INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: media Center 10 Crashes  (Read 1580 times)

mbrew

media Center 10 Crashes
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:00:29 pm »

Greetings,

I've had this program for a while, but I only use it occasionally. It worked at first, but eventually it started crashing when I started to rip. Sometimes the program would just close and sometimes I would get a "Media core has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I tried MC11 with the same results. I haven't had time to deal with it for several months until yesterday. I still get the same results but I additionally had red X's over all of the art in the music library. The music would play fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled again and the library now looks fine but the program still crashes when I try to rip. It does get a little further than before. This system is other wise rock stable.

I would really like to start working with this program, but I don't have a clue where to start and haven't found anything on the forums that looks like a resolution.

My configuration is a follows:Dell Dimension 8200 Series
1.7 Intel
128 MB RDRAM + 2 x 256 MB RDRAM
40 GB ATA-100 HD for OS
WD 2500JBRTL Ultra DMA-100 HD for Data (Shared Drive, Music Location)
3.5 Floppy
CD-RW Drive
Lite-On DVD R/RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 4X 32MB AGP Video Card (also had this problem with an ATI 9600XT)
3.5 Floppy
CD-RW Drive
Lite-On DVD R/RW Drive
Hauppauge PVR-150 Capture Card (the Problem also happened before this card and remote were installed)
StreamZAP Remote Receiver W/Remote
Win XP Pro w/ SP 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: media Center 10 Crashes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 08:25:08 pm »

In the FAQ near the top of this board, you'll find a link to a thread about crashes. 

mbrew

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:50:09 pm »

Thanks for the response. I had already been through the FAQ once, but I ran through it again. The only thing that rang a bell was that I had the Stardock software on this computer at one time. I had removed it a long time ago. I did do another search and found a couple of folders that were left behind and I deleted them. I did not find anything that contained the suspect .dll I searched the registry as well.

If anyone has any ideas of what else I can check I'd appreciate it, I'm about out of ideas.

Thanks,
Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 07:54:18 pm »

Try this:

Uninstall, remove the registry, reinstall.

Rip a CD to wav format.  This will eliminate the encoder as a possible problem.

Simultaneous rip and encode could also be a problem.

Other programs that use the CD can also cause problems.

Please copy your system info from MC Help and post it here.

mbrew

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:15:37 pm »

JimH,

I appreciate your assistance. I came home this evening and disabled simultaneous ripping and encoding. I was able to rip without crashing in several formats. If I re enabled the feature it would crash every time regardless if format. I went ahead and uninsulated, cleared the registry and reinstalled.

I can now rip if I don't do simultaneous encode which I could live with, but 1 cd that I tried has a track that shows "failed" when I try to rip it out of either drive (secure mode). The program will hang when that happens and when I try to close the rip action window, I crash the system.

System info follows:

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1693 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 261 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2753 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050902-1326) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2763 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050922-1642) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8160B   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: LITE-ON  DVDRW SOHW-832S    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Thanks again,
Mike

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 05:15:54 pm »

Since i don't think there will be any updates to MC10 (and there has not been any for over 1 1\2 years)

you could demo mc 11.1 and see if the problem has been fixed in a newer version of MC
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up