INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Issues with my iPod and MC11.1.53  (Read 1288 times)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Two Issues with my iPod and MC11.1.53
« on: November 09, 2005, 02:49:59 pm »

I'm having two issues with the latest alpha build of MC11.1.53. I have a 30GB iPod, and I store all of my music files on my pc in .ape format - and they are converted to .mp3 on-the-fly when sent to my iPod.

1) When manually transferring files to the iPod, MC sometimes (not every time) gets hung up and stops at "99% complete" with "Less than 1 minute remaining." (If I look at the list, however, it shows that all files are "complete.") When I select "Cancel" I get a pop-up confirming that I indeed want to cancel the operation in progress - I choose "Yes" - and then MC freezes. After a long time, I eventually have to CTRL-ALT-DEL just to get out of the freeze. This has happened to me several times since downloading 11.1

2) Not sure if this is related to the first issue, but when I look at the iPod in MC, it shows me that the iPod has 27.9GB of space with 2.9GB of free space remaining. There are, however, currently only 3443 files on the device - and I am normally able to put around 5000 songs on it. So, I decided to try selecting the "Apple iPod" drive in the MC tree, and select all of the files on the device - it shows the same number of files (3443) but this time it shows only 19.9 GB is used (or in the alternative that 8GB should be available).

My System Info:
Media Center Registered 11.1.53 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2974 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 177 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-248F    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:327  MaxSpeed:327  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Two Issues with my iPod and MC11.1.53
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 10:34:53 pm »

Hi there,

Any chance you could turn on handheld logging, and post the tail end of the log once it locks up?  It should let us see what MC is working on. (probably sending playlists -- so it may be worth testing with and without playlists also)

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 09:06:21 am »

Matt - not sure how to turn on handheld logging?

Also, I manually send playlists to the iPod, so in at least some of these cases of freezing - if not all - playlists were not part of what I was sending to the drive. (I was literally manually selecting multiple albums and sending to Apple iPod.)

Would the logs also help explain the discrepancy with respect to free space on the drive?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 02:48:43 pm »

To turn on logging, go to Help->Configure Debug Logging and enable 'Output to a log file'. Then, under 'Types of events to log' select 'Handheld'.

In regards to the space free discrepancy, if you browse to your iPod in Windows Explorer, what does it report for space free? If the same as MC (which I bet it will be) this means you have a lot of additional files sitting around taking up space on your iPod that the iPod database is not aware of.

Steve

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:15:04 pm »

...this means you have a lot of additional files sitting around taking up space on your iPod that the iPod database is not aware of

I figured that was what was happening - could those non-recognized files be those that were supposedly uploaded, but MC didn't finish because it froze? Anyway, I re-formatted the iPod and started over.

I'll enable handheld logging, and if/when I re-experience the problem, I will post it here.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 08:45:45 am »

I figured that was what was happening - could those non-recognized files be those that were supposedly uploaded, but MC didn't finish because it froze?

Maybe. Hard to say without further testing for sure.

If you ever have a simliar problem, if you select 'Rebuild database from iPod' the database on iPod should become aware of any files that it is not and should be aware of.

Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up