INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1 Idea: Automatic Import (FEEDBACK WANTED)  (Read 15414 times)

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: MC 11.1 Idea: Automatic Import (FEEDBACK WANTED)
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2005, 01:58:46 pm »

That would be really useful for me for two reasons:
1.  I must use 3rd-party software to import my CDs as AAC files.
2.  I download dozens of images of female celebrities every day.  ;)

Click Cardo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2005, 03:02:21 pm »

Good ide as long as it is configurable to be on or off.

sorry if this was covered, but  I did not take the the time to read all the posts since it's near X-Mas.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2006, 03:52:59 pm »

Yes, PLEASE! 

It would make it so much easier for my children to use.

EpF

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2006, 04:54:28 pm »

I'd love to see auto importing in MC too. My main concern would be the amount of system resources the process would use up. The ability to use exclude-strings for the path and filename seperately would be very helpful.

dremo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2006, 08:28:30 pm »

I have asked a while ago for an auto import.  I have all my music at C:\Music and I would want to "watch" that folder. When MC opens, it could do a scan to see if anything new was there. (I know this is easier said than done) I would want the process to run in the background while MC is running. I do not want a separate process that runs without MC.

d.

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2006, 11:41:13 am »

A vote for including this. I normally don't like having loads of processes running, but I would quite like a separate process for this. I know a lot of people wouldn't though. You could let the user choose between automatic and manual, if they choose automatic choose between "all the time" and "only while MC is running".

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2006, 01:22:34 pm »

I have seen a check box to auto import in options, Is this working?

not sure how it works, if it does
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2006, 01:34:26 pm »

I have seen a check box to auto import in options, Is this working?

not sure how it works, if it does

Thats something different I think.  I think thats for when you play something from outside
MC thats not in the library, for example if you click play with MC from explorer,
then it will add the file to the library.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2006, 01:46:40 pm »

Usually my files are not located in the library folders before importing. I import from a separate partition and move the files with MC tools after tagging and analyzing them. This also helps to keep the library partition unfragmented.

In my opinion anything can be changed in the import function if it is an improvement for the other users. Just let me switch the auto-sync off and don't take away my 1, 2 and 3. (and the way to clean the deleted files library manually: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28266.msg196517#msg196517.)

I actually manage my imports in much the same way, though I do use the Import Media tool.  For me, it's convenient to have the ability to have a list of selectable locations to check for files.  Most of my new files end up in one of three disk locations (the general "New" partition, the Photos' New location, and my AutoGK output directory.  I keep MC's Import Media tool's list with these folders added and selected.  I also have a bunch of other locations entered into the tool too, but typically de-selected.  It's nice to be able to quickly select M:\music for those few times when I need to re-scan that entire folder, but in general things only get moved to that folder after they've been imported into MC and properly tagged.  I use MC's Rename Files from Properties tool to move them to their "final destinations" after they're all set.  So generally, scanning M:\music just takes a bunch of extra time for no benefit.  It's still good to have it there though because occasionally I'll need to give it a scan to see if anything is left behind.

The option to designate certain locations as "Auto-Import" would be helpful for those three "new" folders I mentioned, but I'd still like to retain the ability to manually scan any folder I choose for the purposes of Importing only.  As others have mentioned, when using Network Drives (or even just really large folders) the auto-scan could quickly become unweildy unless you had plenty of options.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

samplehead

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2006, 04:23:34 pm »

We're thinking of replacing "Import" with this idea in MC 11.1:

In options, you could pick folders and file types.

Then, MC would automatically keep the library in step with these folders.  It would find new files and remove broken links.

The import tool would be removed.  It might be replaced by a "Synchronize Now" command for times when you needed it to work right away.

Let us know what you think and thanks for any feedback.

It should be optional, and it should not replace the existing tool (why !??)

Cheers

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2006, 07:02:48 pm »

Thats something different I think.  I think thats for when you play something from outside
MC thats not in the library, for example if you click play with MC from explorer,
then it will add the file to the library.

I See, I guess this is still in the works then.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2006, 09:07:01 pm »

While I really like the idea (and think it should be a feature), in a realistic sense, I'm not sure that I will get that much out of it.

I keep MC running 24x7 on a server at home.  I typically copy music over onto the server and then import into MC because I want to listen to it right away.

