INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11.1 corrupted iPod database lockup  (Read 1866 times)

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
11.1 corrupted iPod database lockup
« on: November 18, 2005, 05:27:44 am »

I'm using 11.1.059 at the moment and currently can't really take advantage of the cover art support for a long transfer.  I thought I'd take out a few songs that have a hot girl as an album cover and then sync them back, just to have some songs with cover art on them.  This was just over 100 songs out of 2200+ total.  When it was almost done, Windows locked up.  The iPod database was fine and I could still browse and play all the files that weren't in that queue.  But MC never seems to be able to open if the database doesn't get updated right.  I tried deleting the folders, got another windows hang.  After rebooting, I tried opening MC, thinking initializing is faster than deleting 2100+ songs (I had deleted the iTunes folder), but MC for some reason tried to rebuild the iPod database AUTOMATICALLY.  I don't have auto-sync enabled, either.   It froze immediately.  Rebuilding never worked too well for me in any version of MC so I just don't use it.

Auto-initializing or auto-rebuilding, I'd prefer not to have these enabled by default.  Maybe MC can be reworked to better handle corrupted or semi-corrupted databases with a pop-up dialogue box saying something like, "Media Center was previously unable to completely refresh the iPod database.  Would you like to revert the database to the last good sync?" or maybe have options to rebuild database, initialize or revert to some sort of handheld backup that would delete all the files that aren't in the backup.

And I don't know if anything can be done about 4G/post 4G iPods needing to restart themselves before transfers, but maybe it's possible for MC to detect when this needs to be done to prevent lockups during uploads.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 11.1 corrupted iPod database lockup
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 09:10:12 am »

I tried opening MC, thinking initializing is faster than deleting 2100+ songs (I had deleted the iTunes folder), but MC for some reason tried to rebuild the iPod database AUTOMATICALLY.

Initializing the iPod in MC (right click option) will delete all files and reset the iPod database. If MC finds a corrupted database when it is opening, it will automatically try to rebuild the database. It will not delete the files.

if anything can be done about 4G/post 4G iPods needing to restart themselves before transfers,

Not sure on this. I have a hunch that some of this may be related to running on Windows 98.

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
Re: 11.1 corrupted iPod database lockup
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 01:03:05 am »

More often than not, if the iPod database is corrupted, MC will crash when I try to open it.  I don't like the auto-rebuild feature because I'd rather just start over and initialize then upload.  Yesterday it locked up on me, and in the past, something to do with lower memory or processor power, the files would have square characters in some of the fields.  For instance, a file tagged as with the artist as, say, Garbage, the field could end up as something like ???bage in the database (not the file).  I might use rebuild when I eventually get a new computer, but I prefer not to at all with this piece of fei-oo.

I tried opening MC, thinking initializing is faster than deleting 2100+ songs (I had deleted the iTunes folder), but MC for some reason tried to rebuild the iPod database AUTOMATICALLY.

Initializing the iPod in MC (right click option) will delete all files and reset the iPod database. If MC finds a corrupted database when it is opening, it will automatically try to rebuild the database. It will not delete the files.

What I meant was that it's faster for MC to delete all the files by initializing than it is to do it manually with Windows.  What I'd like is an option to turn off auto-rebuild.  If the database is corrupted, MC refuses to open and I have to delete the iTunesDB file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up