INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lookee what I found  (Read 2421 times)

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
Lookee what I found
« on: September 26, 2002, 05:48:32 pm »

8)This is for those die-hards that still do the stuff thats SUPPOSED to be illegal(hint-hint) take a look. Makes for some very interesting, and thought provoking, reading.
http://www.iht.com/articles/71994.htm
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lookee what I found
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 06:54:04 pm »

Terry,
It is illegal.  It's no different than someone stealing our software.

Jim

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 09:23:01 pm »

Though I am not really approving of filesharing services I think the very gall of puffy standing there with a 6 figure value diamond necklace on pleading poverty due to loss of sales and asking us to 'put ourselves in his shoes' is simply too much !!

Could I afford his shoes ??
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

NY40Male

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 09:30:34 pm »

You Own Shoes?....You Have More Money Than Me Then...Gotta Extra Pair Laying Around I Can Have?

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2002, 10:48:41 pm »

Now I understand the 'tenderfoot' in the profiles :p
HTPC Front ends  

sekim

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 12:46:08 am »

It may be illegal, but so is anti-trust violations. Oooops, I forgot, if your a huge corporation , or multi-millionaire football player (thug), the rules for the rest of us just don't apply.

I don't swap. Period. But to have these people say this kind of **** is ridiculous. The 'Industry' needs to pull their heads out and take a look around. Instead of embracing something that could have made them even fatter pocketbooks, they chose to fight. Now people are fighting back with their lack of buying cds, etc. Oh it's all Napsters fault (insert alligator tears). Yeah right.

And the other interesting thing mentioned, lack of decent new music, or artists'. Hand picked one hit wonders. Make a fortune, next. This might appeal to kids. But for the rest of us that give junior money for  this, it bites. Most of my cd purchases, recently, have been from artists' that are on the back burner now.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 02:53:24 am »

$16.95 for a CD?  That's just plain nuts!  If CD's were sold at a more realistic price, let's say $9.95, a lot more would be sold.

As far as great new artists are concerned, where is the next Elvis Presley, Patsy Cline, Rosemary Clooney, Dave Bruebeck, Louie Armstrong, Glenn Miller, etc? ?

The above people all did a wonderful job with real instruments & their music lives on.

Many musicians today relay on electronics to make up for a lack of talent!  There is nothing wrong with electronics, but a lot of the musicians today all sound alike.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2002, 04:21:07 am »

Doc, While I do agree with you, you have to ask yourself would they expand sales by 169.5% at 9.95 instead of 16.95 ?? thats what they would need to do to make the same turnover, this is without taking anything inot consideration for unit costs / distribution / etc...

I would say with physical media cost and distribution / retailers etc they would probably need to sell expand sales by greater than 200% simply to make the same profits...

For its exactly this reason that digital distribution can appeal...  
HTPC Front ends  

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2002, 05:29:39 am »

Your statement about making the "same" profits is interesting.  Hardly anyone is making the "Same" profit they did a year ago.  The econnomy simply isn't there yet.  One of the publics main gripes about the recording industry is their rediculous amount of profits and the relatively less money made by the actual artists  (Something of which the record industry doesn't freely publish)!  I really have little simpathy for the recording industry and their "Drop in profits" because of "File sharing".  I don't believe that file sharing is the only thing effecting their profits.  I agree that a $9.95 CD will sell better that a $16.95 (+) DC.  More profits can be realized by embracing the internet, and not fighting it.
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2002, 05:58:22 am »

Sure there plenty in the economy that is not going well but that effects sales at all price points, what you are suggesting is that they volenteer to reduce thier profit for altruistic rather than sheer $$ reasons.. This is extreemly unlikely as basically why ?? to give us music consumers a better deal ?? thats not thier job, its an industry, and as such its designed to make money... in fact it is thier obligation to thier shareholders that they try and make as much of it as possible and extract every last red cent they can...

The fact that they are not comfortable with digital music has a lot to do with the attitudes of digital music consumers... if they offered albums at 9.99 do you think people would stop p2p'ing them ?? at what price point would they stop ?? I would estimate that its at near 0 values... So now we are asking an industry to basically give us its product 9anything less than $3 or 4 per CD is not possible with todays industry) and if they dont we are suggesting what ?? We will simply steal it instead...

