INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble registering my copy  (Read 1655 times)

jagdriver

• World Citizen
Trouble registering my copy
« on: November 29, 2005, 01:01:40 pm »

I have a MC 10 license I purchased through Cinemar.  It is not in a .jrm file (or whatever). How do I register my copy of MC 11?

Additionally, please note that not everyone's media server is connected to the Internet, as in my case.

Installing MC 11 initially failed until, using the URL in the failed notification dialog box, I accessed your site from another PC two floors away from my media server, then downloaded the M$ runtime installation package. I then Xferred the packaged runtime EXE via a USB jumpdrive.

Again MC 11 installation failed until I ran the downloaded M$ executable to unpack its contents (couldn't your installation have detected the presence of the runtime package and unpacked it for me?).

Note that I did both of these steps simply through years of experience; a PC newbie (or even someone a little more advanced than that) would most likely have been stymied at the first sign of trouble.

SO... will I even be able to properly register MC 11 even though my media server isn't 'Net-enabled? And how can I lay my hands on a proper .jrm file (or whatever)?

Thanks         > Chris Morton

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Trouble registering my copy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 01:05:11 pm »

This page has the details you need:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/buy_faq11.html

Use your Registration Code to do a restore.  Then use the Install Key you receive in e-mail to transfer to the machine that's not on the net.  Save it and execute it.  Install Keys live for 14 days.  Registration Codes last forever.

I notice that you have an MC10 license, but you're installing MC11.  The license won't work with MC11.  You can upgrade from MC10.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 01:06:58 pm »

Again MC 11 installation failed until I ran the downloaded M$ executable to unpack its contents (couldn't your installation have detected the presence of the runtime package and unpacked it for me?).
You should have been able to execute the downloaded file.  If it didn't, there may be some other problem.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:22:08 pm »

You should have been able to execute the downloaded file.  If it didn't, there may be some other problem.
I was able to execute it, Jim. What I'm reporting is that the sequence went like this:
1) Attempt MC 11 install
2) Dialog box message pertaining to M$ runtime package  ?
3) Downloaded and Xferred M$ package (as EXE) to media server  :-\
4) Attempt MC 11 install
5) Dialog box message pertaining to M$ runtime package   ::)
6) Manually ran M$ runtime package to unpqack contents
7) Attempt MC 11 install
8) Install OK  :)

At step 4 above, your installer could be reworked to detect the presence of the M$ package (as EXE) in the same folder, then--on its own--unpack its contents on behalf of the person performing the installtion.

Further, the dialog box message in steps 2 and 5 could be more explicit in relation to the requirement of having the M$ runtime package aboard the media server. I simplay guessed at this based on the URL reported in the dialog box.

Again, please don't make any assumption about anyone's media server being connected to the 'Net. I specifically keep mine OFF the 'Net so as 1) not to infect it and 2) other personal reasons.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:25:01 pm »

This page has the details you need:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/buy_faq11.html

Use your Registration Code to do a restore. 

Can you please elaborate? Should I 1) install MC 10 on the 'Net-connected PC, 2) perform a restore, 3) purchase the upgrade to MC11, 4) Xfer the license file to my media server?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 01:33:32 pm »

Should I 1) install MC 10 on the 'Net-connected PC, 2) perform a restore, 3) purchase the upgrade to MC11, 4) Xfer the license file to my media server?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 01:35:35 pm »

For some possible upgrade issues you may want to check this thread out:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27914.0

EDIT:

Alex also provided some other links, which I have a feeling include the following points:

1.  MC 10 libraries are upwardly compatible with MC 11, but not the reverse.  Make certain that you back up your library, and then back it up to a second location unrelated to MC, just to be sure.  Any additions you make to the library in MC11 will need to be re-done if you go back to MC 10 and use your backup library.

2.  The latest stable version is 11.0.316.  There are alpha versions of 11.1, but there has yet to be a pain-free version.  Additionally, 11.1 has compatibility issues with 11.0.x as well as 10.

3.  11.0.316 is a great version, I use its near-twin, 11.0.314, all day long, blasting FLACs to beat the band.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 01:50:32 pm »

Again, please don't make any assumption about anyone's media server being connected to the 'Net. I specifically keep mine OFF the 'Net so as 1) not to infect it and 2) other personal reasons.
I understand your thinking, but PC's not connected to the Internet are now rare in our target market.  For better or worse, we're not going back. 

You could a) resist, b) give in and allow a temporary Internet connection, or c) use a player that doesn't need an Internet connection.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 02:02:46 pm »

I understand your thinking, but PC's not connected to the Internet are now rare in our target market.  For better or worse, we're not going back. 

You could a) resist, b) give in and allow a temporary Internet connection, or c) use Winamp.
;) Your quick and excellent support has saved the day—such a response from another entity may have caught me in a disgruntled mood. Instead, I'm humored... you win! Plus, the previiew I experienced last night has me very excited. Any plans to tap into the www.musicgenome.com project, ala www.pandora.com?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 02:05:05 pm »

Not any time soon.  Sorry.

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 02:12:55 pm »

Not any time soon.  Sorry.
I mention it only because the Music Genome project has a great thing going in terms of IDing like kinds of music ultimately for sorting, queueing and the like. I see you have a BPM (and other) feature(s); I'll experiment with these. Can MC 11 auto-create a playlist based on such criterion as the BPM of tracks?

Thnaks again... looking forward to getting started with MC!
Pages: [1]   Go Up