INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11.1.97 Release Candidate - Real Media Question Again  (Read 3162 times)

Chae_Riley

• Recent member
11.1.97 Release Candidate - Real Media Question Again
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:20:16 pm »

Hi Yah,

Just me again...right downloaded the latest build which has the real media recognision built in internally. Went to Open media and sure enough I could see the rm files...from there I opened them up and tagged all to create a playlist. From there I then went to the DSP Studio and made the appropriate selections with the equaliser, effects & reply gain.

Cool hit the play button and 1st track started playing okay, no fade in though so waited for next track to start and no fade out or fade in (sigh) and none of the equaliser effects were in place or the gain...I then went back to the DSP and chose the Alternative Settings to see if that made any difference and nope no difference.

Next test was to choose an mp3 file and see if that made any difference and sure enough all the effects came in...could even watch the Peak Levels change within the DSP. So what am I doing wrong or do we not have any of the DSP functions working for Real Media yet only the fact that the software now opens rm files instead of having to import them.

Dying to buy this software but without the DSP effects for rm files then there's no point.

Hoping it's just a case of me not doing the right thing within the software.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: 11.1.97 Release Candidate - Real Media Question Again
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:39:57 pm »

Make sure you have appropriate DirectShow filters to handle RealAudio playback.

You need "Real Media Splitter":
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=87719

and a Real Media Decoder - FFDShow can handle decoding of Real as well as many other file formats:
http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+ffdshow

If you already have RealPlayer installed on your computer, you may be able to do it without installing FFDShow. But you have to install a splitter.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:49:21 pm »

I forgot to mention, for now only Real Audio files with .ra extension will be played natively (with DSP and Equilizer, and crossfading etc.).

Chae_Riley

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 01:30:19 am »

Real Media is already on the machine and the files play okay it just doesn't do the DSP features. All 4,500+ files have the rm extension I'm afraid so looks like Media Center isn't going to do the job for me just now :(

Bummer - ahh well the hunt continues

Thanks for your help and I'll keep my eyes on the forum

Regards

Chae

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 02:47:26 am »

Real Media is already on the machine and the files play okay it just doesn't do the DSP features. All 4,500+ files have the rm extension I'm afraid so looks like Media Center isn't going to do the job for me just now :(

Bummer - ahh well the hunt continues

Hmm... Did you install the splitter as Yaobing instructed? It might just be a file extension problem. Did you try to change the extension to .ra with a couple of test files?

Is the file format usual Real Audio? What is the actual encoding format you used when you made the files (the exact settings)? Or did you buy the files online perhaps some time ago and they contain DRM protection?

Could you sent a small sample file to us so we could try to find a solution? alexb AT luukku.com and yaobing AT jriver.com.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Chae_Riley

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 04:46:50 am »

Hi Yah Alex,

I'll install the splitter (RealMediaSplitter 1.0.1.1) and I'll also try changing the extension on some of the files. The files weren't created by me I'm afraid and some of the files are a few years old so they may have the DRM protection.

Currently using dBPower Amp to convert 250+ to mp3 to see how I get on with those and the software. If the splitter and changing of the extensions doesn't help then if I get time tomorrow I'll send through a sample file.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 05:07:05 am »

Currently using dBPower Amp to convert 250+ to mp3 to see how I get on with those and the software. If the splitter and changing of the extensions doesn't help then if I get time tomorrow I'll send through a sample file.

Remember that when re-encoding already lossy files the audio quality is always reduced a bit more. It's like making a new photocopy from an already copied text document. Even if you have the best possible copier a copy is always a bit worse than the original.

Using a high enough MP3 bitrate may help to keep the additional loss unperceivable. Usually that bitrate should be higher than the source files have.

