INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database & exporting  (Read 2302 times)

Charlie Greg

Database & exporting
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:14:44 pm »

I have not purchased Media Center yet,  but I have downloaded and installed the demo version.  I must say so far I like a lot of the features and the program seems pretty straight forward and easy to use.  I am in the process of converting some 3000 cd's to wma files and storing album cover and track info to an external 250 gig hard drive.  I don't think I need to tell you, it's a mighty huge project and I would prefer to do it only once.

My questions are this:
     1) In the event that I wish to change programs or need to export all data (textual track info to csv or MS Access data files), will that be available.  The only thing I see is the ability to export playlist.
     2) I notice that multable displays can be used.  Would I be able to display visualazations on one display while selecting songs on the other.

Thanks in advance

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Database & exporting
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:10:00 pm »

My questions are this:
     1) In the event that I wish to change programs or need to export all data (textual track info to csv or MS Access data files), will that be available.  The only thing I see is the ability to export playlist.

MC supports export in XML format. It makes possible to transfer the database to other programs.

In addition, it is possible to export playlists in ASCII delimited text format. The resulting files can be opened e.g. with a spreadsheet program. A playlist can include the complete file library including all library fields.

The easiest way to export data is to select the visible files and copy-paste into Excel or another spreadsheet program.

2) I notice that multable displays can be used.  Would I be able to display visualazations on one display while selecting songs on the other.

It is easily possible. You can also run image slideshows or videos on the second display and maintain the file library at the same time.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 11:01:27 pm »

MC supports export in XML format. It makes possible to transfer the database to other programs.
This is not much use unless the importing program is capable of understanding it. I find mpl (MC's XML format) useful for just one app ...MC.

Scott Raymond's site has XSL stylesheets that can transform mpl to a format that can be imported into acess (See MPL2Acess). You would also need the MC XML Export plugin.

In addition, it is possible to export playlists in ASCII delimited text format. The resulting files can be opened e.g. with a spreadsheet program. A playlist can include the complete file library including all library fields.
This might be an easier option.

Try out with a few albums to get a feel. If you are going to be importing 3k albums, might help to get a workflow.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 03:45:15 am »

The easiest way to export data is to select the visible files and copy-paste into Excel or another spreadsheet program.

Is there also a way to get exported data back and update tags? This would be very helpful if you want to calculate tags in Excel and just can send them back (Copy & Paste) ?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 07:42:38 am »

Is there also a way to get exported data back and update tags? This would be very helpful if you want to calculate tags in Excel and just can send them back (Copy & Paste) ?

No easy way, that's for sure.  It used to be feasible to delete the library entry (but not the file) and then reimport the MPL.  I haven't tried this in a while and it's probably not worth the bother considering there's no easy way to "update" (i.e. synchronize) the tags - it's all or nothing unless you apply synchronization directly to the XML files before reimporting.

I'd like to see this funtionality (allow an update of the library by importing an MPL), but I don't know how many others would find it useful.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 01:55:16 pm »

How many users would like this also depends on if they see what you could do with it.

For myself, I think of mass updates for fields with rules I can easily setup within Excel. In advanced cases I could make use of VBA. I can set condition constructs much more efficient in Excel.

E.g. you use GENRE as master category with rock, pop, classics etc. Then you have a field style with alternative rock, progressive rock etc. I want to assign styles to genres. This would be easy within Excel. I could update the fields and send back the tags.

It's just one thought, it's easy to think of other useful cases...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 03:02:16 pm »

This is not much use unless the importing program is capable of understanding it. I find mpl (MC's XML format) useful for just one app ...MC.

I wrote: makes possible:)
I think most end users are fine with using MC itself for their database needs.

All items in the exported XML file have a header and a value. Importing the items to a database program needs a filter for interpreting the data. I suppose Scott's tool does just that. Another filter could do the reverse.

MC can import XML data. The old files must be first removed from the library so it is good to gather them to a playlist before any partial export. Though, the XML import has some problems: The Import Date field will be updated automatically so it is not possible to preserve the original date. I have also stumbled on a size limit. In my case it occurred at about 20000 database files. I had to split a bigger database into separate XML files. The third problem is time. MC unnecessary analyzes every imported file. MC should have a "do a quick and dirty import" button. Then it would take only a few seconds. In addition, that button would make possible to import databases that consist of offline files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 09:14:11 pm »

I wrote: makes possible:)
MC can import XML data. The old files must be first removed from the library so it is good to gather them to a playlist before any partial export. Though, the XML import has some problems: The Import Date field will be updated automatically so it is not possible to preserve the original date. I have also stumbled on a size limit. In my case it occurred at about 20000 database files. I had to split a bigger database into separate XML files. The third problem is time. MC unnecessary analyzes every imported file. MC should have a "do a quick and dirty import" button. Then it would take only a few seconds. In addition, that button would make possible to import databases that consist of offline files.

Right...  what MC allows you to do is to re-import from an MPL.  Your suggestions are good... they'd be satisfied if JRiver added a way to update (including new, aka import) from just the database perspective.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 11:09:05 am »

Tolga explained how he has been able to import offline files in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27958

I reported my MPL problems here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26257.0

I going to try MPL import with 11.1, but I suppose it has not changed recently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up