INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Photo problems...  (Read 2533 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
iPod Photo problems...
« on: January 15, 2006, 09:45:51 am »

I just installed version 11.1.99 after using .98 to originally transfer photos to my 5g iPod.  With .98 all of the photos were shifted to the right, and wrapped around to the left side of the screen.  They were also shifted up a few pixels, making the photos unusable.  There were also no playlists.

I installed .99 and tried to re-synch all of my playlists, including a couple of new ones I created for photos.  The new photos seem to have been transferred, but not my playlists.  There are playlists but they are photo date, which is completely worthless.  I will try to rename/edit the photos to make this field useable, and re-synch to see if this is better.

Why don't MY playlists get synched?

Also, no matter what picture I browse to in the listings, if I press play, I get one picture, and it never changes.  It's always the same picture, and I can't go to a new one.  If I pick a different playlist (picture date), and press play (or enter) I get the same picture, and only that one.  When I go back to the menu, the yellow selection box has moved to a different picture, which makes me think the iPod is scrolling throught the pictures, it's just not displaying them on the screen; wierd.

Also, my podcasts are not listed under podcasts in the menu, they are in my podcasts playlist under music.  Okay, but is this going to change?

None of my video podcasts synched, but they show as unsupported in MC, so I'm not surprised.  Is there any hope of supporting m4v files, or do I have to resort to other measures to get these working?

I'll probably end up re-initializing the iPod and trying again, but thought I'd post my issues to see if anyone has any useful advice.

Thanks.
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: iPod Photo problems...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 04:23:18 pm »

Images get placed in iPod photo albums using the album tag from MC.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 04:54:35 pm »

Thanks Matt.  I've updated the album field to be the genre, as that's good enought for now.  I'll fine tune it more over time.

Any ideas about the other things I mentioned?  Like the iPod not showing more than the one photo?

Or the podcasts not being under podcasts in the ipod, but in my music playlists?  Is there something I'm doing wrong here, or is that just how it is for now?

Monday is fine, you should be enjoying your time off.

Later

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 10:56:05 am »

Well, I changed Album to be the Genre for the photos.  This worked great.  I'll fine tune it more later.

I then updated the iPod 5g to the newest firmware (1.1 I think), and initialized it again in MC (not with apple software, in fact never with their software).

I then synched with MC, and this morning here's where I am...

The photos are listed in the proper playlists, which is nice.  However, it doesn't matter which playlist I select, it starts playing the same picture.  This picture is centered left to right, but is raised off the bottom about 10-15 pixles, with the top of the next picture showing along the bottom.  The next picture it plays it again shifted to the right, a little more than half way, with the right side of the picture being displayed on the left side of the screen.  Also it is raised off the bottom with the top of the next picture showing along the bottom.

Also, it doesn't matter which playlist I select, or where in the playlist I choose to start, it shows the same first picture (centered and raised) and the same pictures following it.  I do NOT have shuffle selected in the options, nor do I have transitions enabled.  I have also tried widescreen and not for video, but it makes no difference.

The videos do seem to be working fine, but one of them does not show any video.  They were all converted with the same software with the same settings.  The one in question is only 4 seconds long, so maybe that's the problem.

Finally, the podcasts are not showing in the podcast menu on the iPod, only in the podcast playlist in my music folder.  Is there any plan for this to change, is it a bug, am I doing something wrong?

Let me know if you need/want any more information/files from me to help diagnose this.

Thanks for the help.

Here are my system stats...

Media Center Registered 11.1.99 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1594 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 130 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4243N  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 11:51:53 am »

Well, I'm now using v.108 and I thought I might have this finally working.  But no.

I wiped the iPod with apple software, initialized with MC, and tried again.  I had a couple of issues with getting stuff loaded, as I had moved some files from outside MC, and it told me some files were missing.  i cancelled the synch, and corrected the library.  I went to synch again and it told me it couldn't sync some thousands of files because they were not supported file types.  They were jpegs.  it did not tell me this the last time it tried to synch.  I found that wierd, and looked in the options and jpegs were not selected to be handled by MC.  I changed that (I don't want MC to handle jpegs, but wanted to see it that was my problem), and tried to synch again.  This time it worked.  I had to cancel the synch as I had to leave and wanted music, so I cancelled the synch.  I looked on the iPod and saw that the music was there, as were most of the pictures (it was almost finished), but no playlists for music, just for pictures.  I selected the comedy playlist and it went into slideshow mode and played the pictures centered perfectly and in order.  Only problem was that they weren't the pictures from the comedy playlist they were from another playlist.  i tried a few different ones and got whatever the iPod felt like playing for me.  They looked fine, but weren't in any order.  i do not have random selected.

I got back and re-synched the iPod and it finished.  i now have playlists but the pictures do not play any longer, at all.  If I go to the first listed photo playlist, it and select play, it will play one photo (not from that playlist), and no more.  When I exit back to the menu, the yellow photo selector has moved many pictures down the list, as if it was playing the playlist, but it doesn't display anything.  None of the other playlists play anything, although the selector moves as if it is playing.

Please tell me what i can do to help get this fixed?  I really want to be able to show people my photos, but i can't.

In the meantime, I'll initialize, and re-synch again; but I don't think it will help.

When it was almost working, I had maybe 20,000 photos on the iPod.  Fully synched, it's about 35,000 photos.  both with about 6000 songs.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 01:45:33 pm »

Could you try with 1000 or 2000 images and see if that works fine?  You're pushing the upper bounds of what we've tested against with 35,000 images.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:54:45 pm »

I've initialized and I'm currently re-synching (4 hours), with only about 4000 files.  I deleted my largest photo playlist.  I'll let you know what I find.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 06:20:31 pm »

Well, a little over 4 hours later...

Good news and weird news.

Good news - all the photos seem to be working fine.  They scroll through the slide shows in order, in the right playlists, just as they're supposed to.  YEAH!!

Weird news - in order to test this with fewer files, I unchecked my largest photo playlist (32549 files).  MC synched this playlist anyway!!  I double-checked after the synch to make sure I had in fact unchecked it, and I did have it unchecked.  I went ahead and checked it again and re-synched, and it did not have to re-add those files.

I just checked in MC and all of the files it was not supposed to synch are on the iPod, but they have neither Genre info, nor Album info.  That info exists in the library.

I just double-checked after the re-synch, and the photos still show in order and in the right playlists.

I changed the order of some of the playlists between the first synch and the second.  That newly revised order did not get reflected on the iPod after the second synch.  Otherwise it seems to be working, although still strange (buggy?)

Pages: [1]   Go Up