That's the likely reason why Mr Chriz used a lossless format that makes huge file sizes when he converted Real Media files (he explained this in the other thread). No additional loss can occur with a lossless target format like Monkey's Audio.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Chae_Riley

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 05:17:24 am »

Well I've installed the splitter renamed a few files, reboot system just to be on the safe side and started from scratch again, selected the two files (ra) made the appropriate chages in the DSP and pressed play...

Not a bit of difference I'm afraid...it's getting late now so going to bed. Hopefully by tomorrow maorning the conversions to mp3 will be completed and then I can have a real play with the software.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 05:30:57 am »

Well I've installed the splitter renamed a few files, reboot system just to be on the safe side and started from scratch again, selected the two files (ra) made the appropriate chages in the DSP and pressed play...

Not a bit of difference I'm afraid...it's getting late now so going to bed. Hopefully by tomorrow maorning the conversions to mp3 will be completed and then I can have a real play with the software.

Please, send a sample file to me and Yaobing. The smallest file you have will do. I really would like to check the real file format.

I think your files are not DRM protected if you can convert them. Usually such a protection prevents that.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 08:25:47 am »

I will add rm and ram extension to the list of files played in DirectShow scheme. But if you renamed a file to .ra but it did not work, we need to look into it. Send us a sample file if you can. Also send me a log file. Do you get Visualization while playing those files?

Chae_Riley

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 01:13:55 pm »

No visualisation or when I watch the gain dialogue box it just states n/a where as a mp3 will show the gain changing percentages wise. I'm about half way through converting so once that's done I'll send you through the real media file.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 07:04:51 pm »

Still no support for RealAudio 10 AAC.  :'(

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 07:13:29 pm »

Still no support for RealAudio 10 AAC.  :'(

By RealAudio 10 AAC do you mean AAC (m4a) encoded using RealPlayer 10?

Have you tried the filters discussed in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30561.msg214907#msg214907

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 03:38:21 am »

By RealAudio 10 AAC do you mean AAC (m4a) encoded using RealPlayer 10?

No, although RealPlayer 10.5 rips CDs as .m4a AAC by default, they also have RealAudio 10 AAC (.ra) and Protected RealAudio 10 AAC (.rax).  I've got a couple hundred tracks from the RealPlayer Music Store I would like to play in MC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 09:03:56 am »

No, although RealPlayer 10.5 rips CDs as .m4a AAC by default, they also have RealAudio 10 AAC (.ra) and Protected RealAudio 10 AAC (.rax).  I've got a couple hundred tracks from the RealPlayer Music Store I would like to play in MC.

If a format is specific to Real (such as Protected RealAudio), there is no way of playing it other outside of RealPlayer engine. When a file can not be played using a DirectShow filter, we fallback to trying it in Real.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 09:14:06 am »

No, although RealPlayer 10.5 rips CDs as .m4a AAC by default, they also have RealAudio 10 AAC (.ra) and Protected RealAudio 10 AAC (.rax). 
When I open RealPlayer Preferences and select CD, I get AAC (.m4a), RealAudio 10 (.ra), RealAudio Lossless (.ra), MP3 (.mp3), WAVE (.wav), and Windows Media (.wma) as possible encoding format.

I've got a couple hundred tracks from the RealPlayer Music Store I would like to play in MC.
If they are protected files, the best we can do in MC is to route them to RealPlayer engine.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 06:13:35 pm »

If you could somehow use RealPlayer's engine to play them, that would be fine.
In case anyone was wondering, .rax files come from the RealPlayer Music Store, and I believe Rhapsody also uses the same file format.

Chae_Riley

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 07:13:34 pm »

Hi Yah,

Well the conversions got finished Friday evening, while waiting for the conversions I came across a DJ package called Rockit. This did everything I wanted except play the realmedia files :(

What I decided to do was spend more than I wanted to and bought the software and have also decided to just go and convert the real media files and stick with a more or less industry standard for audio files.

Thanks for all you help in the last few days or so and for addressing the problem with regards to realmedia.

Hope the software goes from strength to strength
Pages: [1]   Go Up