INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Errors  (Read 2135 times)

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Server Errors
« on: January 22, 2006, 01:14:13 pm »

Hello,

I've been using Media Center for years, but today I tried to use the Media Server feature for hte first time and am running into problems.

Both machines are using Media Center 11.0.316. The server is running on port 2000 and I can connect to it from the client machine with a web browser at http://192.168.69.1:2000/

But when I use Library Manager to try to load the library, I get this error dialog:
"Failed to install package.
More Info: Failed to unzip file 'C:\Documents and Settings\lou\Local Settings\Temp\tmp457.tmp'.
URL: http://192.168.69.1:2000/GetLibrary"

If I put that same URL from the error message into my browser, I get a plain web page that says "I didn't understand command GetLibrary"

Does anyone have any idea what this means or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

-Lou

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server Errors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 02:02:40 pm »

What happens if, on the client, you do MC/File/Library/Search for Media Servers?

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 02:22:54 pm »

"Failed to find local Media Server"

I assumed search would only work if I left the server at the default port 80. Is that not true?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 02:31:24 pm »

No, it should find it.  You may have a firewall problem or a network problem of some kind.  Make sure you're not using a proxy server or anything that tries to route traffic to the Internet and back.

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 02:48:22 pm »

I'm firewalled from the outside, but my internal network is completely open. I think the fact that I can connect to the Media Server with a web browser proves that. Why would the Media Server give that error "I didn't understand command GetLibrary"?

-Lou

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 02:51:33 pm »

When you say connect to it with a web browser, what exactly do you mean?  What do you see?

Connections need to be bi-directional.

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 03:10:35 pm »

I mean I took the URL listed in the error message I got from MC (http://192.168.69.1:2000/GetLibrary, see my original post) and tried putting it into a browser. The browser then showed a plain white page with only the text "I didn't understand command GetLibrary". So that tells me the server is running, is at the address I think it is, and my client is not being blocked from connecting to it.

So if the connection must be bidirectional, is there a particular port I need to open on the client? It has the standard Windows firewall, but normally you don't have to do anything special to allow bidirectional communication when the client is the one initiating the connection. Any suggestions?

-Lou

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 03:12:30 pm »

I turned off the firewall on the client, made no difference.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 10:14:00 am »

Sounds like you are talking to some other program, not Library Server.
If it were library server, it would send a zip file in response to the URL.

Try using a different port (and make sure the client is talking to the same port that the server is using).

j

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 11:59:08 pm »

I already tried a few ports. Say I put the server on port 2000. If I point my browser at that port, I get the error message "I didn't understand command GetLibrary." If I move the server to port 3000 and again point my browser at 2000, the error is gone, instead I get a standard "unabel to connect" message from my browser. I have tried both firefox and iexplorer.

My server is behaving oddly in other ways right now. I'm going to try completely uninstalling it tomorrow and reinstalling, see if anything changes.

-Lou

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 07:02:47 am »

Make sure you're not running Remote Server (in startup options) and that you are running Library Server.

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 12:41:40 am »

That was it! I somehow never realized that Remote Server and Library Server were 2 different things. Once I disabled the Remote Server it was easy to get going.

-Lou
Pages: [1]   Go Up