INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback of HD-stored VOB files  (Read 1488 times)

jrwhittaker

Playback of HD-stored VOB files
« on: December 09, 2005, 05:06:29 pm »

I am a new user to Media Center; which I acquired as a result of reading postive reviews of it being an all-in-one playback/database for media.  Up to yesterday I had only used it for both WAV and WMA-Lossless playback of files from the HD.  After acquiring a new USB HD I loaded a very large number of 'music videos' recorded on a standalone DVD recorder from Leno's, Letterman's, Kimmel's, etc. programs.  The majority of the 3-5 minute VOB files have a PCM audio stream embedded (not AC3). That is, groups of compiled videos were 'loaded' from their menued DVDs to HD as separate DVD images/folders.

Transfering a copy of one such video to its own folder (just a single 'small' VOB file) I was able to play it back fine using the "TheaterTek" video media player.  Using all the recommended methods of renaming the file to MPG and/or using the 'advanced import' [of DVD] functions seen previously in the Forum would not playback the single file.  Attempting to playback the full-DVD images did work.  When the single filed was renamed to MPG, the audio played but there was no picture.  Sadly in attempting to get Media Center to 'import' the one test file resulted in my entire WAV/WMA music database being wiped out?   

I believe I followed the exact instructions of "Matt the Administrator" in his prior forum message about identifying DVDs to the library - yet Media Center ignored my instruction to only search one folder [F:/Temporary] and wiped the entire library???  Unbelievable, and I have no clue as to what I did wrong.  I find the instructions for the program generally opaque.  I got playlists to work, but never could get the the library browser to play music? Apparently a single VOB file and the DVD recognition aspect of the "advanced import" is a deadly combination?

I'd like to dump all my hundreds of recorded music video VOB files into one folder and have Media Center be able to play them from playlists.   I use an Audigy 4 soundcard and would also appreciate knowing why the ASIO drivers generate a bug?  You can get, with fiddling, Media Center to play one selection with the ASIO driver selected, but it delivers up some such message as "ASIO already running" as it bombs trying playing a second file.

I paid my money for the full version and would really like to be able to use Media Center as a 'jukebox' for my hundreds of recorded music videos.  Obviously there's been some previous disappointment expressed previously on this Forum about the VOB playback problem. 

Could the administrator/author address the issue with a coherent methodology to implement such a VOB jukebox scheme?  It is problematic that this is a cutting edge problem - I really would like to know what happened to my library?  What wiped it?

John

Media Center Registered 11.0.314 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3144 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 596 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2753 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050902-1326) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2763 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050922-1642) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D: DVDRW   IDE1108           Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: DVDRW    IDE1108            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback of HD-stored VOB files
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 05:10:18 pm »

We're working on VOB support right now in 11.1.  It may be worth a try.  It's in a thread near the top of this board.

It's unlikely that your library was wiped out.  People often put MC in a video mode, where it won't show other media types.  It's this or something similar.    If you open on Media Library in the tree, do you all media types?  Another possibility is that you've set up a second library.  Another is that you've logged in as a different user.

jrwhittaker

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 05:37:20 pm »

I downloaded an installed the 11.1.76 version.

Whereas my WMA-Lossless library is on my F: drive, Media Center now only has reference to my C: drive.  There are no media files on the C: drive.  All named playlists are there, just empty.  The program is definitely in the "Audio" mode.  Something wiped the library in trying to ID a VOB file (in the F:/Temporary folder) and reset the library to the C: drive.  I can find no clue as to how to reset the library to access the F: drive without redoing it?

Since I live alone, I wonder who the other user might be?  I never log on to my computer a separate users.  I haven't had time nor the heart to even try VOB file playback yet.  What happened to the library?  Do I need to redo the whole database and playlists? 

John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 06:18:38 pm »

Try clearing your library and importing again.  It's under File/Library.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 05:45:39 am »

I use an Audigy 4 soundcard and would also appreciate knowing why the ASIO drivers generate a bug?  You can get, with fiddling, Media Center to play one selection with the ASIO driver selected, but it delivers up some such message as "ASIO already running" as it bombs trying playing a second file.

I have read that Creative ASIO drivers can work only with 48 kHz input, but because you have been able to play files you have probably already set the MC output to 48 kHz.

If you are using the Creative ASIO driver you may want to try ASIO4ALL instead. I have no experience about Audigy cards, but that driver works perfectly with my Envy24 based Terratec soundcard. Actually, it is better than Terratec's ASIO driver. For some reason I couldn't output bitperfect 44.1 kHz signal with the Terratec driver.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up