INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1 Idea: Automatic Import (FEEDBACK WANTED)  (Read 15420 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
MC 11.1 Idea: Automatic Import (FEEDBACK WANTED)
« on: December 01, 2005, 12:02:45 pm »

We're thinking of replacing "Import" with this idea in MC 11.1:

In options, you could pick folders and file types.

Then, MC would automatically keep the library in step with these folders.  It would find new files and remove broken links.

The import tool would be removed.  It might be replaced by a "Synchronize Now" command for times when you needed it to work right away.

Let us know what you think and thanks for any feedback.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 11.1 Idea: Automatic Import (FEEDBACK WANTED)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:15:43 pm »

Sounds Good To Me, Many Users Have Asked For An Auto Import.

My Only Questions Would Be.

1. I Hope with large Library's it would not hog up the CPU Time
2. I Am Guessing it would do all Sub Folders
3. Um-mm
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

envyc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:19:51 pm »

This would be ideal!

Most of my media is added via downloads from online stores rather than ripping. To date I have never gotten the auto-import plug-ins to work.

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:22:31 pm »

As long as you can turn it off.... There are times were I may not want this going in the back ground.
Especialy with my work PC.
-

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 12:29:30 pm »

This would be an excellent feature.  This would be very helpful for me if MC decides not to include bit-torrent support for podcasts.  Right now, I have to use ipodder to download certain podcasts that are in bit-torrent format.  I would love to be able to have MC auto import these files as they are downloaded.

I would, however, like the ability to filter what may be imported.  Some of the software I use to download music will save unfinished downloads in the same folder where I store my music, but the file name has a consistant prefix as part of it.  It would be great if we could exclude files that start with a certain series of characters to keep these partial downloads, or other files we don't want imported, from being brought into the database.

Good work so far on 11.1 and I look forward to this development.

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 12:36:04 pm »

It would help to hear details on how people currently import.  Here's what I would want:

1.  Always watch these folders and import these filetypes
c:\music  mp3, ape, wma
c:\images jpg, bmp
c:\video avi, wmv, mpg

2.  But let me import the following folders manually (when I add a few files)
c:\images\2005\misc
c:\images\2005\tmp
c:\documents and settings, etc.

Number 1 above takes care of most of my needs, but number 2 would let me quickly import from a few files from a single location.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 01:02:33 pm »

I like the idea, but have one issue with it.

I have converted copies of my original library on my laptop.  I don't have room for everything, so I have excluded all 1 and 2 star files from my laptop; but i still have them listed and tagged in the library.  The reason for this, is when I am finally able to resynch with the original library, MANY of the 3 star and up files will have lots of changes.  Therefore, I need to manipulate the library to get them to reconnect with the original files

Sidenote:  I REALLY wish MC would NOT move files when I rename them.  There is already a way to move files.  Moving files as part of renaming causes me A LOT of greif. end sidenote.

If the auto import automatically clears broken links, it will eliminate all of my 1 and 2 star files from my library, which will not work for me.  At the very least, let me turn off 'clear broken links'.

Otherwise I like the idea.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 01:07:02 pm »

I REALLY wish MC would NOT move files when I rename them.  There is already a way to move files.  Moving files as part of renaming causes me A LOT of greif. end sidenote.
MC doesn't move them unless you've told it to.  Uncheck directories in Rename Files from Properties.  Start a new thread on this if that's not what you're doing.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 02:01:29 pm »

MC doesn't move them unless you've told it to.  Uncheck directories in Rename Files from Properties.  Start a new thread on this if that's not what you're doing.

Sorry, I guess I was incorrect about that.  It is when I find/replace on the filename that it moves the files.  I really wish it wouldn't do that, and instead it would just break the link (or at least offer that as a choice).

I'll start another post it you'd like to discuss it more.

lOth

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:37:06 pm »

We're thinking of replacing "Import" with this idea in MC 11.1:

In options, you could pick folders and file types.

Then, MC would automatically keep the library in step with these folders.  It would find new files and remove broken links.

The import tool would be removed.  It might be replaced by a "Synchronize Now" command for times when you needed it to work right away.

Let us know what you think and thanks for any feedback.

I've been waiting for this since MJ. Jim's idea (watch these folders/let me import from these ones) would suit my needs perfectly.

Just when I thought I would stop alpha testing 11.1 since the iPod feature works great now... tsss

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 02:39:36 pm »

Matt & Jimh

that is great idea, that would increase the serviceability of the program.

make it please !  :)

Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 03:46:15 pm »

I don't remember when I used the Import Media function last time besides bug testing. I guess it was 2003.

