INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few 11.1 ideas for discussion  (Read 1795 times)

JONCAT

A few 11.1 ideas for discussion
« on: January 09, 2006, 08:18:45 pm »

Couple of observations:

Since Tiles aren't configurable (the text size) how about allow the bottom info window (usually displays data size & # of files I think) to display info on what is highlighted and then eventually default back to previous info. I have to use a larger DPI and font for my monitor but also if you have album titles that are something like:

Joe Bob McGovern Presents.....

and ten albums like this with the same cover, you have to have the file info pane at bottom displayed. I find my workflow often interrupted in other cases where I am just not sure if it's...CD1 or CD2 which comes at the very end and may have the same cover.

In the same light, the action window is great but if your in Tiles mode w/ the Tree minimized (and I might add it's a PAIN to max/min with those tiny tabs in certain skins - are there hot keys!?) you end up having to max the tree. Maybe a pop-up action window???

I love the new layout but I'm hoping to hear if others find their workflow interupted. Now, I have heard the claim that MC is not for burning, but a media tool this powerful...there's no way around it, it's an integral part of MC's functionality IMO untils cd's are akin to 8-track.

So how about:

1. pop-up action window
2. some kind of sensor field around the tabs to max/min panes
3. Customize ability of the bottom info bar's content (or just display Artist - Album selected)

Would anyone be not so interested, interested, or very interested in seeing these tested in 11.1 at some point?

Dr. C

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: A few 11.1 ideas for discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:51:33 pm »

I agree that the full name of a selected tile should be shown somewhere. Perhaps up in the main top info area. If something is playing, then the currently selected info could auto time out and revert to show what's playing.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:06:40 pm »

They had a pop up action window at one point in time but opted for the docked version which I like.  I just wish it was more customizable in terms of size, what is shown, and when it changes. 

Oops, I guess I don't' really like it that much, then.  Probably because all of my media is catalogued and thus the action windows is always in the way for me.  For others who are still cataloging their media, I'm sure its great.  I think vertical split views would be the compromise for those who don't use it often.  I would like to see the playing now view on the left or right hand side.  Think about how perfect that would be.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:32:24 am »

Playing Now on left or right isn't a bad idea, I love the new file list at bottom but feel that Tiles mode just provides very little viewing space; it feels cramped still with cut off words and unused space. However, this is mostly when browsing a large amount of titles. Once I get into Tiles (Artist>Albums) it is more usable. MC needs to remember exactly how each Tile section is set up e.g. you could have  the File list at bottom minimized for Genre & Artist but when you get into Albums, it's there where you'll actually use it. Same with back & forward functions, they should remember these edits done to the views not just changes in what scheme or tiles you were viewing.

I am still trying to push for a tab to minimize the top portion of MC and maybe reduce to a very thin display at top with just icons, similar to an F11 in a web browser.

I see MC moving into a stage where the user will be able to browse, play, and burn without having to revert to different schemes or maximize panes - of course we will always use and need them, but things are slowly becoming more concise and refined.

Dr. C

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 03:39:26 pm »

I am still trying to push for a tab to minimize the top portion of MC and maybe reduce to a very thin display at top with just icons, similar to an F11 in a web browser.

Dr. C

Keep pushing.  Not sure it would technically possible with skins and what not, but I have wanted this for a while.  It would be expecially usefull on laptop screens.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up