INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change Replay-Gain  (Read 1807 times)

bbogart

• Recent member
Change Replay-Gain
« on: November 29, 2005, 08:20:18 pm »

I need a way to change the calculated replay gain in MC for some tracks.  I need most track to be played at the same volume but an occasional track to be played quieter.  If there is another way to do this while still using volume leveling that would be even better.

In MC it appears that you cannot change the value of the replay gain tag.  It is stored in the comment tag of mp3 files which I changed outside of MC then tried to update Library from tags but no luck.  Apparently it does not update the replay gain tag.

Maybe, is there a way to edit this in the field (replay gain).jmd file?

It would be great if I could just edit it in MC, but any other ideas are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben

rhom

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Change Replay-Gain
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 08:25:03 pm »

speaking of replay gain, in the event that we can't change that calculated value would it be possible to add another field to allow for a fixed per track gain/loss value so we can make individual tracks louder/softer  (some songs just have to be louder)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 08:32:36 pm »

As far as replay gain goes, it is a calculated field and you can either accept it wholesale or delete the individual field so that your default sound level is used.  However, there is another and better way to approach this.

Try the plugin EQdb in the third party plugins page.  This little app was written by Scot Thomson, president of ThomSound.  His purpose was exactly what you stated.  With this you can adjust the EQ as well as the preamp function, which will give you an offset to your calculated replay gain setting.

The plugin is still in beta testing.  I have found only one bug, which is that if playing now is empty, your first track must be added via the right-click menu, and not via drag-and-drop.  EVerything else functions as expected.

This plugin works irrespective of your other settings, it will add or subtract from them.  IMO, this is core functionality for digital audiophile systems.

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 09:21:27 pm »

EQdb is kind of close to what I need, but has some pretty severe problems for my application.  I'm  using the program to dj Argentine Tango dance events, and people are really attached to the end of the songs.  Different orchestras have their special endings etc.  The buffer problem in EQdb (setting the next tracks eq before the end of the current track) will not be tollerated by these folk.

Secondly, EQdb does not remember the previous eq state.  I still need to be able to set the eq to work best in whatever room I'm in.  So I can't set eq data for each track, I need to be able to control the eq for all the tracks at once and in real time. However, I need to change the replay gain of certain tracks which are not to be danced to.  (They are a sort of musical interludes).

Thanks for the idea though, it was so close.  Any other suggestions?
Ben

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:36:27 pm »

You are right about the buffer issue, of course.  KingSparta suggested an approach to this, however, I believe Scot Thomson is currently resting up from having single-handedly fixed the FLAC support within jriver.  So it will likely not happen in time for you.

As for remembering previos EQ state, I believe this can be done with selecting multiple fields and then entering the value through the tag editor.  As for real time, you may have to go to a sound card that offers such tools, for example RME.

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:59:41 pm »

Thanks jgreen for your help.  I'm going to continue to persue a software based solution though.  If not for that buffer problem I could use another ex with the directx plugin plugin.. but alas.  I was looking at an old plugin which I cannot get to install called autoequaliser.  It has a good idea, it can set eq by genre.  This would solve my problem since all the tracks which need to have their volume lowered are (or can be) in the same genre.  Can't get it to install though and it appears very old.

For me, finding a way to edit the replay gain field would be sufficient.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 10:25:37 pm »

You could use MP3Gain for changing the volume levels after the files are analyzed with MC.

MC has no means to know that the files were changed afterwards and it will continue to use the stored replay gain values.

In addition, you could make a custom library field for storing info about the changes.

MP3Gain can also save undo information and remove the volume level alterations later if needed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:58:40 am »

Thats basically what I thought of last night while sleeping.  I don't see why that wouldn't work (as long as I dont every reanalize the files).  Thanks.

Ben
Ben

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 12:18:39 pm »

It will work. I have used it from time to time.

MP3Gain can also be used for replaygaining MP3 files for HW devices that don't have a built-in volume levelling. In this case MC's analysis should be run afterwards for getting the correct values inside MC.

MP3Gain writes its undo info into APE tags, which are nonstandard for MP3. MC ignores APE tags in MP3 files completely so they don't couse any problems with MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 10:02:56 pm »

Ahh, but then of course they all have to be mp3's.  That wasn't too hard though and I'm not too concerned with the sound quality of these files.

Thanks.  Serves my purpose perfectly.
Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up