INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jgreen: MC 11.1 Playback Skipping  (Read 820 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
jgreen: MC 11.1 Playback Skipping
« on: December 22, 2005, 09:54:48 pm »

This is my first 11.1 build, so #1, I love the new library system.  Couple of things I'm noticing, coming from 11.0:

--Messing around with the thumbnails seems to lay a big burden on playback.  I'm getting tiny skips even when CPU usage is not maxxed out.  To my knowledge, thumbnails are done writing.

--Charging into a new view, the thumbnails are all there, but occupy only 20% of the room, according to the scroll bar.  past that, all is darkness, the abyss.  Come back a bit later, things are generally more sunny and the same number of thumbnails now use 100% of the available room, which has finally shrunk to fit.

jgreen

jgreen: MC 11.1 Playback Skipping
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 10:05:45 pm »

More on  this "tender playback" issue, if you will.  MC will pop under heavy mouse usage or browser usage, seemingly.  I look at the CPU meter and sometimes it only spiked halfway, and yet MC playback popped.  This is compared to 11.0.314, which was donkey-like in it's subborn refusal to pop or skip.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: jgreen: MC 11.1 Playback Skipping
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:42:25 am »

We haven't heard this from others, so I'm guessing it's a system or settings thing.

Try adjusting the mode and buffering in Options > Playback.  Also, increasing the latency of your card (adjustable with higher end cards) will help.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

Re: jgreen: MC 11.1 Playback Skipping
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 09:43:13 pm »

Reluctantly, I agree with you, Matt.  It now appears that the minor skipping was only a premonition of bigger, bluer things to come (Registry, Registr, Regist, Regis, Regi, Reg, Re, R,   ).  Something on my machine and 11.1.089 definitely did not get along together.  Happily, I'm back up and running with the world's greatest Media Manager, MC 11. 

Shame, though.  Your new browser was eye-opening.  In the brief hour between installing 11.1.089 and reinstalling my system disk, I learned more about my media than I had in, well, the previous hour, at least.  Honestly, I think it's near-perfect and I'm a near-perfectionist.

Somewhere down the road I'll give it another try, definitely.   A visual database browser!  Congratulations to you and the whole team! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up