I use:

1. Right-click import in Windows Explorer
2. Right-click import in Drives and Devices inside MC
3. Drag and drop import from Windows Explorer

Usually my files are not located in the library folders before importing. I import from a separate partition and move the files with MC tools after tagging and analyzing them. This also helps to keep the library partition unfragmented.

In my opinion anything can be changed in the import function if it is an improvement for the other users. Just let me switch the auto-sync off and don't take away my 1, 2 and 3. (and the way to clean the deleted files library manually: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28266.msg196517#msg196517.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 04:36:07 pm »

Good idea but also leave an option to turn it off, like mentioned in this thread, I also don't want this feature at work but at home I do.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 05:47:55 pm »

I use Kings autoimport now and it works well.

I use it to add TV recordings that I record with some other scheduling software.  Then I can play them back via Theaterview in MC.

Only problem is when I delete the videos in my scheduling software, they stay in MC until I manually delete them from the DB within MC.

So for me personally the following would be really good.

1) MC auto import files placed into a folder(s)
2) Ability to turn ON/OFF autoimport
3) Ability to set the polling interval for the import (I currently poll every 30 minutes)
4) MC removes files from DB when thay are removed from monitored folder(s)
5) (bit off topic) The ability to delete files from folder/DB from within Theaterview, so once a TV recording has been watched it can be deleted.

Cheers
Richard

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 06:16:34 pm »

It is when I find/replace on the filename that it moves the files.

It will not do that if you uncheck the path field.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 06:22:35 pm »

It will not do that if you uncheck the path field.

Unfortunately, it is the path info that I want to change.  I have my converted files in one directoty, and my original lossless files in another.  i just want to change directory info, and have my library point to the lossless files.

Matt's explanation for this is that it will break the links.  Although i understand that, it IS what I want to do.  If I wanted to MOVE the files, I'd just use the move command.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 06:25:36 pm »

Unfortunately, it is the path info that I want to change.

well dude if you change the path the file will move

end of comments on this subject from my end
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ingram3480

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 06:41:57 pm »

1)  RE: FIND/REPLACE    to me these are text editing commands and not data/file management commands.  Having used MC for a year or so I (now) understand how they were implemented.  But I would ask for either 1) make data movement optional; or 2) consider adding warning text to point out the data movement "side effect"

2)  RE:  AUTOMATC Import      I would like this new feature but agree as others have pointed out that it should be optional.  Since I just completed ripping my CD collection I have now moved on to setting up my pictures in MC and would prefer to not manually import every time I unload new pictures from my digital camera.

Thx

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 06:49:36 pm »

well dude if you change the path the file will move

Yes, it does.  But I don't want it to.  I want to tell MC to point my library to another location, not move files.  I have 2 versions of my music.  One lossy, one lossless.  I make changes to the library on my laptop while listening to the lossy files.  I want these changes to be reflected in the lossless files as well.  Otherwise I'll have to manage 2 libraries - no thanks.

If I want to move files I'll use the "Move Disc File..." function.  It's easy to get to, and meant to move files.  Find/replace is simply a way to easily change lots of information at once, like clearing the ñ character to n, or the like.  It should not move files.  If it wants to move a file, I really want it to at least ask me first.

end of comments on this subject from my end

Okay.

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 07:28:19 pm »

I don't think I'd use an "auto import" function myself, but think it's a good feature for MC to have.  Just make sure that the user can EASILY stay in control of the import process.  Perhaps you'd consider an on/off button or an option to enable a notification dialog box so the user could accept or decline the import.

I like the "Synchronize Now" idea.  I suppose this could be entirely separate from the "auto import" function, but then you might also want to consider letting the user select arbitrary folders in the "auto" list and importing immediately from this subset of folders.

Whatever you do, please don't get rid of the right click method of importing from Windows Explorer or the left pane as well as drag-and-drop from Explorer.  This is what I use 99% of the time I need to import.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 07:33:58 pm »

Yes, it does. But I don't want it to. I want to tell MC to point my library to another location, not move files. I have 2 versions of my music. One lossy, one lossless. I make changes to the library on my laptop while listening to the lossy files. I want these changes to be reflected in the lossless files as well. Otherwise I'll have to manage 2 libraries - no thanks.

If I want to move files I'll use the "Move Disc File..." function. It's easy to get to, and meant to move files. Find/replace is simply a way to easily change lots of information at once, like clearing the ñ character to n, or the like. It should not move files. If it wants to move a file, I really want it to at least ask me first

Find and Replace is a good tool for moving files. It is the only tool that can move files by changing a part of the filename path.

