INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod - iTunes - MC  (Read 6062 times)

butlertl

• Recent member
iPod - iTunes - MC
« on: December 06, 2005, 07:52:02 am »

Has anyone published instructions for using iTunes for loading video and MC for loading music?

Any plans for providing video support in the near future?

Thanks

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod - iTunes - MC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:21:12 am »

Any plans for providing video support in the near future?

This works in the latest versions of MC 11.1. You can copy mp4, m4v and mov files to iPod from within MC to an iPod Video and play them successfully.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:04:43 pm »

MC still only "sees" about 10 of the 16 mp4 files in a directory.  Changing the extensions to mpg, as suggested in a different thread, resulted in the missing files being recognized, but when I changed them back to mp4, they were not recognized.  Moving the missing files to a different directory did not change the result.  All of the files were converted from DVDs around the same time with Videora.

If MC can't see these files (which are visible in Windows Explorer), I'm not sure I trust it to transfer them (though it would make life easier to handle videos via MC).  Any suggestions?

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 09:56:06 pm »

I'm confused -- I must be missing something.  Steve says video works (just in MC?).  Shouldn't MC still see the files?

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 09:54:41 am »

Transfer of mp4 video to iPod Video should work successfully. mov content is possibly questionable. I am having mixed results with iTunes with this and subsequently with MC.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 04:08:11 pm »

Steve - thanks.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have about 6 mp4 files that I can see in Windows Explorer and in iTunes, but that MC (using 11.1.66 through .73) does not register/see. 

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 01:29:30 pm »

but that MC (using 11.1.66 through .73) does not register/see.

To clarify, this is prior to any attempt to send to iPod, correct? The issue is a failure to import a particular mp4 file issue, yes? Can you email one of the files in question?

steve @ jriver.com

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:08:24 pm »

Right - prior to attempt to transfer to iPod & prior to import; it won't see the files in the "devices\my computer\v:\ipodvideos directory".  I did not want to try import or transfer until MC sees all the files.  The last three files shown in the pan have garbage characters in the album field, so the files may be bad.  But Windows Explorer & iTunes see the files and work OK with them (import & transfer work in iTunes).

The files are 600MB+, so I doubt you want that emailed to you.  Your call.  Thanks,

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 06:03:35 am »

In case it is related, when I click on the directory in which the 16 videos (each over 600MB) are located, MC takes over 5 minutes to display the 10 files it sees, in the meantime displaying the message "gathering information and updating view."  MC can display approx. 7k mp3 files in seconds, by comparison.   Does MC look at the entire video file before displaying it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 07:01:02 am »

Are the files on a network drive?

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 08:00:28 pm »

Not network drive - USB external drive

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 09:40:30 pm »

It may be running at USB 1 speed.

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 11:12:01 pm »

This works in the latest versions of MC 11.1. You can copy mp4, m4v and mov files to iPod from within MC to an iPod Video and play them successfully.

Although Music Videos don't end up in the right place.  If I sync over a U2 video from iTunes, it'll go into Music Videos, filed by artist.  After I do any kind of sync in MC11, it'll end up over in the generic "Videos" section.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 02:07:32 am »

I managed to pick me up a 5g 60gig ipod on the cheap... woohoo!!

I have not installed itunes, and I hope I won't ever need to either.
MC is handling things in a really smooth fashion.

keen to try out the video features of my new toy, I located a couple of 600mb mp4 movies. Although these show up in explorer as MC associated files, when viewing the folder internally with MC, just like serf is seeing, the files are not listed.
I'm wondering if this could be a h.264 related problem? Is that likely?

need picture support real bad. I read that it's in the pipeline, but what's a good ballpark estimate? Are we talking weeks months or years?

The seamless interaction between MC and the ipod really is super impressive. 4.75 out 5 from me. nail down some picture support for a 5/5 :)

-marko.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 08:21:14 am »

Jim:

No, not USB1; it's USB2.  Windows Explorer & iTunes display all 16 of the files in the directory instantly.  MC spends over 5 monutes gathing info & displaying view, but does not show all of the files.  When MC does show the files 3 of the files display garbage characters in the album field.

I could be wrong (it could be my system, external harddrive, files, etc.).  But it seems that the problem may be in MC as Explorer & iTunes handle the files fine.

I'd like to use MC to handle all files, video & audio, because it is a huge hassle every time I use MC to sync the audio to have to recopy all of the video playlists/files using iTunes, but I'm hesitant to use it to use MC for that purpose until it can recognize & display the files.  (What's happening is that I put off using MC to sync audio as long as possible on the 5G.)

Alternatively, it would be nice if syncing audio with MC did not "step on" (i.e., obliterate) the video playlists/files transferred by iTunes until this is resolved.

Apparently, I'm not the only one experiencing this.  Thanks for any help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 08:34:48 am »

Windows sometimes connects devices at USB1 speeds even if the connection supports USB2.

Kill any iPod software running.  Take a look at what else is running, too.

Are you using the latest 11.1?

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 11:24:05 am »

re: Kill any iPod software running.  Take a look at what else is running, too.

I have - no difference.  Only (for me) typical processes running in background.  I really don't think it is a USB1 issue (unless it crops up in MC only).

re: Are you using the latest 11.1?

