INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 won't start on domain computer  (Read 1467 times)

666damo

MC11 won't start on domain computer
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:48:49 am »

Hey people,

I'm Damo. I really hate to make my first post a problem because the program generally works wonderfully. Also, I tend to be a bit long-winded: please forgive me. Thanks in advance guys and girls.

I've been using MC10 for a few months now on 2 XP computers and a 2003 server. Through searching, I got MC10 to run for power users on the XP boxes as the privileges were a problem beforehand.

The current, similar, problem presented itself when I made these computers part of a domain. MC10 kept telling me that I needed at least power user permissions again. (In a generic domain, there is no such thing as a power user group.) I did however construct the equivilent - the error still appeared.

Further searching in the forums semi-guananteed me that MC11 would fix my problem. One overdrawn creditcard later, I was the proud owner of a new MC11 reg file. MC11 started up while logged in as a domain user, then bam. Gone. Disappeared. No warning, No error.

I have exhausted my options. It will start only with a user who is a member of the administrators group.

Are there logs that I should check?
Permissions that domain users should be given?
I don't want to give them write access to a whole bunch of files!

Cheers,
Damo.

no matter how bad you think things may be, remember: you can't fall off the floor

666damo

Update: MC11 won't start on domain computer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 05:37:41 am »

Spoke too soon... well, I fixed one computer at least.

I'll do a little more testing to figure out what the problem was exactly, but my current best guess is that MC10 needs to be removed before MC11 will start as a non-administrator user.
By this I mean a full uninstall - including library.

I will check if this fixes the other computer.

cheers,
Damo.
no matter how bad you think things may be, remember: you can't fall off the floor

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC11 won't start on domain computer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 06:41:31 am »

I'm afraid I can't be much help with your privilege problems. I have no recent experience of NT/2000-3 based server setups. I run only a simple unrestricted shared folders based setup on my LAN and all users are admins. I have shared only the needed folders. My double firewall system (firewall/nat box & SW) hopefully keeps outsiders out.

When it comes to uninstalling MC10 and preserving your data you may find these threads useful:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28578.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27914.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28727.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

666damo

Re: MC11 won't start on domain computer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 05:06:09 pm »

Quote by Alex B in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27914.msg194327#msg194327
It didn't delete the old library because that option was not selected, but also it didn't automatically find it.

This sounds like it may have been the cause of the problem. MC11 would start up, try to import the old library then die.

The library files, correct me if i'm wrong, are not your media files. They are the database or metafiles for your media files.

By removing the library files, I was presented with a dialog asking whether I would like to import an old library or start anew. The restore option would work, however the fresh library would crash.

A guess to the cause of this problem is that the library files were not removed properly during the upgrade and there may have been two conflicting libraries. eg one in the roaming profile, one on the system.

In summary, make a backup of your library (if you need to) and completely uninstall previous versions of MC, rather than rely on the install finding previous versions.

Alex B, in that same post, said it better than I:
For the cleanest possible result I would recommend taking the following steps when upgrading from any previous MC version or from MJ8:

1. Make a library backup(s) to a safe place outside of the program folders. Each library needs a separate backup.

2. Copy the cover art folder to the same safe place. Make a note about the original path.

3. Make notes about the program options you have customized. You need to reconfigure them after installing MC11.

4. Uninstall the old version completely using its uninstaller. Check the program folders and delete all possibly remaining JRiver folders.

5. Return the cover art folder to the original location if it was deleted from the MJ/MC data folder.

6. Install MC11 and restore the library(ies). Check the program options and adjust if needed. Everything should be OK now.

A remark: Replay Gain analysis must be redone after upgrading from MJ8 (the system changed in MC9).

Thanks Alex
cheers,
damo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up