INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting and playback in theater view  (Read 883 times)

splatterpop

• Recent member
Sorting and playback in theater view
« on: December 25, 2005, 05:13:41 pm »

Hi all,

first I want to say that in my opinion MC has the potential to be a very powerful HTPC application. I have been a MJ user for years.

I want to use MC as a HTPC frontend, mostly for videos organized in folders.

I found some issues in MC of which some have been discussed here before, but not completely answered.

1. Filenames are always shown unsorted in Theater View, no matter how I configure the standard view and/or scheme. How can I sort the file names alphabetically in Theater View?

2. It is impossible to navigate the collection by "disk location". When I try to navigate past the root level I find myself back in some home menu. How can I make the navigation by "disk location" work properly in Theater View?

3. When I select a single file for playback the whole folder is being played, no matter how the playback behavior is configured in Options - General - Behavior. The only way around this is to choose "select" for the file and then "play selection". This is very inconvenient. I want to configure MC to play one single video and then return to the library.

I feel these are serious drawbacks which are actually keeping me from getting a license. I appreciate very much any suggestions how to work around this.

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting and playback in theater view
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 06:52:10 pm »

Hi.

1. Filenames are always shown unsorted in Theater View, no matter how I configure the standard view and/or scheme. How can I sort the file names alphabetically in Theater View?
This has to do with your view settings. From the view menu, choose "Customize Current View...". Then check the sorting list section and make sure you have "Name (a-z)" included in this list. 

2. It is impossible to navigate the collection by "disk location". When I try to navigate past the root level I find myself back in some home menu. How can I make the navigation by "disk location" work properly in Theater View?
I don't fully understand this but it's probably another view related thing.

3. When I select a single file for playback the whole folder is being played, no matter how the playback behavior is configured in Options - General - Behavior. The only way around this is to choose "select" for the file and then "play selection". This is very inconvenient. I want to configure MC to play one single video and then return to the library.
This is MC default behaviour. Play will add the whole folder. You need to select the file and choose Add. This will add the single file only to Playing Now. The playback behaviour your speak about relates to the way files are added using a mouse for standard view only so they have no effect in Theater View. I myself would prefer these settings to be global and therefore for Theater View also but they are not unfortunately.

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

splatterpop

• Recent member
Re: Sorting and playback in theater view
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 03:45:03 am »

Thank you very much for the reply.

This has to do with your view settings. From the view menu, choose "Customize Current View...". Then check the sorting list section and make sure you have "Name (a-z)" included in this list.

Sorry but I still dont get it, maybe I am doing something wrong. Heres exactly what I did.

+ Create a new view scheme in the standard view, view items = filename (path). Leave everything else as it is, say OK.

+ Select the new scheme. I can now navigate by path name.

+ Select "customize current view" in the lower right panel. It says list style = details, sorting = name (a-z). Also the "name" column header shows an arrow that indicates sorting.

In standard view MC shows the files just like it should. When I switch to Theater View, files come up unsorted again.

This is MC default behaviour. Play will add the whole folder. You need to select the file and choose Add. This will add the single file only to Playing Now. The playback behaviour your speak about relates to the way files are added using a mouse for standard view only so they have no effect in Theater View. I myself would prefer these settings to be global and therefore for Theater View also but they are not unfortunately.

I think so too. My feeling is that this is similar to the first issue - not all settings are applied globally. This looks somewhat unfinished.

Does jriver work on the product? Were there any updates recently?
Pages: [1]   Go Up