Yes - .66 to .76 - same result.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 01:43:12 pm »

On reflection, how would USB1 matter?  Explorer & iTunes don't have the two problems (slow and incomplete recognition of the files).  Sorry, I'm not getting it, I guess.  Thanks,

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 12:46:28 pm »

serf,

Sorry for the confusion, lets try to clarify the issue once again. You are not having an issue with your portable device (yet). Your current issue is that MC only recognizes a small number of your videos are being recognized by MC.

What filetypes are recognized? What file types are not? If there is no consistancy there, what happens if you move an unrecognized file to a location that you know contains files that are recognized and then try to import from there?

Steve

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 03:20:47 pm »

I have 2 h.264 mp4 files here that play just fine with nero showtime.

MC refuses to acknowledge their existance.

benmaxwell

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 04:10:58 pm »

Hye Steve, et al...

I've been dealing (poorly) with iTunes for a month or so now and overall can't stand it.  I'm ready to come back to MC (and am looking foward to the photo support) But I have bought some tv shows in the m4v format which MC 11.1.74 isn't playing.  Would they still be copied over to the iPod by MC? Also, any suggestions on how to handle two copies of the same vid within the library?  I have some that are converted for transfer, then I have the masters...

Thanks,
Shuttle SB51g
p4 2.4g
yamaha crwf1
Sony DVD Burner
black 60gb 5gen iPo

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 04:24:52 pm »

Also, any suggestions on how to handle two copies of the same vid within the library?  I have some that are converted for transfer, then I have the masters...
Would it help to rename one?

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 07:35:05 pm »

Steve:

>>Sorry for the confusion, lets try to clarify the issue once again. You are not having an issue with your portable device (yet). Your current issue is that MC only recognizes a small number of your videos are being recognized by MC.<<

Right.

>>What filetypes are recognized? What file types are not? If there is no consistancy there, what happens if you move an unrecognized file to a location that you know contains files that are recognized and then try to import from there?<<

mp4 files (whether all in the same directory or moved to different directories) are not all recognized/displayed by MC using the "my computer" tree.  When I click on the "iPodvideos" directory on the external drive designated "v:" MC shows the "gathering info & displaying view" message for seven minutes before displaying anything.  Regardless of the directory they are in, MC will see only 10 files and not see the other (now) 9 files.  (FWIW, 3 of the "displayed" files appear to contain garbage characters in the file name or album name field.)  Windows Explorer and iTunes show the same files (all of them) instantly when I click on that directory on that drive.

When I moved one of the files MC does not see to the laptop's internal drive, MC still does not see the file, but does so quickly (i.e., the "gathing info and displaying view" message does not appear).

m4v files (in a separate directory) appear to be recognized and displayed by MC instantly.

I hope this is clearer & helps.

SteveG

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 01:37:58 pm »

Are any of the videos that are not playing available for purchase so that we could get one and try to verify your results here? If so, from where?

Thanks.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 08:12:36 pm »

Yes, in DVD form - I used DVD Decrypter & Videora to create the files.  They transfer & play fine via iTunes.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 05:26:34 pm »

Yes - .66 to .76 - same result.

Have you tried .80 or .81?

-EDIT-

Please try .82
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 07:47:57 pm »

.80 & .81 did not improve it.  But, .82 saw the mp4 files quickly & imported them.  mp4 seen as video. 

m4p seen as documents & would not transfer due to insufficient rights (?).  These are TV shows (Hitchcock) purchased on iTunes (therefore limited to transfer via iTunes?).

Transferring mp4 now.

Thanks for whatever you did.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 09:26:56 pm »

Transferred a few updated audio ratings & 10 videos.  Close on sync (even though supposed to close on exit).  No audio, video files or playlists available on iPod after eject.  Upon reconnecting, files are visible on iPod in MC, though no playlists.  It's done this off & on after syncing over the last few weeks.

Is there an easy solution for this w/o having to resync everything, which takes hours?  I once tried rebuilding databse on iPod in MC & then resyncing playlists -- it sent the iPod into an endless "apple" loop.

I initialized & tested an audio & a video mp4 file.  The audio played, as did the video.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 09:51:05 pm »

.80 & .81 did not improve it.  But, .82 saw the mp4 files quickly & imported them.  mp4 seen as video. 

m4p seen as documents & would not transfer due to insufficient rights (?).  These are TV shows (Hitchcock) purchased on iTunes (therefore limited to transfer via iTunes?).

Transferring mp4 now.

Thanks for whatever you did.

m4p can only be handled by QuickTime / iTunes due to, as you haved guessed, DRM issue. But it can be played in MC if you have QuickTime installed.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 06:49:08 pm »

Got MC to play (via QuickTime) - you need to check the box in About QuickTime/QuickTime Settings/File Types/MPEG-MPEG Systems/Video (protected).

Why does a m4v file still show as a document and reside in the data tree?  .83's summary of changes suggests this was fixed?

butlertl

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005, 03:30:15 pm »

IU have the latest build and MC does not see the m4p file....actually, now that I have Quicktime playing the file.....it shows as a MPEG-4 file.  I used TVHarmony to convert the file.  IT is possible that I am doing something wrong.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up