INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipod crashing 11.1.90  (Read 1593 times)

fruggeri

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
ipod crashing 11.1.90
« on: December 28, 2005, 05:43:15 pm »

I've got a 2nd generation 10 gig ipod, and after Media Center detects it, MC immediately crashes. I've tried redetecting devices, but it still happens. It also crashes in safe mode.

Any suggestions?

----------------
Media Center Registered 11.1.90 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3191 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1572 MB, Free - 1022 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive K:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive K: PIONEER  DVD RW  DVR-108    Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ipod crashing 11.1.90
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 06:52:47 pm »

Try renaming the itunesdb file on the device.  You'll need to make sure Explorer is showing hidden and system files to see it.

If the ipod works after that, could you email a copy of it to matt @ jriver.com?

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

justin@fathoms.org

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 07:29:32 pm »

I am having a similar problem. 

My ipod (4G clickwheel 40GB) worked fine with the ipod plug in for MC 9...then when i upgraded to 10.0  i never got it working.  would crash MC whenever i tried to access the device or sync it  (not when it was connected)

I started using iTunes again.  finally i got tired of itunes  (poor and very limited program and i need tivo integration too).....thought mc 11 might have solved the problem.  I'm getting the same thing now....here's what happens:

if Mc is running and i plug in the ipod, it recognizes it w/o difficulty.  when i try to do anything with it (click on the device icon, pull the handheld player up in the action window etc)...i get a blank error dialog box  (big red X) with no message in it.  MC does not crash....but it will do nothing with syncing the ipod

if the ipod is connected when MC is launched, MC creates a C++ runtime error (no specified error message) and quits.

I do have one question for clarification....it appears that there is no plugin required for ipods in version 10 and 11?  i haven't found one if there is....

any ideas

(also using windows xP sP2)

-Justin

fruggeri

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 08:07:51 pm »

Nope - no luck.

btw - the error I am getting contains this:
AppName: media center.exe    AppVer: 11.1.90.0    ModName: hh_portable.dll
ModVer: 1.0.0.0    Offset: 000079e4

justin@fathoms.org

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 09:10:48 pm »

i solved my issue!!!

deleted the itunesdb file from the ipod and rei-initialized the ipod and all is well...not sure i had to re-initialize (erase) the ipod...but i was rebilding a system of dynamic playlists to sync anyway, so it made sense to.  now all is working!

fruggeri

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 02:46:28 am »

How did you get media center to the point where you could re-initialize the ipod? Whenever MC detects the ipod it immediately crashes for me. I don't have the opportunity to re-initialize it.

Or did you use the ipod software from apple to do this?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:40:10 am »

You need to use Windows explorer and browse to the drive letter that identifies your ipod.  Delete the itunesdb file that way.
Then start up MC.

fruggeri

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 12:29:10 pm »

Ok, did that - still no luck. Deleted the itunesdb through explorer, launched MC and it still crashes at the point where it needs to detect the ipod.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 12:51:02 pm »

In options/handheld try the option for redecting devices.

fruggeri

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 01:30:40 pm »

Ok, here's what I've tried: (With the ipod disconnected, because if the ipod is connected, I never get the opportunity to get to the options menu as MC crashes).

1. Launch MC
2. Go to options/redetect devices
3. Plug in ipod
4. I accept the message that says "Media Center has detected a new device attached to your machine: Apple iPod. Do you want MC to recognize this device as a portable media player?"
5. I'm back in the options menu, with the Apple iPod showing as the selected player. (The sync is in "Manual Mode". No advanced Options are selected.
6. I Click ok
7. MC Crashes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up