INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nano and iPod with MC11.1.98  (Read 2702 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Nano and iPod with MC11.1.98
« on: January 12, 2006, 04:43:20 pm »

Kewl.  I can sync the photos to iPod, but how do I list the photos currently on iPod?  I'm sure it's simple and I'm just missing it.  Thanks.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Nano and iPod with MC11.1.98
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 04:45:51 pm »

Uh oh.  I synced two photos to my Nano and when I undocked it it went to the reboot loop (crashed the DB, I guess).  That's not good, I'm guessing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 04:53:56 pm »

Nano is working with photos for me.  Is it possible another program (itunes) is also running and causing problems?

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:02:58 pm »

I have installed the new build and connected my iPod.  The iPod window now lists all 3000+ pictures that are on the device (previously uploaded with iTunes.)  However, MC is set to sync 54 files.  They seem to be my video files which are all listed as "File not supported" in the status column.  I have not yet synced because I have the feeling that MC is set to delete them from the handheld, even though they have been working until this build.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:10:42 pm »

After I reset (using iPod Updater because MC just locked on on the Initialize iPod function) my Nano and lost everything, I resynced all my MP3s using MC.  Now, 3.5 gig is in use on the Nano and no music is found and only 330K is available.  Using WIndows Explorers, I see the mp3 there but they don't show up anywhere on the Nano menus.  Something is horribly wrong with this 11.1.98 build and going back to 11.1.97 for now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 05:30:22 pm »

Could you try an initialize and sync with just a few files?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 05:31:28 pm »

can we get some quickstart instructions on the photo support before I install this?  Mainly how do we specify which images should be transferred and which ones won't be.

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 05:40:22 pm »

ok, I created a smartlist to contain an album of photo's, selected it to sync with my nano.

All works fine, but when viewing them on the nano, it doesn't show any albums, but I have them listed in the library, so I can view them in there.

What field is used for the album name on the nano ?
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 06:02:59 pm »

Try a drag and drop of a few files first.

Check your sync settings and make sure you don't have the option set to delete files not on the sync list.  I'm not sure what MC might do if you had photos on the iPod that weren't in the sync list.

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 06:04:21 pm »

After I completed my first sync, MC did infact delete all but one of my videos and added some new photos to the ipod.  When I tried it out, the menus were moving very slowly and some very strange stuff was happening.

So I reinitialized the iPod and started from scratch.  To test the build, I uploaded the following:

1.  A playlist of Audible books
2.  A playlist of podcasts
3.  A playlist of regular audio (mp3s with artwork)
4.  A playlist of videos
5.  A playlist of photos

Here are my observations.  The audible books, podcasts, and audio work great.  The videos again were listed as "File not supported" which was not the case in build .97.  I was able to get one file to upload on my first sync, and I noticed that I had listed its File Type as "m4p" rather than "mp4" like the others.  When I changed all my video to "m4p" MC immediately put the files in que to upload.  Once they were on the ipod, they all worked fine.  (I have not yet tried the m4v files from iTunes with DRM--I will check those next.)

As for the photos, all of the images in the selected playlist uploaded fine.  However, when I looked at them on the ipod I notice two things.  First, they were not organized in any way.  The name of the playlist was not listed, nor were they organized by album or artist tag.  When I uploaded photos with iTunes, it would group them by the windows folder they were stored in, so there was a way to organize them in managable groups.  That was not the best solution, but better than nothing at all.  I would love to organize them by smartlist, or with the People, Places, or Events tags.

The second thing I notices was the way certain pictures were displayed.  If a picture was oriented in the "landscape" style, it would fill the whole screen, just as it did when uploaded with iTunes.  But if the picture was oriented in the "portrait" fashion, the picture would be thinner and not take up the whole window.  That is also normal.  The difference is that these pictures used to be centered in the window.  Now they are justified to the left.  I think it looks better when they are centered.

That is all for now.  Great work!  I am very excited about what comes next.

Micah

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 06:20:26 pm »

There may be problems if you use both iTunes and MC to transfer photos.  Try using MC only.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 12:33:13 pm »

Sorry for cross-posting this, but photo support seems to be a moving target for now... :P

Well, I finally just got my new iPod video here in Mexico.  I charged it fully and saw that this new version (11.1.98) had only one change - iPod photo support!!

Well, that must be a good sign I thought.  I downloaded and installed, then I proceeded to build a few smartlists for photos, and synched.  MC told me I had to initialize first, which I did.  I do NOT have iTunes installed.

After the initialization, I picked my playlists, both music and photos, and started to synch.  It took about 4 hours to synch it all, including about 32,000 pictures and 5,500 music files.  Most if not all of the pictures are .jpg and the music is .m4a.

When it got done, I checked the iPod and found that all the music playlists are fine.  However for pictures, there are no playlists.  Just the option to view the 32,000 pictures in no particular order.  I could live with this for a while if not for the following.  The pictures are ALL shifted to the right about 50%.  What I mean by that is that the left edge of the  photo is about in the middle of the screen and wraps around the screen to show the right side of the photo on the left of the screen.  On top of that, they are all shifted up about 10 pixles or so, meaning the top of the photo (I actually think it is the top of the next photo, but I'm not sure) is showing across the bottom of the screen.  This makes photos completely useless for me.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Is there any expectation of photo playlist support coming?

Thanks.
pretend this is something funny

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 12:39:01 pm »

I completely agree on the need for playlist support for iPod photos.  All of the pictures are lumped together in the photo library in no recognizable order.

After my initial test syncs for a few of each kind of file noted above, I uploaded my entire library, which includes about 4,000 pictures.  I did not encounter any new problems.  My pictures are displaying properly (except for the fact that they are all justified to the left rather than centered in the iPod window.)

Micah

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 01:10:26 pm »

Since I am not using the fields name Name, Artist and Genre for my Pictures I end up with a lot of duplicates in the sync.

File names are al different, but that field is not taken into account in the sync.

Could the filename be added to sync algorythem??
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 01:25:15 pm »

For now I have updated the Name field with the filename and made it hidden.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 01:32:07 pm »

As for the photos, all of the images in the selected playlist uploaded fine.  However, when I looked at them on the ipod I notice two things.  First, they were not organized in any way.  The name of the playlist was not listed, nor were they organized by album or artist tag.  When I uploaded photos with iTunes, it would group them by the windows folder they were stored in, so there was a way to organize them in managable groups.  That was not the best solution, but better than nothing at all.  I would love to organize them by smartlist, or with the People, Places, or Events tags.

I used 3 smartlists to sync 800 photo's. They all end up in 1 big basket.
I guess this can be tuned, so it is possible to view a certain selection on the nano. Preferably by using Album, Events and People.
Pages: [1]   Go Up