let's say, Audio, right click and check to see if Image>Copy 1st file to clipboard is available. If it is it means there is cover art tagged on the file(s).

2. Use King Sparta's Move Cover Art plugin to copy all the  art of every file/album in your ibrary to folder.jpg or one Cover art folder; either works.

3. Select all files/albums and choose Remove Cover Art and obviously choose NOT to delete files from the hard disk.

4. Select everything again, and choose a Quick Search in File/Directory.

5. This should rebuild your thumbs permantently...I'm still not sure though...we'll see.

I tried to rebuild thmubs after the tagged art had been copied into the album folder and MC could not do that...I'd try the alpha but after reading the posts and the long run of MC11...I am not really up for alpha testing yet, so if anyone is using the alpha check to see if thumbs go missing and if they can be rebuilt correctly.

thanks!
JC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC11.314 Thumbnail problem
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 02:36:33 pm »

I have never experienced this problem. Though, I have only external cover art. Most of my cover art files are in the audio file folders, but not all. Search expressions or view settings don't make any difference to the behaviour.

MC 11.0.316
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 03:07:46 pm »

I noticed KingSparta's plug-in allows you to re-direct MC to use the new folder.jpg which saves a step.

A few others mentioned that they had experienced this problem as well in Sauzee's thread. Very strange but at least there's a temp fix.

JC

chrisssssl

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 05:51:17 pm »

i was just going to post my problems with this version...  i have the same problems you are having. i thought i wasnt pasting images correctly and then when i redid all the images, everything seemed as though it was there.  i cleared the library and reimported everything.  it lost some things and not others.  there was no rhyme or reason to the ones it kept or didnt keep.  im glad this was just a small library i planned to append to my main one.  i have found this with .316. 

can you point me to the kingsparta plugin you were refering to. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 11:45:09 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up