INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Compresion for iPod?  (Read 2045 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Best Compresion for iPod?
« on: December 16, 2005, 09:53:00 am »

Hello.... What is the best format and compression to use for Ipod?  I am currently using CBR mp3 160. Is 320 the best, or would another format be better? m4a?
-

bob

• Administrator
Re: Best Compresion for iPod?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 09:56:30 am »

Depends on whether you care about the space usage or not. I used to rip everything at CBR 256 before VBR was around. Now I use the lame preset fast extreme (which is VBR).  I care abount the quality more than the size.

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 11:25:01 am »

Depends on whether you care about the space usage or not. I used to rip everything at CBR 256 before VBR was around. Now I use the lame preset fast extreme (which is VBR).  I care abount the quality more than the size.

My Ipod is a 60 gb so size isn't an issue.... Would mp3 320 be better then AAC?

Thanks,

I was listening to a Disturbed track that was done at 160 and the highs were cracking.... It really disturbed me...   8)
-

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:52:48 pm »

192 Kbps AAC is the "sweet spot" from my tests; anything over that doesn't yield noticeably better results compared to the increased space required.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 09:52:34 am »

Well, mp3 320 is CBR and I don't think it's worth using up the space of CBR at that bitrate. I would suggest you try the preset fast extreme on the same track and listen to it to see what you think. It does seem like AAC does a  better job at lower bitrates than mp3 (though I'm certainly no expert). Personally though I like to keep stuff in a portable format and everything I have on the ipod is in mp3 format.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:56:43 pm »

As Bob said, portability is always something to consider.  My PC, iPod and Palm LifeDrive all support AAC, so that's good enough for me.  Many new car stereos also support AAC files on CD-Rs, but for true portability, MP3 is the safe bet.  :)

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 05:44:11 pm »

My Ipod is a 60 gb so size isn't an issue.... Would mp3 320 be better then AAC?

Thanks,

I was listening to a Disturbed track that was done at 160 and the highs were cracking.... It really disturbed me...   8)

Apple lossless is the best possible format for your iPod.

mp3 320 is overkill. If your going to do lossy, test the vbr presets in lame on some of your favorite music and decide what you like best. or aac if you are encoding only for your iPod.

cbr 160 is soo 90's :)

the only downside is that your ipod will have a shorter batterylife with higher bitrates :(

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 06:38:52 pm »

With the newest encoder versions the biggest factor that reduces quality is placebo.

For most of us something like VBR 128 kbps would be enough. I have my HDs full of about 250 kbps VBR files encoded at LAME --preset extreme (and Musepack q8 for my best audiophile albums), but after trying the new HA public ~128 kbps VBR listening test I think I could safely use lower bitrates from now on.  And I don't mean only with portables. I use lossy files on my home audio systems too. I don't keep my APE files online.

If you don't believe me, please try the test yourself:

BTW, there is a new public ~128 kbps listening test on progress at HA forum. The test compares the newest versions of LAME, Ogg Vorbis, Nero AAC, iTunes AAC and WMA Pro. I have tried the test program and I am quite confident the test will prove that these encoders are all very high quality and the results will be pretty much tied. The test is open for public. If someone is interested the announcement is here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39448

After the test results are published it would be a good idea to update the LAME and Vorbis encoders to the tested versions. The current LAME version is 3.97 beta 2, but it is expected to be officially released any time soon. I have not heard anything about official Vorbis releases, but Vorbis AoTuV beta 4.51 is probably the best Vorbis version so far at all quality settings. I wouldn't hesitate to include it with the MC installer. I have written about its amazing quality at ~90 kbps here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39233.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up