INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delete on auto-sync  (Read 1407 times)

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
Delete on auto-sync
« on: December 15, 2005, 03:51:52 pm »

MC 11.1.81 and auto-delete during handheld sync.

Just as reported in 11.1.78 - it happened to me in this build (my first upgrade to 11.1 on this PC).

It seems to have blown away my GPS maps, MS Reader books as well as anything else on the Storage Card of my Pocket PC.

It strangely left all folders intact though...Man, if I had of known I wouldn't have tried it. Oh well, I guess that's what beta is all about. :-(

Also, I can't seem to point to a particular folder on my PPC storage card. I have a directory called Music, but can't seem to have MC 11.1.81 point to it and only wipe the contents of that directory when synching.

Cheers,
Kwake

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 11.1.81 Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 04:04:53 pm »

MC 11.1.81 and auto-delete during handheld sync.
MC only deletes if you set it that way.  You must have checked "Delete tracks from handheld if not on sync list".

kwake

• World Citizen
Re: Delete on auto-sync
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 07:49:29 am »

Hi Jim, thanks for taking my post out of the bug track thread and not deleting it completely.

The problem is exactly as it was reported earlier - MC is deleting non music/image media from my Pocket PC - and it's deleting it from several different folders that are no where indicated in the MC settings.

This is what I wanted to signal - do you have a response for that part? Can you confirm it's fixed in the latest beta?

Thanks,
Kwake

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 08:28:30 am »

Wait a tic - I just plugged my Pocket PC in to the cradle, and was about to re-copy my GPS maps onto the storage card and bam - all the origninal files are back!

Same as the music files that were in my music folder - they're back! As are all my PPC books...etc.

This is bizarre. It seems after the MC 11.1.81 sync using Delete on Auto-Sync, all these files were simply 'hidden' somehow, and have since 're-appeared'.

I'm sure I had checked and double checked - both via Windows while the PPC was in the cradle, as well as on the device directly - I swear the folders were empty yesterday after the auto sync!

Anyway, I'll upgrade to .82, do some more testing and report back.

Regards,
Kwake

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 08:30:38 am »

Newer versions should only delete media types included in the sync when the delete option is enabled.  Let us know if you see otherwise.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 09:14:34 am »

Quick question: How do I instruct Media Centre to only sync with a particular folder on my PPC Storage Card?

In the Handheld options, I see the choice of Folders/Paths, and I've been focussing on the first in the list, Music.

I've tried inputting the name of the folder with a slash at the end - Music\ as well as tried Storage Card\Music\ however whenever I click the Storage Card in the Tree, I see all files, regardless of folder.

I'm very worried something will happen to these other files outside my Music folder on the Storage Card. Is there any way to indicate to MC only to look at my one Music folder on the card, and to ignore the rest?

Thanks,
Kwake

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 03:16:38 am »

It seems that there's a problem with Sync to Handheld while selecting "Delete from handheld any files not in sync list".

The first time I tried it in MC 11.1.81, it deleted all files on my storage card, including non media files, but left the empty folders intact. 24 hours later, the files had magically returned, as if they had only been hidden temporarily.

Tested again with MC 11.1.82 and the same option deleted 2 whole folders of non media files (France_Maps for GPS and My Documents), however left another folder with files intact (Books). It also successfully synced the MP3s from the folder in MC to the folder on the Storage Card.

This time, the deleted folders/files did not magically come back. :-(

Has anyone else been testing sync with a Pocket PC, using the "Delete from handheld..." option? Is someone at JRiver Dev doing testing with this scenario?

Thanks,
Kwake

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 03:31:03 am »

Just installed .83 build...

On further investigation, it looks like Media Center is wrongly identifying non media file types as media - which is subsequently deleted upon sync (if the delete on auto-sync is enabled of course).

Here's a screenshot showing .lit files (MS Reader books) with MC audio icons beside them: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/kwakewebfrance/MCsyncPPC.jpg

I then remove all but one song from the MC playlist my PPC syncs with and the result is the following: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/kwakewebfrance/MCsyncPPC2.jpg

The best way to resolve this I think is to limit MC to only synchronizing with a particular folder on the storage card, and leaving the rest alone. Is this technically not possible?

Kwake

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 08:02:05 am »

We'll address this early next week.

Thanks kwake.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 09:49:04 am »

FYI - this issue solved in v11.1.84
Pages: [1]   Go Up