I'd rather see a button on the interface to kickoff the import process.

Auto import would only work for me if when something is copied over it automatically gets imported in.  Not sure that this feature would work that way.

lOth

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2006, 03:02:08 am »

I'd rather see a button on the interface to kickoff the import process.

You can already do just that: right-click the top menu area (right-click "File" for isntance) and select "Customize toolbar..." in the pop-up menu. Then add the Import Media button to either your top or bottom toolbar.

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2006, 04:43:02 am »

I actually manage my imports in much the same way, though I do use the Import Media tool.  For me, it's convenient to have the ability to have a list of selectable locations to check for files.  Most of my new files end up in one of three disk locations (the general "New" partition, the Photos' New location, and my AutoGK output directory.  I keep MC's Import Media tool's list with these folders added and selected.  I also have a bunch of other locations entered into the tool too, but typically de-selected.  It's nice to be able to quickly select M:\music for those few times when I need to re-scan that entire folder, but in general things only get moved to that folder after they've been imported into MC and properly tagged.  I use MC's Rename Files from Properties tool to move them to their "final destinations" after they're all set.  So generally, scanning M:\music just takes a bunch of extra time for no benefit.  It's still good to have it there though because occasionally I'll need to give it a scan to see if anything is left behind.

You just described my way to deal with these wrong-tagged new arrivals. I keep it in INBOX untill proper tags and rating assigned.  Only after that "quarantine" I use the 'Rename...' menu to rename/move tracks.
Sometimes I wish there was some kind of global filter that would not let local users upload files with things like Genre: Other, Track#: 32 etc.  >:(  So if this quarantine folder is scanned by MC, all the files will end up in my 2 playlists: "Task -- Needs audio analysis" and "INBOX -- not rated" Autoimport would be very nice, plus user defined action after that, like run_CleanFileProperties If autoimport will be built into MC 12, once MC 13 requests forum is open, I'll ask for batch prosessing ability  :'(

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2006, 05:35:30 am »

excellent idea, settings for priority would be a good feature I think.
Rich

buffaloquinn

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2006, 01:18:40 pm »

I use Kings autoimport now and it works well.

I use it to add TV recordings that I record with some other scheduling software.  Then I can play them back via Theaterview in MC.

Only problem is when I delete the videos in my scheduling software, they stay in MC until I manually delete them from the DB within MC.

So for me personally the following would be really good.

1) MC auto import files placed into a folder(s)
2) Ability to turn ON/OFF autoimport
3) Ability to set the polling interval for the import (I currently poll every 30 minutes)
4) MC removes files from DB when thay are removed from monitored folder(s)
5) (bit off topic) The ability to delete files from folder/DB from within Theaterview, so once a TV recording has been watched it can be deleted.

Cheers
Richard
I would love to have a dynamic folder option like Richard suggests (4). Placing temporary media files and or links in this folder and having them available to the other users on my network through Library Server would be great. It would almost be like a video/audio bulletin board.

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2006, 09:11:32 am »

I'd like this too...

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2006, 11:51:35 am »

Not sure how I missed this thread for so long but I absolutely want this functionality built into MC.  It's one of the major things that WMP does that I miss in MC.

Right now, here's what I do:

rip CD with EAC and flac encode in a temp directory.
use Musicbrainz tagger to tag the flac files.
copy the files into my main MC library area.
right click on the folder and "import into MC"
go to my girlfriend's computer on the network and tools->import

I'd still like to see a manual import available.

Also, there should be options to only import new files while ignoring files that have been updated (ie tag updates).  As noted above I also run MC on a second computer on my network for my girlfriend - all her tags are stored in her library and none are written to the main files (that is reserved for me only).  So the auto import shouldn't start overwriting tags in her library because I've updated them in mine - it should only import completely new files...

Thanks,

Mark

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2006, 02:46:03 pm »

I would like to see this in addition to, not to replace the current options.

I agree, I don't want to lose the functionality that we already have, but if you adding more as well then great.

Graham

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2006, 04:22:48 pm »

I would want to see the auto import as an option alongside the existing import function, with the same ability to select locations and file types.  (Being able to specify one or more file types for each location would be handy.)

I do not want to be restricted to importing fixed groups of file types, as implied by the original suggestion, and I do not want to lose control of what I import.