It just needs a new tick box: "Don't touch the files. Perform the filename changes only in the library." (It should show a warning before running the tool in this mode.)

I have done it often, but every time I do it I must first change the base folder name outside MC for hiding the files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 07:49:47 pm »

This would be a great addition to the functionality.  I offer the following suggestion:

Allow the user to set the synchronize frequency manually for each folder (or group of folders).  The frequency could also be "never" or "now" (though the "now" might probably be it's own function).  This would help for two reasons:  1) it gives the user the abilty to control demand on the CPU (assuming it's noticeable) and 2) it gives the user the abilty to synchronize devices that aren't always attached (e.g. MP3 players).

Though now that I've written it, I'd probably want to synchronize devices that aren't always attached in the other direction.  So this make me think it would be more elegant if all this was exposed as a "scheduled tasks" interface.  Perhaps just the start would be the function of folder watches.  But it could then be extended to include other functions such as times synchronizations.

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 07:59:28 pm »

I don't remember when I used the Import Media function last time besides bug testing. I guess it was 2003.

I use:

1. Right-click import in Windows Explorer
2. Right-click import in Drives and Devices inside MC
3. Drag and drop import from Windows Explorer

Usually my files are not located in the library folders before importing. I import from a separate partition and move the files with MC tools after tagging and analyzing them. This also helps to keep the library partition unfragmented.

In my opinion anything can be changed in the import function if it is an improvement for the other users. Just let me switch the auto-sync off and don't take away my 1, 2 and 3. (and the way to clean the deleted files library manually: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28266.msg196517#msg196517.)

These are the exact methods that I currently use for importing and echo Alex's opinion on being able to disable autosyncing. 
Nice job of documenting this Alex!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 08:01:12 pm »

I would like to see the import functionality whether it is auto or not to include 'rename file from properties'  and 'analyze audio'feature as I allways have to do this after words.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 09:17:17 pm »

Personally, I would not want to lose the import tool.  Auto-import might be usefull for me, but being able to manually import entire directory trees is needed, as well as importing explicit file lists.  I agree entirely with Alex B.

I don't use 'fix or remove broken links' because of the 'remove' part.  Fixing is a good thing, but also removing all "broken" links at the same time is a very bad thing for me.  Automatic Importing, Automatic fixing broken links, and rAutomatic emoving broken links should be three separately-selectable options.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 09:29:30 pm »

I like the idea as Jim outlined.
I would not want to have to configure each directory/subdirectory for auto or manual, frequency, etc.
Just one overall "Auto" with an exception list.

For me it would be D:\Music
Only mp3, mpc, ape, apl files

Don't import from D:\Music\Ape & Cue

Fix broken links is useful during auto import, remove though, I'm not sure of. For me, fine. For others it may be a problem.

cattani

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Come to Black Sea !!! Constanta !!!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2005, 04:31:25 am »

very good ideea ! do it !
Fii optimist si asteapta imposibilul !!!

Sartre

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2005, 04:43:56 am »

Absolutely a much needed feature.

Make sure there's a manual scan button you can add to the toolbar. While you're at it, add the missing Library Browser button too.  ;D

lOth

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2005, 04:59:03 am »

just thought about something: at the end of a manual import right now, when the import is done and you click 'OK' on the dialog that lets you know how many files were imported, how many were removed, and how many broken links were fixed, MC jumps to a recently imported smartlist. As much as I'd like to see the auto-import added I wouldn't want this feature to go away as it comes handy to review these recently imported files and make sure they are properly tagged and send them to whatever playlist you want.

Auto-import would be great, but I guess one of the possible drawback if it's a totally invisible background process is a great tag mess.

Maybe a flashing link to 'recently imported' in the AW after auto-import would be a reasonable solution?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 05:02:37 am »

Sounds good...
I'd like a quick disable feature though, incase I was doing
something resource intensive etc.

Also I think also it may require an option where by it
won't activate whilst playing video full screen,
same as the screensaver, as this may give lower spec machines
like mine a headache...

Infact maybe it should measure system activity so that it only comes
in when resource usage is low?

lOth

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 06:27:32 am »

Infact maybe it should measure system activity so that it only comes
in when resource usage is low?

Yes, like 'import only when computer is idle'.

Other possible auto-import options 'import at start-up', 'import every x hours/days', 'import everyday at'

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2005, 07:09:48 am »

Yes, good ideas!

And also include an import log file to trace what has been done, just in case...

