INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cuesheets & Performer  (Read 4986 times)

indybrett

• Recent member
Cuesheets & Performer
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:40:19 am »

I can only get MC 11 to display the artist/performer info if it is in the cuesheet for each title like this:

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "A Perfect Circle"   
    TITLE "The Hollow"

EAC doesn't create cuesheets this way.  It only puts one entry for the performer at the beginning of the cuesheet like this:

REM GENRE Alternative Metal
REM DATE 2004
REM DISCID 770B500C
REM COMMENT ExactAudioCopy v0.95b3
PERFORMER "A Perfect Circle"
TITLE "eMOTIVe"

Is there a way to get this to work properly without manually editing the cuesheets?   Either get MC to properly recognize the EAC method, or change the way EAC creates the cuesheets?

I want to continue to rip with EAC. 

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Cuesheets & Performer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:46:43 am »

The PERFORMER at the top of the cuesheet is what is known as the Album Artist in MC.

You would need to enter that in manually into MC at this time. Just select all imported tracks and enter in via the Action Window.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 12:03:22 pm »

Hmmm.....

Don't think I want to manually do that 1000+ times  (actually a bit less if I do an entire artist at once).  I tried editing the view to show the Album Artist info, hoping that it would have read that and filled it in automagically.

Sigh....

I suppose I could grep the cue files to add the data with a script.  Either way, it's gonna be a lot of manual labor.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 12:18:06 pm »

Do your folder or file names contain the performer name? MC can easily fill library fields from the filename paths.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 12:19:28 pm »

It's gonna be manual labour entering 1000 cue files into MC anyways. I'm pushing 900 almost atm.

Even if you edit the cue file to indicate the Album Artist,  MC will ignore it, barring a last minute update. But everything else will be imported.

If you are going to be importing a lot of CUE files, i suggest you search the forums for CUE. It's doable with determination and being forewarned.. You need to get a workflow sorted out first.

I'm quite happy with the result.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 12:45:00 pm »

The PERFORMER at the top of the cuesheet is what is known as the Album Artist in MC.

You would need to enter that in manually into MC at this time. Just select all imported tracks and enter in via the Action Window.
Too bad it doesn't read the PERFORMER info and automatically update the Album Artist info with that data :(

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 12:57:16 pm »

I wonder why you don't have the performer lines for each track. My EAC makes cue sheets like this and MC has no difficulties with filling the Artist field:

REM GENRE "Melodic, Neapolitan, Progressive"
REM DATE 1989
REM DISCID 70086A08
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.95b3"
PERFORMER "Rick Wakeman & Mario Fasciano"
TITLE "Black Knights at the Court of Ferdinand IV"
FILE "Rick Wakeman & Mario Fasciano - Black Knights at the Court of Ferdinand IV.ape" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Evuje'"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Favola"
    INDEX 00 05:05:62
    INDEX 01 05:08:45
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Umberto II"
    INDEX 00 11:08:62
    INDEX 01 11:11:45

... etc 
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 01:07:01 pm »

Too bad it doesn't read the PERFORMER info and automatically update the Album Artist info with that data :(

MC fills only the Artist, Album, Name and Track number fields from the cue files. It gets the Genre and Year info from the main audio file if it has those tags.

As I said, you may be able to fill the Artist field from the folder or file name. E.g. if your folder structure is Artist/Album/ MC can take the Artist name from there. If you don't like to refill the Album field you can temporally fill some other field with that part of the path. (Tools > Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 01:17:59 pm »

If you follow Alex B's suggestion about getting the Album artist from the folder name, and populate the large mp3 (or other) Album Artist tag with it.

I wonder when you import the cue file, will it have the Album Artist info as well ?

I've entered it in manually for so long it's become second nature now. Besides if you have a lot of VA albums you would be doing this manually anyway.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 04:03:46 pm »

I wonder why you don't have the performer lines for each track. My EAC makes cue sheets like this and MC has no difficulties with filling the Artist field:

I wonder that too.  Somebody on Hydrogen Audio said the same thing.  Their cuesheets from EAC put the PERFORMER info after every track, yet mine does not. 