I am not over sympathetic for the music industry but they are not looking at a rosy future unless they solve some very tough issues about how to add value to a product that is becoming valueless in a digital economy...
HTPC Front ends  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2002, 07:10:57 am »

The record labels are moving toward digital distribution.  They still don't do it the way many people expect, but emusic, for example, comes fairly close.  They are owned by Vivendi Universal.

Bertelsmann was trying (with Napster) but failed.

Interestingly, the managing directors of both companies left this last year, in part because the Internet efforts were doing so badly.

These are enormous companies, moving at a glacial pace.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2002, 08:47:30 am »

I remember back in high school... I was the only one with a dual-cassette deck.  I taped music off the radio, off of friends' records and tapes, and made mix tapes, which I then distributed to my friends.  I even made some mixes for my school to use during rallies, shows, events, etc.  I wonder if the RIAA would consider that piracy.  After all, that's esentially what p2p is all about, albeit on a global-wide scale rather than a school-wide scale.  But aside from the scale, it's the same darn thing; friends sharing music.

I can't believe the "in our shoes" line coming from a guy that has a line of shoes.  Free advertisement rules, eh sean?

Oh yeah, and someone should tell these artists that there's a way out there for people to get a LOT of free music that isn't even being pursued!  I mean, almost every time I turn my radio on, there's MUSIC coming out of it!  FREE!!    ::)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2002, 10:34:28 am »

If they had spend on a digital distribution sheme the money they spent against Napster and on stupid genial ideas against p2p,Kazaa and others would be today or very underground or would not have exist.

If they had put out cds with extra songs,mono\stereo version as they do now AFTER  15  YEARS AND TO MAKE YOU BUY THE CD AGAIN.So if they had put this kind of stuff instead of ADD cds sounding not better than cassettes at over-price,you may take care about what they say.

But..............
So ...............

Do not see downloading Sting songs on 128 kps mp3 as stealing.
You can steal a cd in a shop instead of paying it
You can steal a software instead of paying it

But you cannot steal something who is not in sale....

Allmost 10 years after the 'internet boom',right now in my chair in front of my computer,i can buy a house,a car,a ticket plane,book concerts,hotels,take an insurance ect. ect. ect.

But i cannot buy digital music!!! In digital age,i can buy yogourts from my super-market on line,but no music!!!!
No pity for idiots ,they get what they deserve.

I do not want to spend $18 on the last Sting cd.But i am ready to spend less -much less- on a mp3 version.
But none after so many years.
If,on the top of it you tell me that the last Sting is protected,in this case Kazaa gives me justice..

Anyway the very program at the heart of 'Fastrack' can work alone.
They can close Kazaa  and the other programs using 'Fastrack',people having 'Fastrack" on they computer still have the p2p system and they can use it to share,Kazaa closed or not.

And there is a new generation of p2p allready here.
Anonymous connection and more.

I use Emusic since a long time.But i would not use it as a way to show labels start to move.

Emusic was started by the son of the foundator of Elektra.He,unlike the majors,understood what digital music can give to indee labels and musiciens .
he was know as a men of quality and had trust from many labels and artists.

When the 'full of air' universal monster came,his boos -the french- brought anything having a link with internet

Spent billions dollars who today are worth 100\150 times less.
Now they sell anything.If you can say who will be the boos of Emusic and mp3.com in one year,or less ,from today...tell me.
Universal needs money more than any of us here,so they put some albums on Emusic.Not bad ,i agree.

I'am sure that many people took 3 months at Emusic when they saw the universal stuff coming.Not new stuff,but good one.
Good to them they took only 3 months,because from the start and until today the project was\is to put 1000 albums on Emusic.Period
I still have to learn that they plan to put more

Anyway,i 'steal' i make all people around me to 'steal.
Not only mp3 but APE.
If i give sleepless to ir..something and madona ,sting and others i really feel that i did something of my poor life

$9,99 a cd on mp3 is a good raison to use p2p.
They have to put unllimited download at cheap price.One week,one month,3,6 months ,one year.
Numbers would make the money to them

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2002, 10:50:56 am »

Sorry, but I'm going to close this.  

Let's hope that legal digital distribution will grow into something that works for both buyers and sellers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up