I also would like to import a subset (to be defined)  of the main library to my notebook or any other device in an easy way (may be in conjunction with Syncronize Now). Streaming media is good, but with all those hard disks getting larger and larger and cheaper and cheaper, it may be easier to copy a whole library or a subset of it to another device.

Example:
Import into C:\Media\Images, .jpg, .png, local
Import into C:\Media\Master\Images\, .jpg, .png, from \\mymasterpc\media\Images

The current implementation (via Handheld) is not satisfying as it is too slow and has problems with duplicate names (especially for image files).

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2005, 10:37:24 am »

It would help to hear details on how people currently import.  Here's what I would want:

1.  Always watch these folders and import these filetypes
c:\music  mp3, ape, wma
c:\images jpg, bmp
c:\video avi, wmv, mpg

2.  But let me import the following folders manually (when I add a few files)
c:\images\2005\misc
c:\images\2005\tmp
c:\documents and settings, etc.

This is consistent with how I import and what I would like to see. I also use the manual shell integration 'right click import' often. Like others a switch to disable auto import would be key.

Thanks

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2005, 09:49:03 am »

I import from network drive. I tag/rename on local computer before i transfer to the server.

I would like to auto-import NEW audio files from m:\ and auto-analyze audio in a background process.

And not remove broken links, just look for new files and add them to the library.

If this could be done on a networked drive without slowing the system down I would like to "watch folder" all the time.

But i would like to keep the import tool we have today so i can do major improvemnts and cleenups of the database.

Auto-import should be an improvement to the import tool, and not a replacement.

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2005, 10:36:29 am »

Good idea, but we should also have the option not to use it and do it manually.

Thanks.

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2005, 04:00:19 pm »

1) Very good idea. This will be very important improvement, as long as users will have control over it.
2)

I would, however, like the ability to filter what may be imported.  Some of the software I use to download music will save unfinished downloads in the same folder where I store my music, but the file name has a consistant prefix as part of it.  It would be great if we could exclude files that start with a certain series of characters to keep these partial downloads, or other files we don't want imported, from being brought into the database.

Same here. I use Soulseek and DC++ to download files, and they prefix unfinished downloads with ~INCOMPLETE (in Soulseek case) or add some random characters after .[file_extention] in DC++ case, much like MC's very own Download Manager (Incomplete). Would be a good idea to consider this.

3) I would like to see the "Import " feature connected with "Rename from Properties" and "Fill Properties from File Name" (again, with the option to disable the connection)

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2005, 04:13:52 am »

3) I would like to see the "Import " feature connected with "Rename from Properties" and "Fill Properties from File Name" (again, with the option to disable the connection)

I think this is key so i can drag a file to the watched folder and then the file could be renamed automatically with tag changes.

SuperRabbit0

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2005, 08:46:32 pm »

It would have no use for me.

I also always rip or download files to a "temporary" directory and clean up all tags before I use MC to move the files to my music drive.

I would hate to lose the control of ensuring I have cleaned all relevant files at the time I want to.  ie->  I want files to import only when I tell them to. 

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2005, 06:26:24 am »

It would have no use for me.

I also always rip or download files to a "temporary" directory and clean up all tags before I use MC to move the files to my music drive.

I would hate to lose the control of ensuring I have cleaned all relevant files at the time I want to.  ie->  I want files to import only when I tell them to. 

I do this too, but I still want this feature.
Just don't tell MC to automatically import from your temp file.
e.g., c:/temp <- leave it alone
c:/music <- watch and import

when you are done tagging, move the finished stuff to the final folder and let MC take care of the importing.

Marty3d

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2005, 11:13:28 am »

If MC would import automatically, could one perhaps ask for MC to auto-set the cover art as well (folder.jpg and other variations)? Otherwise, you still have to do that manually, which could cause some frustration, for me at least. Now MC can set folder.jpg automatically for music files, but not for video.

Steps before auto-import feature:
1. Import files, probably with right-click in windows explorer
2. enter MC and find the imported file(s)
3. set cover art

Steps after auto-import feature:
1. waiting for MC to auto-import
2. enter MC and find the imported file(s)
3. set cover art

See? No difference...

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2005, 12:46:37 pm »

It would find new files and remove broken links.

