INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible for LAME MT to be used?  (Read 1303 times)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
Possible for LAME MT to be used?
« on: November 05, 2005, 05:50:43 am »

Hi

I'd like to know if there are any problems in calling the multi-threaded version of LAME when transcoding on-the-fly. I plan to store in FLAC and transcode to MP3 on-the-fly. The LAME MT encode speeds aren't looking stratospheric in real terms even with the Dual-core AMD 4800+, but I'd like to give it a go. Has it been tested by anyone at all?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Possible for LAME MT to be used?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 06:31:12 am »

Do you mean this project: http://softlab.technion.ac.il/project/LAME/html/lame.html ?

The current files on that site are dated as 21-feb-2005 and they are obviously based on an earlier LAME 3.97 alpha source code. Since then a couple of newer alphas and the much-discussed LAME 3.97 beta have been relesed.

In general, you can replace the lame.exe file in the MC plugins folder with any lame.exe file. You could try how the LAME MT encoder works and report here.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 10:26:42 am »

Replacing the EXE file seems to still work... so dual-core, here I come.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 02:47:07 pm »

As an aside, MC 11.1 runs two conversions and handheld uploads all in parallel.  You'll see huge speed improvements with a dual core computer if you're converting files as you upload them to a handheld.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 12:45:45 pm »

Hmmm... That's given me an idea. If I were to put two dual-core Opterons together, does that mean that LAME MT will run dual-threaded on two cores and that MC will run those instances at the same time on each processor?
Pages: [1]   Go Up