INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11: Importing from a network drive  (Read 1602 times)

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
MC11: Importing from a network drive
« on: June 02, 2005, 01:45:41 am »

Hello again.  Just tryin out the new 11 and having a bit of trouble with importing MP3s.  Have tried importing a massive \music\ directory as well as individual artist directories.  The import stops prematurely (141 for the Beatles, 62 for Frank Sinatra, and when I tried the entire \music\ directory only 189).

The media is located on a remote NAS drive (Triton simple NAS with Seagate 300GB 7200.8), and have tried it as a mapped drive letter as well as Windows universal naming (\\device\sharename\directory\).  Have yet to try this on 10 to confirm it works there.

Tried on both "official" download and then upgraded to the .280 release.  Also tried on two different machines.

Not sure if there is something wrong, or if doofus applies.

Please let me know.

Mahalo nui loa.
==
roognation
human electrode

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC11: Importing from a network drive
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 07:03:58 am »

I think that's a bug somewhere in the network chain.  We had another similar problem a few days ago that was solved by attaching the drive directly to the PC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 02:27:43 pm »

Something has definately happened with the performance of the Network import process with the recent builds.  I do use a number of network drives, and they've always been fine.  I'm just now importing a large number of images from a network drive though (about 30k) and it's been running for about 1 hour and is on number 479.  Each one now takes about 3-5 seconds to import, but it was running slower at first.

MC is extremely non-responsive during this process.  The network I'm using now isn't the speediest one on the block (it's 100 MBit switched rather than my normal Gigabit network), but this is dismal...

It was never this slow before...

EDIT:  I shouldn't say definately, as I haven't done any systematic testing on this, but it "feels" drastically slower than it did on this machine with previous builds (and the same network drive).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 02:40:31 pm »

I've experienced this same slowness in Importing from a network device in recent builds also.

smackafee

• Recent member
  • Keeping on the right bleeding edge
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 01:05:19 pm »

I think that's a bug somewhere in the network chain.  We had another similar problem a few days ago that was solved by attaching the drive directly to the PC.

No offense intended, but that solution isn't really a solution.  I could move the files onto an external drive, too, but that completely defeats the purpose.  I have multiple PCs and I will share this music across the network one way or another.

Can you help me/us iron out the SimpleShare problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:07:18 pm »

No offense intended, but that solution isn't really a solution. 
If hardware and drivers aren't reliable, there will be problems that we can't help with.

The test is, does it work with a local drive.  If it does, then MC is working.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 10:35:37 pm »

This is a very interesting post... Since MC 11, i've always had the "feeling" that MC's network performance was slower than with previous versions. I've seen a huge speed boost with the introduction of database caching, but to me it seems, with every new build, MC got slower and slower in terms of network performance - not only when importing new files, but also while playing, tagging, searching in the database, etc. It also seems that, while MC is running (especially when playing music), network speed for all other applications is dropping dramatically. I looks like MC "sucks up" all available bandwith on my 100mbit switched network (which should be totally sufficient for playing music, by the way - who needs gigabit ehternet?  ;)). Btw, all my media files and the library are located on a (more or less) dedicated windows server, so no "strange" NAS-like stuff is involved.

Sorry i can't be any more specific - i guess it would take alot of knowledge (and some network testing skills) to really identify a possible problem here. Just let me know if there's anything specific i could do to give you more details.

Am i the only one seeing this "speed degradation"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up