INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1 Hangs frequently on playback  (Read 953 times)

dansolow

MC 11.1 Hangs frequently on playback
« on: January 18, 2006, 03:51:14 pm »

Media Center 11.1 Hangs frequently on playback of music files.  When it hangs, it continues to make a loud vibration sound, and will not respond in any way.  The sound is similar to what you would get if you played a very small fraction of a second of sound over and over again.  When this happens, the system will not respond any further, requiring a hard reboot.

I am running the latest version of netremote and mediabridge, which does not appear to be the problem

No other program causes this behaviour (windows media player, napster, rhapsody, windvd...even playing the same songs) only MC.  I first noticed this with 10.8 after upgrading the vid card and installing an sata drive (the first on my sistem).

I installed the new driver for my MB SATA, and upgraded to MC 11.1, and this seemed to fix the hangups, leaving aonly a few wierd issues with MC (such as not shutting sown properly) but then after installing a 2nd sata hard drive, the hang-ups came back.

This is XP Pro system with an Nforce 2 based DFI board with an AMD processor, GForce 6600 vid card, M-audio revolution and Delta 410 sound cards.  The system handles prime 95 test without issue.

Any help and guidance is appreciated, I rely heavily on MC for a whole house music system.

dan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 11.1 Hangs frequently on playback
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 04:58:23 pm »

Media Center 11.1 Hangs frequently on playback of music files.  When it hangs, it continues to make a loud vibration sound, and will not respond in any way. 

That's probably a sound card driver problem.  Try switching MC playback between Wav Out and Direct Sound.  It might work.  If not, try updating the driver.

dansolow

Re: MC 11.1 Hangs frequently on playback
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 07:26:28 pm »

Thanks for the quick update.

I was thinking this, and updated the drivers, and recently installed a different Delta 410 (I have a few of these cards) and get the same results.

In fact there was a post on the M-Audio site about the 410 having problems with sata running unless I had the latest sata/raid drivers for the mb.  Tried that one.

The sound is routed through the delta when I have the problems, I have tried the directsound/waveout/asio, it seems better on dircetsound.

I am reinstalling Media Center, and updating all of the avilable drivers for my MB I(there are some nvidia chipset drivers that affect the sata/raid, as well as new vid card drivers. Hopefully I'll be there soon.

I'll post my progress, and appreciate any further ideas.

Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up