INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center has taken over my computer  (Read 2204 times)

debby7

Media Center has taken over my computer
« on: May 26, 2006, 11:44:53 am »

I downloaded Media Center 11 a while back when my CD burning software expired. The other day I put in a CD and a Media Center window popped notifying me that the software had expired and giving me 3 choices, none of which was to close the window so I could access the CD.  I tried to remove the program in "add/remove programs" but it wouldn't be removed.  So I began searching for anything on my C drive that had to do with the progam and started deleting.  Now when I put in a CD nothing happens.  If I bring up the drive with the CD in it and click on the drive I get the following message: Windows cannot find MC!!.exe This program is needed for opening files of type "RealPlayer Legacy audio CD" and then I can either click ok, cancel or locate.  I'm not happy about this at all.  It seems to have infiltrated my computer some like some deadly virus.  Please tell me how I can completely delete Media Center from my computer and how I can restore it so that I can play and burn CD's with any program.  Thank you.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center has taken over my computer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 11:59:09 am »

You really never should remove any application by deleting it directly from the C drive.  I'm not sure why using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel didn't work (as I've used it quite a few times to remove/reinstall MC).  MC does not "spread" files all over the system like many applications do (it only places files in %systemroot% when it really has to to work).

What you are seeing is the result of Windows file associations.  The way Windows knows what program you want to use to open up a music CD (or a Word Document, or a Picture file) is through a database, which says "to open all .DOC files use Microsoft Word, to open all .JPEG files use Adobe Photoshop", and so on.  The problem is that Windows still thinks it's supposed to use MC to open music CDs, even though it isn't there.  If you had used the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to remove MC, it would have correctly removed these settings.  As I said, I don't know why that didn't work as it does on my system.

Either way, you should be able to restore the default CD Associations fairly easily using whatever program you would like to use to play CDs.  For example, if you want to use Windows Media Player to play back music CDs, follow these steps (for Windows Media Player 10):

1. Open WiMP.
2. Point at the "Title Bar" (next to where it says Windows Media Player at the top) and Right-Click.
3. Choose Tools --> Options.
4. Switch to the File Types tab and check the box that says Music CD Playback.
5. You may want to check other boxes that correspond to the other file types you'd like WiMP to handle.
6. Click OK.

That should fix it.  If you would rather use iTunes or another application, review their help file for instructions on how to restore file type associations.

If you want to be very sure that MC is removed from your system, the best option would be to install the newest version available here and then use the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to properly remove the application from the system.  If you try this, and the Add/Remove process doesn't work (make sure to reinstall only the newest version I linked to above), please come back here and post again and someone will help you.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center has taken over my computer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 12:26:28 pm »

I'm not sure why using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel didn't work

Sometimes, registry cleaners, there is a OS problem or the user them self corrupt the registry or delete install\uninstall files that are required to completely Un-install the programs

most of the time, a reboot, install, reboot (if required) and un-install will fix the problem.

Microsoft also has a program that will completely uninstall programs from the add\remove programs page.

users installing another program that you wish to control your media files will correct the problem that this user is also having.

a experienced user can simply fix this problem in a few seconds by going to the control panel and configuring the appropriate program for the extender.

MC!!.exe
actually that should be MC11.exe
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up