Keep in mind that some of us use removable drives for media.
Wouldn't want it to remove broken links just cuz a drive wasn't plugged in or a usb hub went haywire.
As long as there was a "729 broken links removed <accept><cancel>" prompt it would be ok.

modelmaker

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2005, 04:32:04 pm »

I would like to see this in addition to, not to replace the current options.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2005, 12:43:36 am »

I will not be using an auto-import of any description, So would strongly suggest you keep it as an option. I prefer to remain in control of what gets imported into the library.

i have a To-Listen folder where all new stuff is added to for AA & rating. Once that's done, if i like an album, it gets dragged (within MC) to the appropriate genre folder. I then import it into MC by right clicking its folder in MC's tree view. Longwinded ? maybe but it's explicit & deliberate steps. I prefer to let MC handle the way i view and rely on explorer to do the organisation.

I am hoping you improve dragging within the tree to what is was like in 10.0. It was very intuitive and easy to use then. 11.0 broke it where a drag in the tree results in the scroll bars moving too quickly such that i miss my destination every time if the desination is beyond what the screen can display. To understand what i mean install 10.0 and try the above and compare with 11.0.

Find & Replace is not a solution here as i keep all album art & misc album info in the album folder themselves and not in a central location. I see an album folder as containing everything relating to that album. Find & Replace only works with media files and ignores the rest.

I found a workaround for it but it only works for single folders. The only way to move several folders is by dragging their root folder vertically either up or down in the tree. Then you have to do it in small steps as once the destination is off the screen the fast scroll results in missing the target every time.

The fix broken links has been broken since 11.0 as it removes any cue files that have been imported previously. Since imported cue items are treated as missing !!!

Syncing can be quite useful with handheld devices.
Any synchro functions are currently delegated to Syncback, but this is strictly for backup purposes.

Do you plan to offer similar functionality ?

I think mixing sync & import is dangerous and confusing. They are not the same. Each has their place.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2005, 07:04:19 am »

I prefer if your going to display a message when it is done, that it pops up for maybe 30 seconds and then goes away. because if you have a large amount of files and you dismiss the pop up window it takes another 5 Min's before MC becomes responsive
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2005, 08:07:28 am »

The more I think about it, the more I think it should be the same as WMP watch folders or not done at all.

I don't want to spend lots of time on options and do not want image files, etc imported.
If MC found the files I normally import now and simply added them as would have happened using the manual Import Media, cool.

I don't need things renamed, moved, searches for cover art (with seperate options for what and where they are named), etc.

If it isn't going to be simpler, why bother?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2005, 01:31:51 pm »

If it isn't going to be simpler, why bother?

Staples Has An Easy Button.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2005, 03:30:47 pm »

Getting rid of the import scares me actually... The 10.0 import was much more customizable.

I keep 300+ gb of media files on a central server.  With v10, I could just add new files without having to rescan the current library and compare it to what's out there (if you remember, import and update were separate features... I could import new files all the time, but run update periodically.) Unchecking some options for Import makes this somewhat possible stilll.

Import on 11 just runs awfully slow on a network connection.  So I have to import files a folder or two at a time.....  If you took away the import feature, I'd have to have "watch folders" set to my remote server, and unless you all have a way to query a remote SMB share quickly, it's gonna run constantly.

Watch folders are great, but isn't there already a plugin for that? Maybe you can design this as a plugin? I'm all for plugins... keep the main program lean, use plugins to expand the features. 

Thanks for listening.

Me fail english? That's unpossible!

ichkriegediekriese

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2005, 03:55:45 pm »

mhh............

............actually a good idea.
But how long will it take MC to update the info of 50GB or a few thousand files?

What about an option that lets the user choose if he wants to import files automatically or the "old fashioned way" - I thin that would be the best alternative  ;D

just ideas..

greetz

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2005, 12:48:05 am »

yeh what i would like is to have the manual import relegated to the "advanced library tools" tree.  this would take away from confusion.  then have the automatic import configurable under your options.  of course, some sort of button or checkmarked item to turn the auto import on and off would be nice and convenient too.

the reason autoimport would succeed is mostly because of convenience.  the average joe end user loves convenience, and this certainly takes care of that aspect.  in fact i was initially horrified when i converted from winamp 5 to mc11 and i had to manually import all the time.  and it would definitely need to be optimized.... maybe auto-import folders at a staggered interval or something... otherwise my poor really fast computer would suffer, and it doesn't want that :).
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2005, 01:20:00 am »

If you manage to do it the way the Picasa watch folder function works, this would be a good idea. Just make sure that network folders are being supported and that no user interaction is needed one the process is finished. Many of us have MC silently running in the background with NetRemote and Girder taking controlling the program. Any additional user interaction following a scan of the watched folders would be unhelpful. Also please allow a silent mode where the user does not see that a scan is happening.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up