In practice, I rarely require either function, as I only store files in .ape format which have been ripped from CDs.  I create MP3 files for uploading to my iPod, but first process them externally with MP3Gain to equalise the levels; these are removed from the library after uploading.

Now that would be useful: auto-equalising each file or album after conversion to MP3 but before uploading to the iPod, and all done within Media Center.
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2006, 08:27:20 pm »

It should be just like King's plugin....

1. Option to turn it off.
2. Ability to import and regular intervals (every 10mins, 30mins etc..)
3. Ability to choose filetypes and import dirs
4. Options to search sub-dirs
5. Option to import on application startup
6. Low CPU overhead.

I agree with other posts also in that I'd hate to see manual importing options (such as import from Explorer etc) lost as a result of this feature.

All-in-all, an awesome idea!
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

enervation

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2006, 03:52:25 pm »

*bump*

Feedback seems extremely positive, so is this going to be included in 11.1?

pepe lopex

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2006, 11:26:30 pm »

It does not seem to me a bad idea.  I believe that even I got to propose it in his day. 

Nevertheless, I prefer that the manual option stays as alternative mode.  Thus, we could use the automatic way or the manual way to convenience. 

I, by my form to work with the archives, prefer and also believe it thus that much more people.
MC Spanish personal translation: MC en español: Español (ES) --> http://soporte.proel.net/ftp/jrmediacenter/MClangES.zip

jss1015

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2006, 06:17:38 pm »

Any update on this feature?  It would be awesome!

Mangy Varmit

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2006, 02:26:10 pm »

Another request for an update on this, please!  :)

This is my top feature request for 11.x

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2006, 01:10:51 am »

I seem to recall asking for this feature on October 20, 2003...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=16171.msg109796#msg109796

So, yes, I'm in favor.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2006, 12:55:24 pm »

would definitely like this as well.  One addition that seemed to be hinted at in earlier posts but jsut to clarify what I'd love to be able to have:

Problem now:
When I import music now I only want the music, not the folder.jpg in each directory.  When I import my pictures I obviously want the jpgs imported.  Problem now is that I have to keep changing which files I want to import depending on the directory I am importing from.

Solution/Suggestion:
Have the file type able to be tied to an import directory (or import scheme perhaps)
This would be helpful both the manual import we have now AND for an Auto Import feature.

Cheers!

bman001

• Recent member
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2006, 01:31:16 am »

It's a good idea as long as it runs as a low-priority background thread, so we don't have to wait for it to finish.  The manual "Synch Now" command could be a normal-priority  process.

Tuckers

• Recent member
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2006, 03:15:00 am »

I too use EAC for ripping, and would love to see my FLAC files automatically added to MC when they are ripped.

hottuna

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2006, 09:01:31 pm »

It would have no use for me.

I also always rip or download files to a "temporary" directory and clean up all tags before I use MC to move the files to my music drive.

I would hate to lose the control of ensuring I have cleaned all relevant files at the time I want to.  ie->  I want files to import only when I tell them to. 

My sentiments exactly.

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2006, 06:47:44 pm »

I use MC installed on a server for UPNP.  I rip and download videos that end up in a video folder on the server.   Every time I get a new video, I have to remote control into the server and run an Import Media in MC.  It's a pain.

I'd like a scheduled import rather than something that watches my drives all of the time.  Sparta's Import plugin is very nice, but it doesn't pickup new folders, (last I checked) so it won't work for me.

It seems that there used to be a way to do an import via command line.  Has that functionality been removed?  If not, how do I do it?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2006, 05:30:23 am »

This feature would be great on my work computer, as long as the settings and folders for the auto import can be set and remembered on a per library basis.

It would also be great to have "Fix broken links" and "Remove Broken links" as seperate options.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2006, 03:13:36 am »

I haven't read all threads above so I excuse myself if this issue was already mentioned:

I import my files always from a special folder location "_New". After the import I always use the "rename files from properties" function where I wrote a complex conditional rule to move the music files corresponding to its content:

01 albums
- 01 a single artists
- 01 b various artists
02 tracks
- 02 a charts
  - 02 aa pop
  - 02 ab rock
- 02 b other
03 audiobooks

So my only wish would be that you still let me decide to define such an expression while importing. Normally, after an import I need to adjust some field tags, then I can rearrange the files.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up