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 04:40:43 pm »

OK, I know what the deal is.  EAC is not the problem.  EAC does include the performer data:

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Enter Sandman"
    PERFORMER "Metallica"
    ISRC 000000000000
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:00:33

After I use Replaygain via Foobar v0.9 b13, it strips the data out of the CUE, and it looks like this:

RACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Enter Sandman"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -5.52 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.999969

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 06:48:04 pm »

OK, I know what the deal is. EAC is not the problem. EAC does include the performer data:

TRACK 01 AUDIO
 TITLE "Enter Sandman"
 PERFORMER "Metallica"
 ISRC 000000000000

After I use Replaygain via Foobar v0.9 b13, it strips the data out of the CUE, and it looks like this:

RACK 01 AUDIO
 TITLE "Enter Sandman"
 REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -5.52 dB
 REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.999969

Actually I have noticed that too. Just didn't remember it now. Since foobar "spoiled" your cue files, it would be fair to ask it to fix them back. fb 0.9 cannot do that, but 0.83 can. You may need the special installer (I don't know if the standard installer has the cue module.)

Here is how:
1. Load the cue files to a foobar playlist
2. Select all > Right-click > Masstagger > Edit tags > Actions to perform - Add > Copy value... > Source: Artist, Destination: Comment > Run.

That's all. foobar 0.83 will recreate the performer lines without altering the cue files otherwise (it does not write the Comment field to the files or remove the replay gain lines).

After that you can import the CUE files to MC.

As hit_ny said MC has its own way to handle cue tracks. You may want to search for CUE by user hit_ny or my user name. You should set the message age to start from about two years ago. And of course we'll try to help you if you have further questions.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 12:30:06 am »

You don't need a PERFORMER for each line if its a single artist album.

Can't remember of hand, but i think MC did not have a problem with this.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 07:03:58 am »

You don't need a PERFORMER for each line if its a single artist album.

Can't remember of hand, but i think MC did not have a problem with this.

I think MC needs the PERFORMER lines for each track. I tried this quickly with an ape & cue archive, but I doubt other file formats would be any different. Tagging the main file with Artist info does not help.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 08:41:18 am »

My solution for having compatibilty with both Foobar 2000 & MC is this:

1. Rip to image & cue
2. Embed the cue with Foobar2000's CUESHEET tag
3. Then run Replaygain

If it's done this way, FB2K will only modify the embedded cuesheet, and leaves the external/original cuesheet alone, so that it will still work with MC.  MC ignores the embedded cuesheet.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 08:56:08 am »

That depends which your primary player you choose to play CUE albums. As you described it, it's FB2K.

MC only uses the cue file during import after that it's left alone and any changes take place in the library only.

Since i have eveything else under MC, and it can finally understand CUE i imported those into MC as well. FB2K is just to keep track of how many cue cds there are, as a backup check mostly.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 09:27:03 am »

The method I describe works with both players.  FB2K will modify/read the embedded cuesheet, and will read the gain info from that.  Sinve it leave the original cuesheet un-altered, that cuesheet will work fine with MC.  Any changes MC makes will be saved to the library.  There really should never be changes made to the cuesheet.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 09:46:43 am »

There really should never be changes made to the cuesheet.
What about typo's or additions wrt to artist & name that are required after import ?

The good thing with FB2K, is that any corrections can be saved to the cue file directly instead of just in the library like with MC.

PLs understnad i'm not talking about adding extra tag nfo to the cue file, just corrections like artist, name etc.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 09:51:54 am »

Oh, yeah corrections are no biggie.  I just do those manually in the cuesheet and then re-import it.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 10:11:26 am »

Re-import into MC ?

wouldn't you lose AA & ratings etc.

Besides its so much easier to do these things in MC than maually. All thats required is to  able to save those changes back to the cue sheet. So there is consistancy between the source and what is in MC. As it stands there is a gap between the two. Usually i prefer to save any changes (artist, album, name etc) back to the files they come from.

CUE is something that needs to be improved on in v12.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 10:33:50 am »

Yeah...

I just ran into another problem.  When I import from my music directory, it used to skip over files that were already in the library.  That doesn't seem to work with cuesheets.  It imports them again and gives me duplicates.

I can work around that I suppose.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 10:41:11 am »

Yeah...

I just ran into another problem. When I import from my music directory, it used to skip over files that were already in the library. That doesn't seem to work with cuesheets. It imports them again and gives me duplicates.

I can work around that I suppose.

That's one of the things hit_ny and I meant. The database has no connection to the cue file after importing so it has no means to handle a dublicate import. MC makes virtual track entries and uses the "Playback Range" field for finding the linked passage.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 10:48:02 am »

Crap.   I didn't really understand that before. 

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 07:11:18 am »

Well, I messed around with APE and APL files.  That at least allows me to use lossless images with both FB2K and MC.  The only issue I would have is hardware support.  I was looking to get a Squeezebox, so I need to keep everything in FLAC format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up