INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pocket PC storage card  (Read 3017 times)

bopz

• Recent member
Pocket PC storage card
« on: December 16, 2005, 03:51:55 am »

1) Sync with a ppc data card, it does not transfer the actual playlist (m3u) files. Only the tracks.

2) I can't navigate to it in any kind of MC browser, so I can't specify a folder that MC should treat as the "device" (thus leaving other folders alone). MC should respect the folders specified in "Files and Paths" and not interact with any other part of the device, unless the folder path is simply "\" or blank (meaning "root"). Perhaps this behaviour could be optional, i.e. a checkbox for "Manage entire device as well as sync folders"

envyc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Pocket PC storage card
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 06:26:04 am »

I can't get MC to synch to my Pocket PC at all. It sees the Storage Card as a device and tries to synch to it. It shows an ''uploading'' status against each file which then changes to ''Error''. On the storage card it has created the directory structure and a corresponding audio file, however, the file is zero bytes. I have tried it with convert turned on and off. It works fine if I put the card into a card reader, so there is no issue with the media. I also synch an iPod with no issues.

When I look at the Storage Card device through MC it shows no data.

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 05:40:17 pm »

Stupid question maybe, but is a Pocket PC detected via WMDM in MC 11.1?
And WMDM doesn't support playlists? Are there any other problems or limitations with WMDM that we should know about - perhaps a sticky thread with a few pointers regarding Pocket PCs would be nice!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 11:53:34 am »

Please turn on logging for handhelds in 'Help->ConfigureDebug Logging-> Handheld' and post what it says for 'PluginName' ,'DevicePath', 'PDTName' and  'Display Name'.

Thanks.

Steve

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 06:25:32 pm »

'PluginName' ,'DevicePath', 'PDTName' and  'Display Name'.

I can't find "DevicePath" anywhere in the log file, here are the others
0010297: Handheld: CHHManager::InitializePlugin: PluginName: 'Portable Drives'
0010110: Handheld: CHHManager::UpdateWMDMDevice: PDTName: ''; DisplayName: 'Henry2gbCFCard'

Other annoying thing:
Trying to isolate MC's device management to a specific folder, so I go to
Options/DeviceManagement/Add Device
but - it doesn't allow entering a path via text. It only provides a point-and-click file browser, which does not show any way to browse to the device.

Only in windows can I browse there.
Windows Explorer shows "Mobile Device" under MyComputer.
To test this, I browsed down to the "CF Card". The path in the address bar shows as "\CF Card\", I can bookmark it as a favorite, the bookmark works. Typing "CF Card" into the address bar fails however, because it tries to put a drive letter in front, or a http://. I'm sure microsoft's weak standard re paths is the culprit here, but couldn't we try entering text into the "Add Device" dialog?

It would be easier if there was a checkbox for "Manage entire device as well as sync folders". Could JRiver have it on by default if that is important for MC's design, but especially for Pocket PCs which are multi-purpose and business-oriented, there are a few who would Not want MC to go into the non-entertainment parts of a Pocket PC, regardless of the protections against deleting certain data types. MC should provide a robust method to Keep Out of There

PS. Re playlists - Can someone confim or deny that playlists won't be transferred via WMDM? And Pocket PCs are WMDM?

11.1.84 : I still can't set a folder path for Playlists; it keeps resetting itself back to 'Playlists' on the next launch of the options window.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 03:58:56 pm »

This is starting to make sense.

Does WMP see your device without problems?

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 04:50:33 am »

WMP Sees it no problem under Tools/Options/Devices. It shows
   Henry (The Pocket PC itself, RAM)
   Built-in Storage (Henry's on-board flash memory)
   CF Card (Henry's 2gb CF Card)

- the same names as the devices auto-detected by MC after a reset

But browsing through WMP's File/Add Folder or File/Search Computer, no, it doesn't see it in those cases.

Results are the same when connecting via USB or via wireless networking, using ActiveSync 3.8. My desktop doesn't have Bluetooth but even using Bluetooth the connection would still go through ActiveSync and its related drivers, I imagine.

Under My Computer, I look at the details or properties of the shortcut named "Mobile Device" and it's child "My Pocket PC" and apparently they are both a type of "System Folder". Under this is the "CF Card" which is a "File Folder."

I made a Favorite in Explorer that links OK to "CF Card" and dragged it onto the desktop, thinking it may be treated like a folder shortcut. Windows Explorer deals with it OK, but the WMP browsers and the MC browsers don't see it, or any other folder shortcuts.

I'm running W2k with all the service packs and regular Windows Updates. The Pocket PC is a Dell Axim x50v running Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:42:17 am »

Thanks for the information. Here is my best assessment of what is going on...

Your Pocket PC is not recognized by your PC as a remote drive. It looks like one because Windows is making it appear in Explorer as if it is one, but fundamentally it is not a drive and therefore many things that MC is capable of doing with remote drive type devices are not possible. This is made clear to me by the fact that you do not see a 'Devicepath' entry in the logging.

Eventually there are some tricks we can do to improve support for Pocket PCs such as yours, but currently there are limitations to our support of Pocket PCs.

Steve

bopz

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 07:06:23 pm »

Thanks for trying, Steve.

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:53 am »

Any developments on this front.....I see the Mobile Device (Axim x51v) in Explorer but as you said it is not "really" a removable drive, just appearing as one. Would be nice not to have to remove the CF card to transcode, or transcode then copy to the CF.

thanks
Dr. C

SwellGuy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:15:53 pm »

Funny you should ask. We've done a lot of work for Windows Mobile devices (WMD) in the last build or two.

Please test the hell out of WMD's with the build we post later today.

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:13:17 pm »

Any developments on this front.....I see the Mobile Device (Axim x51v) in Explorer but as you said it is not "really" a removable drive, just appearing as one. Would be nice not to have to remove the CF card to transcode, or transcode then copy to the CF.

thanks
Dr. C

Not exactly sure what you men by "Would be nice not to have to remove the CF card to transcode, or transcode then copy to the CF."

I've been able to sync WAV files to my X51v with conversion to MP3 without any problems or special actions using MC 11.0. Haven't made the jump to 11.1 yet.

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 08:37:36 pm »

I can't "see" my Mobile Device with MC but I could sync transcoded files to it, but not the CF card. I can't create a shortcut or access that folder via MC, only through Active Sync >Explore Mobile Device. I can't directly transcode to my 8gb CF II card; or don't know how.

Dr. C
Pages: [1]   Go Up